Changes coming to dining reservations policies

I say it’s about time and I’m all for this change:

Select Disney World restaurants to charge fee for no-shows, will require credit card guarantee for dining reservations | Inside the Magic

Walt Disney World resort hotel restaurants:
1900 Park Fare
Artist Point
California Grill
Cape May Café
Chef Mickey’s
Cítricos
Flying Fish Café
Jiko – The Cooking Place
Narcoossee’s
‘Ohana
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Victoria & Albert’s ($25 per person fee)

Magic Kingdom:
The Crystal Palace

Epcot:
Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
The Garden Grill
Le Cellier Steakhouse

Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
The Hollywood Brown Derby
Hollywood & Vine

Disney’s Animal Kingdom:
Tusker House Restaurant

Now notice, it’s all the character buffets and the signature restaurants. The very restaurants that everyone always complains they can’t get reservations for.

I’ve been required to put down a no show deposit for Cali Grill as long as I can remember.
I know this sounds harsh, but this is a good thing. It’s one thing to be late for a reservation. To completely blow it off and not even try to cancel the reservation is a diservice to everyone else.

I’ve always thought the dining reservation system was wide open to abuse. Guests are able to make numerous reservations and not held accountable should they decide not to honour the booking. Hence why it is sometimes difficult, if not impossible, to get reservations at more popular places. This should make guests think twice about not showing, or not canceling, in a fair and appropriate time window.

I am guilty of holding multiple reservations while trying to make an itinerary, but I always cancel the reservations I’m not going to use. I don’t want bad ADR karma. :laugh: I figure if I cancel my ressies that I don’t need, maybe I’ll end up with someone’s reservation that they canceled because they didn’t need. I have lucked out with reservations that were clearly the cause of cancelation before (because I’m a psycho who checks everyday… multiple times a day… :blush:) - and good ADRs like Chef Mickey’s and Crystal Palace! :happy:

Though I do not go to the table service restaurants very often…only once per trip at most, I am happy that they are doing this. If you are booked to be there then you should be there or call early enough to cancel the reservation.

They should make it $25.00 per person. That would really put a stop to it. The planning and being locked to so many ressies is why we call the morning of most times. I was amazed recently how many locations were booked, but then I realized they were offering free dining the last week of the month.

Yayyyy!!! Now maybe things can revert back to what they once were when you could walk in “most places” without an ADR and get a table within a half an hour.

as someone who is trying to add to our existing plans, I am all for this! I’ve canceled ADR’s multiple times in the past 150 days and am still trying to add one for 'ohana. I think knowing they’ll be charged if they don’t show up will make people more likely to cancel in advance. Not sure this will help me in the next 30 days, but still glad it’s happening!

I wonder if things will open up… Hope so. For all of us!

I see no problem with this. We try to make our ADR’s far in advance and cancel immediately when plans change. I think the only real complainers will be those offenders.

I think this is a great change!

I like this change. I’m not one to hold on to a ressie if I can’t make it or plans change. I always call and cancel, it’s just common courtesy.

We need a Like button on Mousebuzz!

Yes we do!!!

Ok, I do have a question that came up somewhere else…what about in those cases where someone in your party is sick the day of that ressie and you won’t be able to keep it? I can’t see where that’s fair to be charged in that instance. I mean if you have a sick child, you’re not going to leave them in the room while you go eat at Chef Mickey’s, but if you’ve got a breakfast ressie and they woke up sick, you’re out of luck. That doesn’t feel right.
Even though we RARELY do ADRs anywhere, I do see how this would help the system, I just think there may be a few problems with it.

[QUOTE=mickeymommy;1092908]Ok, I do have a question that came up somewhere else…what about in those cases where someone in your party is sick the day of that ressie and you won’t be able to keep it? I can’t see where that’s fair to be charged in that instance. I mean if you have a sick child, you’re not going to leave them in the room while you go eat at Chef Mickey’s, but if you’ve got a breakfast ressie and they woke up sick, you’re out of luck. That doesn’t feel right.
Even though we RARELY do ADRs anywhere, I do see how this would help the system, I just think there may be a few problems with it.[/QUOTE]

That’s a very valid point. I’m wondering if you sent someone in your party to the reservation to explain that you couldn’t dine there, if that would keep people from having to be charged in cases of extreme emergency? They might be a little lenient on things like that (might be like the expired FP situation that’s being discussed, right now)… then again, it probably depends on the CM.

I think this is a good thing. I’m sure it will open some reservations that people would have double booked.

We rarely miss an ADR so I think this is going to be good for us.

This is very good news.

yes, a good thing.

I am one who at the 180 day may make a doz ADRs, (just to have something) and then over the next few weeks (still long way from trip) cut it down to half once I see what park hours are.

But we did have the last min situation on one trip, DH during the day got sick. Called up dining to cancel ADR. We did moved it to the next day with DH feeling better later that night. I would not be happy to have to pay 20 bucks for that. If anything, if they remained firm on the policy, I’d tend not to bother making plans to eat at TS and just do CS. I’m quite happy eating at a CS. Maybe if you miss more than one per trip, then start charging for missed meals.

lol, I have said that a million times (to myself) and I bet you and I are not the only ones.

I am very much in favor of this new development. As the lone Kraut on this board, I say: Let’s have some orrrder in ze World. Everyone show up on time for ze rezerwation and no coming late to turn in your fastpass, ya! :tongue: