Centra Care near WDW

Before the past year I had never even heard of Centra Care before but it seems like a lot of people go there when small medical issues come up on their vacation. Dac21 said it was only about a 5 minute ride from CSR in her TR, and I know Mickeysgirlz has been there, so I was wondering if anybody knows the scoop on this place.

Does it take most insurance plans? Is there always a van available from the Disney Resorts to get to Centra Care? Do they ever take appointments or is it walk-in only? Are they a pharmacy also, or would you have to go elsewhere if you were prescribed anti-biotics or something?

Oh, and is it 24 hours?

I am just curious about this place because I apparantly have a allergy to bee stings, Daniel felt like he got food poisoning one trip, and I’ve gotten sick on trips before so I feel like having this information could be important. :laugh:

Yes, yes and YES!!! To all your questions! :happy:

I kept my receipt, I’ll dig it out and get more info for you. The road to it is right by AKL instead of going straight to AK you turn left. If you don’t have a car, I was told there was a resort van . . . and I saw it, people getting off with their mouseears and pins, it was sad! :frown:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;997416]Before the past year I had never even heard of Centra Care before but it seems like a lot of people go there when small medical issues come up on their vacation. Dac21 said it was only about a 5 minute ride from CSR in her TR, and I know Mickeysgirlz has been there, so I was wondering if anybody knows the scoop on this place.

Does it take most insurance plans? Is there always a van available from the Disney Resorts to get to Centra Care? Do they ever take appointments or is it walk-in only? Are they a pharmacy also, or would you have to go elsewhere if you were prescribed anti-biotics or something?

Oh, and is it 24 hours?

I am just curious about this place because I apparantly have a allergy to bee stings, Daniel felt like he got food poisoning one trip, and I’ve gotten sick on trips before so I feel like having this information could be important. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

We (unfortunately) had to use this center in April 2007 for our DD who was 2 at the time.
We had a wonderful experience. We were told by Guest Relations at our resort to call from our room. We called and Centra Care sent a vehicle to our resort to pick up DH and DD. It was 10:30pm and we were told that they would come pick us up as the last pick-up of the day. We were told the center closes at 11pm, but they stayed to help my DD until just after 11pm and then they drove DH and DD back to our resort. We had to pay OOP for our care and meds, but we are Canadian so we typically can’t claim benefits until we get back home. But they were happy to provide all receipts and notes that we required. They also filled DD’s prescription on the spot, no need to visit a pharmacy late at night.
We had a wonderful experience using Centra Care and we would recommend them to anyone!
But hopefully you never need to visit!:happy:

I have a pamphlet with all their info on it, I’ll see if I can scan it and attach it.

Oh… for the bee sting issue.

I figured you were looking ahead at everyone being at WDW… you were afraid if they were as annoying as expected you might try to put someone in the hospital… and just wanted to be prepared. :laugh:

Urgent Care Walk-In Clinic, 24 Hour Board-Certified Doctors, Hospital - 18 Locations Central Florida - Centra Care
here’s a website for it.

and this is where we had to go when nina hurt herself.
Florida Hospital Celebration Health - Osceola Medical Center

[QUOTE=Andrea;997440]Oh… for the bee sting issue.

I figured you were looking ahead at everyone being at WDW… you were afraid if they were as annoying as expected you might try to put someone in the hospital… and just wanted to be prepared. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, that too. :laugh:

Thanks for asking this question. One never knows when an emergency can occur. It’s nice to have a plan if one does come up.

I haven’t read all of the other posts, but I will say, from our experience on our December trip, they were great to deal with. They took our insurance, and my husband took our daughter in while I stayed with our other two, he said the Dr.'s on were awesome with our 6 year old, bedside manners wise!

We were lucky, we go there as they opened, but about twenty minutes after we got there, their vans that service the resort guests began arriving and I am more than positive the wait was over an hour long!

They did give us a script and we did have to have it filled at a pharmacy. CVS was very close!!!

[QUOTE=NokeyNose;997537]I haven’t read all of the other posts, but I will say, from our experience on our December trip, they were great to deal with. They took our insurance, and my husband took our daughter in while I stayed with our other two, he said the Dr.'s on were awesome with our 6 year old, bedside manners wise!

We were lucky, we go there as they opened, but about twenty minutes after we got there, their vans that service the resort guests began arriving and I am more than positive the wait was over an hour long!

They did give us a script and we did have to have it filled at a pharmacy. CVS was very close!!![/QUOTE]

They gave us a script too, eyedrops for the pink eye, but I paid cash ($10) for them, cuz we waited HOURS!! The Doc on call got sick and had to leave, and the doc coming in lived an HOUR away. The place was packed the day we were there. FYI, there is a Walgreens across the highway that has a Minute Clinic, but they were so new, they weren’t taking BC/BS insurance yet. (second option if you wanted to take a cab there)

There are other places besides the Kissimmee CentraCare location, in case you need closer options!

There is another closer CentraCare just a quick left outside Hotel Plaza Boulevard. It is not open 24 hours (though it is open until midnight!) and it is literally just outside the gates.

Lake Buena Vista CentraCare
407-934-CARE (2273)
12500 South Apopka Vineland Rd.
Orlando, Florida 32836
(This is the place that has saved our vacations many times. Ear infections and so forth can really ruin a trip. They get you in and out fast so you can get back to the fun and they are great with kids!)
Downtown Disney & Lake Buena Vista, Florida Urgent Care Physician, Board-Certified Doctor - Centra Care

And there is another:

Buena Vista Urgent Care
(407)465-1110
8216 World Center Dr
Orlando, FL 32821
(Haven’t had to use it, but I have read good reviews of this place online, and it seems to be located at the World Center Marriott, just directly outside the WDW gates via Epcot Center Drive.)
Buena Vista Urgent Care - Orlando, FL, 32821 - Citysearch

oh yeah, by the way, I think that the CVS down there had a minute clinic too!

When I lived in Orlando I used Buena Vista Urgent Care as my regular doctor. I went there one time for an emergency and liked the care so much I named it as my PCP on my insurance plan. I would HIGHLY recommend it. The staff is so friendly and they are very good at getting you out in a timely manner!

Aha! That’s the exact kind of feedback I have gotten about it!

And the LBV CentraCare is cool because they have always prioritized the kids, so you have very little wait.

That sounds great! Nothing can spoil a trip like an unexpected illness. It’s good to know there is somewhere you can go.

Jess We used it in our last June trip - for the same reason as Dac. They accepted BC/BS. As smooth a gig as could be expected.

I had to go there on our last trip. I was pregnant with my DD(2) and had gotten bite by a spider (I’m assuming) inside the Haunted Mansion. It blew up really huge & had my whole upper arm completely red & swollen. So, I called my obgyn & he told me to find a doctor to see me right away. Well, my cousin lived in Orlando at the time, and he told me to go there. They were wonderful!!! and very understanding! I would definetly go there again if anything ever happened again.

We used Centra care for Chelsey with an ear infection, and they were fantastic-and I think you know I was admitted to Celebration and it was uh…weird. Good care, but very very odd Stepford kind of place.