Changing the number in your party for ADR's?

Background:
I’m staying in WDW with DD and DH is going home after our 8 night trip. We’re on my Dad’s reservation so we’re staying in his room and getting the DDP. This is for an additional 6 nights.

Dilema:
They made their dining ressies before we knew I’d be able to stay. My step mom isn’t planning to add me to their ADR’s and just said they’d let them know when we arrive for our meals that there is an additional guest (plus 11mo old DD). This concerns me a bit. Will we be able to do this? It only concerns me because we’ll have the DDP and if they won’t change our ADR when we get there to accomidate the extra people, we won’t be able to find anywhere to eat so the DDP will be pretty much a waste. She doesn’t want to call and make the change with Disney because she’s afraid there won’t be any availability. I did look on Disney’s website to see what ADR’s I could get for 4 adults, 1 baby and the restaurants they currently have ADR’s for have NOTHING available.

Any help or experience is welcome. TIA!

Well, we’ve had mixed results with this. Because Daniel’s family can be so unpredictable we usually have to deal with this on almost every trip. :laugh: I’ll be honest and say that I’ve had MORE luck the times when we found out last minute & DIDN’T call.

When I’ve tried to call and change the party size I’ve been told numerous times that it becomes a different ADR all together & that there was nothing available for that party size. Although, in the event that part of his family decides a couple hours before, “Ehh, sorry, I think we’re doing this or that”, etc. we’ve just arrived at the podium of the restaurant, explained really nicely what has happened, and we’ve never had a problem.

It also depends on the party size, if the ADR was for 3 adults and you are just adding one adult that table would have been sat at a 4 seater anyway so it’s not as big of a deal, then they don’t have to find you a larger accomodation. I wouldn’t think the baby would big a problem anywhere since she’s not sitting in a full adult seat.

Good luck!

Can you make an additional reservation for you and baby? Then when you get there, if they will add you to the existing ressie and if not, you have a ressie all your own.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;988674]Well, we’ve had mixed results with this. Because Daniel’s family can be so unpredictable we usually have to deal with this on almost every trip. :laugh: I’ll be honest and say that I’ve had MORE luck the times when we found out last minute & DIDN’T call.

When I’ve tried to call and change the party size I’ve been told numerous times that it becomes a different ADR all together & that there was nothing available for that party size. Although, in the event that part of his family decides a couple hours before, “Ehh, sorry, I think we’re doing this or that”, etc. we’ve just arrived at the podium of the restaurant, explained really nicely what has happened, and we’ve never had a problem.

It also depends on the party size, if the ADR was for 3 adults and you are just adding one adult that table would have been sat at a 4 seater anyway so it’s not as big of a deal, then they don’t have to find you a larger accomodation. I wouldn’t think the baby would big a problem anywhere since she’s not sitting in a full adult seat.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Thank you. This makes me feel so much better. I just don’t want to get stuck with no where to eat and have to separate from my party to find food!

DD definitely won’t take up a seat and it’s entirely possible she won’t even sit in a high chair (I wear her in slings and wraps most of the time). There are currently 3 adults in their party and we need it to be 4 adults and 1 baby. I wondered if 4 wouldn’t be any different than 3 since the tables typically seat 4 anyway.

The problem with that is there’s no availability for ADR’s right now. We leave in 16 days.

I think that if you are going from 3 to 4 adults and there is no need to worry. I think the only problem is if you are using a highchair at a table that would only seat 4. I think that under the circumstances they could easily make this work. I would not worry too much…

I’ve added one person on at the check-in counter before and didn’t have a problem. If you make a reservation for an odd number, it is quite easy to add one person and make it even. It’s often just a matter of pulling up an extra chair. I don’t think this will be a problem.

I would not change the ADRs at all. Show up and be sat. I had one trip where NONE of the ADRs were correct and I was still able to be sat on time and it was during free DDP…no worries.

I know you’d have less of a problem downsizing your party than adding one.
Adding an extra adult could create some problems and your outcomes will be mixed. It should be less of a problem if you’re increasing from an odd number to an even number and shouldn’t be much of a problem at all increasing 3 to 4.
The baby would probably be no problem.
I’d think the best thing to do is play dumb when you all check in and act like you were part of the party all along.
Meanwhile, I would still try in advance to try and add you to the reservation now. I don’t know why your step mom would be adamant about not trying to add you.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;988727]I know you’d have less of a problem downsizing your party than adding one.
Adding an extra adult could create some problems and your outcomes will be mixed. It should be less of a problem if you’re increasing from an odd number to an even number and shouldn’t be much of a problem at all increasing 3 to 4.
The baby would probably be no problem.
I’d think the best thing to do is play dumb when you all check in and act like you were part of the party all along.
Meanwhile, I would still try in advance to try and add you to the reservation now. I don’t know why your step mom would be adamant about not trying to add you.[/QUOTE]

I looked for myself several times to see if an ADR was available for 4 at any of the restaurants we currently have ressies for and had no luck.

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll stop worrying about it and think positively that going from 3 to 4 guests on the ADR won’t be a problem.

Yeah, I think your party size is what will make it work, there are no 3 seater tables so you filling the 4th seat should be easy peasy. No worries, it will work out!

Have you tried looking for ADR’s for 1 or 2? Then at least you’d have a table reserved for you and the baby, and they could just try to seat you together. My parents decided to join us one day when we were at Epcot a couple of weeks ago. We went to our ADR at Garden Grill and I asked if we could add them. They said that they could do it, but that they’d have to wait until they could get 2 tables empty next to eachother, so it could significantly increase our wait. My parents opted to eat downstairs at Sunshine Seasons so that we wouldn’t have to wait as long. Also, in my experience they always treat the highchair as an additional seat. I’ve never had them just squeeze it in. When my youngest was in a highchair, we were told to book as a party of 5, because she needed a spot at the table also. So, even though she’s a baby, 4adults and a baby in a highchair needs to be seated as a party of 5.

Having worked in restaurants, going from 3 to 4 should be no problem. A party of 3 would be sat at a 4-top anyway. I wouldn’t bother calling.

I agree with what some others have said. When I have made changes before and added a guest to an adr for an odd number there was usually no problem and they did not have to change the reservation number. The only question might be if you have adr’s for Biergarten or Teppan Edo, since you will be sitting with other guest.

DD won’t be in a high chair anyway so that’s not an issue. :happy: She prefers to be worn in a sling or a wrap and has no patience for highchairs. Plus, since she’s breastfed, she’ll have to be sitting with me for the most part so she can eat too! :laugh: