Changes to monorail in wake of accident

I saw this on another site -

Below is a list of recent changes made to procedures or operations at Walt Disney World since last week’s monorail accident that resulted in the death of one monorail pilot:
• Guests are no longer allowed to ride in the nose cone with the monorail pilots.
• Added new sensors to all monorail switches and the spur line.
• Added additional set of visual confirmation to all switches.
• Require Monorail Pilots to drive forward through the switch from the EPCOT loop to the Magic Kingdom express loop. This requires moving from the forward cab to the back cab in the EPCOT station and then backing out until they’ve passed the switch.
• Monorail Control Coordinator is no longer allowed to leave the monorail station area without having a qualified replacement taking that position. It’s unclear if they’re also required to stay in the tower when trains are switching beams.
• Three employees involved in the incident have been suspended with pay pending the results of the investigation.
• The Behind the Magic Steam Train tour at Magic Kingdom has been canceled through October 12th. This is probably due to the close proximity of the train barn to the monorail barn. They’re in the same building behind the MK.
Some of these are just temporary changes and some will likely become permanent pending the results of the OSHA and NTSB reports.

I had a feeling guests weren’t going to be aloud to ride in the front anymore. I’m glad we had that opportunity just once! Maybe someday they’ll bring that back. Meanwhile, it sounds like they are doing all the right things.

[QUOTE=chris24;976901]
• Guests are no longer allowed to ride in the nose cone with the monorail pilots. [/QUOTE]

:frown::frown:

no more rides up front ; ;

i hear you there - i have been going to disney since i was very small, and always thought one of the greatest things was being able to ride in the front. i ma glad my oldest go to experience it, unfortunately, my youngest will not…

Is this all confirmed?

I guess we knew it was coming. Bummer though.

[QUOTE=chris24;976912]i hear you there - i have been going to disney since i was very small, and always thought one of the greatest things was being able to ride in the front. i ma glad my oldest go to experience it, unfortunately, my youngest will not…[/QUOTE]Same for us. I hope someday my little one will get to have that experience, but for now I’m glad my older 2 got to do it.

I don’t think so, at least a portion of it is most likely speculation.

Ughhh, last trip we would have had to wait one extra cycle to ride in front, but I was in a hurry and passed, saying next time. Go me.

Guests are no longer allowed to ride in the nose cone with the monorail pilots. (I read somewhere else this was temporary!)

Require Monorail Pilots to drive forward through the switch from the EPCOT loop to the Magic Kingdom express loop. This requires moving from the forward cab to the back cab in the EPCOT station and then backing out until they’ve passed the switch. (This RIGHT HERE is what they are saying that PINK was suppose to do . . . NOT drive backwards all the way to the depot! I also read that this Pilot was under medical care he was so upset about the accident. Even if he was in the front, the reaction time would have to be milliseconds, you can’t swerve when you are on a track!! Could have resulted in two deaths?)

•Monorail Control Coordinator is no longer allowed to leave the monorail station area without having a qualified replacement taking that position. It’s unclear if they’re also required to stay in the tower when trains are switching beams.

•Three employees involved in the incident have been suspended with pay pending the results of the investigation. (I read this as well on multiple boards)

•The Behind the Magic Steam Train tour at Magic Kingdom has been canceled through October 12th. This is probably due to the close proximity of the train barn to the monorail barn. They’re in the same building behind the MK. (This was on allears.net too!)

These all seem like commonsense, and if they weren’t in place it’s a disgrace that it took the death of a young man to get them in place.

Hopefully they’re initiating some sort of maximum speed that the “switching” monorail can travel in reserve, too.

I guess all of these changes make a lot of sense. I’m glad they’re at least making some alterations to procedure…I’d be concerned if they weren’t.

I personally hope the no-guests-in-the-nose-cone thing is temporary. More than for selfish reasons (I’ve never ridden in the nose cone!! :noo:), I hope it’s temporary because I know that that was a very enjoyable thing for the monorail pilots, too. It’s kind of like being a part-time tour guide and getting to spread extra magic to guests every day. It would be a big bummer if this remained permanent. :sad:

Mine have ridden up front, they even got some kind of Honorary Pilot card once, but I doubt they’ll remember it when they get older. I’ll have to look for pictures, hope I took some.

Suspending this on more than a temporary basis is really silly. You could be in the center car of the train and suffer an injury in an accident. The key is prevention. I’m surprised more in-train electronics were not mentioned (i.e. like the collision avoidance systems available for passenger vehicles…)

this is all confirmed - not all permanent, but as of now, all in effect…

[QUOTE=alandjen;977035]These all seem like commonsense, and if they weren’t in place it’s a disgrace that it took the death of a young man to get them in place.

Hopefully they’re initiating some sort of maximum speed that the “switching” monorail can travel in reserve, too.[/QUOTE]

there is - 15 mph

[QUOTE=Tiggerific;977100]Mine have ridden up front, they even got some kind of Honorary Pilot card once, but I doubt they’ll remember it when they get older. I’ll have to look for pictures, hope I took some.

Suspending this on more than a temporary basis is really silly. You could be in the center car of the train and suffer an injury in an accident. The key is prevention. I’m surprised more in-train electronics were not mentioned (i.e. like the collision avoidance systems available for passenger vehicles…)[/QUOTE]

I’ve got a bunch of co-pilot cards. I even started turning them down because, well, how many do I need?
Very very good point about the potential for serious injury regardless of where in the train you are, although; the lower the speed, the less chance of injury there is. Case in point is that the passengers on the train at the time weren’t much worse than slightly shaken by the accident.
And one more time for those who have missed this. There is a very good collision avoidance system on the Disney monorails. How do you think they’ve gone 38 years without something like this even happening?
The whole problem is that in order to back up and in order to use the spur to transfer from one beam to another, the collision avoidance system MUST BE OVERRIDDEN. In normal operation, if the two trains had gotten this close, there would have been a MAPO system shutdown that would have frozen Pink hundreds of feet away from Purple.

[QUOTE=chris24;976901]
• Added new sensors to all monorail switches and the spur line.[/QUOTE]

I find this curious that they were able to plan, acquire, and install new sensors so quickly after the accident. Or to quote someone else “curiouser and curiouser”.

• Require Monorail Pilots to drive forward through the switch from the EPCOT loop to the Magic Kingdom express loop. This requires moving from the forward cab to the back cab in the EPCOT station and then backing out until they’ve passed the switch.

I would have changed this long ago. In fact, if it were up to me, I’d have had both cockpits occupied every time a train was beam switching and running in reverse. If it were up to me, I wouldn’t even run a train in the wrong direction on any beam for more than one station and certainly not all the way from TTC to the MK station.

• Monorail Control Coordinator is no longer allowed to leave the monorail station area without having a qualified replacement taking that position. It’s unclear if they’re also required to stay in the tower when trains are switching beams.

This should have been SOP all along, ESPECIALLY DURING SWITCHING OPERATIONS.
By the way, here’s an eerie picture from April (the next to last time I rode up front). I’m pretty sure this is Purple.

Here’s another picture from up front. If I recall correctly, Gold(?)(I’m a little color blind sometimes) was holding outside MK station. Also, if you know what you’re looking at, you can identify the switches on the beams. Sadly, Gold is blocking the switches and the spur to the maintenance shop.

[QUOTE=chris24;976901]I saw this on another site -

Below is a list of recent changes made to procedures or operations at Walt Disney World since last week’s monorail accident that resulted in the death of one monorail pilot:
• Guests are no longer allowed to ride in the nose cone with the monorail pilots.
• Added new sensors to all monorail switches and the spur line.
• Added additional set of visual confirmation to all switches.
• Three employees involved in the incident have been suspended with pay pending the results of the investigation.
• The Behind the Magic Steam Train tour at Magic Kingdom has been canceled through October 12th. This is probably due to the close proximity of the train barn to the monorail barn. They’re in the same building behind the MK.
Some of these are just temporary changes and some will likely become permanent pending the results of the OSHA and NTSB reports.[/QUOTE]
I heard about Guess not being allowed in the front cab of the Monorail untill the investigation of the crash concludes. I got to ride in front of the Monorail durring my last two visits to WDW in 1998 and 2000. I missed the chance in 2004.