Character dining with older kids/adults

I would love to book Cinderella’s table and enjoy a character meal, but our family of six (two girls who will be age 14 and 17) and two boys (19 & 21) would not enjoy that as it is too young.
Soo, my question is, do Disney regulars know of any dining experiences that teens/adults would also enjoy where there is a chance Mickey and Minnie will be floating around for a photograph? They’d be embarrassed if it was over the top, I just need to find somewhere subtle, ha ha.
What about Mickey’s backyard bbq? Is that just for little ones also? Or is that an experience adults enjoy just as much?
Thanks

It’s not Mickey & Minnie but a place older kids may have fun is at 1900 Park Fare with Cindy, Prince, Step-Mom and the Step-Brats.
I hear they can be pretty funny.:biggrin:

I had wanted to do a character meal for such a long time, that my teenage boys finally gave in for me. We went to Chef Mickey. It was very apparent that they were the oldest kids of all the families, and you could tell when we first sat down they were a little hesitant. Then Chip and Dale started in with them. I have never laughed so hard! They were taunting the boys to no end. The boys were having a blast! So, I truly believe your group will have just as much fun regardless of which character meal. I’m sure whatever character will adjust to the kids age and have fun with them.

Chef Mickey’s is pretty good, but it is very crowded and loud to us. Park Faire is a decent buffet and the Mad Hatter there is always amazing. I never thought Cinderella’s Royal Table was too young, they always make it fun and the Fairy Godmother gets everyone involved. We took my Mother last year for her 63rd birthday party and she loved it!

The Garden Grill at EPCOT is a great low key character meal. We usually see Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale.
Plus the food is wonderful!

“Over the top” is what Disney does.

My girls would have nothing to do with character meals when they were teens. It wasn’t worth the groans to take them.

Personally, I would avoid Chef Mickey’s, the Crystal Palace or Cinderella’s Table. Those are the “top” character meals and your kids might feel out of place and embarrassed. They really do cater to the younger set. 'Ohana breakfast with Lilo & Stitch is more low-key and the evil Stepsisters at Park Fare are suppose to be hilarious.

We have booked character meals for every trip no matter how old the kids were. But then again our youngest DD always insisted. Even on her HS graduation trip with her BFF the girls acted like 5 y/o kids. She is our biggest Disney Fanatic.

Book one or two and roll with it. You never know which of your gang will hop up for a picture as the Disney Magic takes over the Teen Grump Factor.

Well, after reading all your helpful suggestions I think I will book Park Fayre and Garden Grill and give them a whirl. I’ll just pretend I never knew the characters would be in there when the kids start groaning. The ugly sisters sound fabulous! I think the characters add to the whole experience and I really do want to do something like that. If anyone has any other wonderful suggestions, do keep adding them on here!

I’m 16 and only LOVE character meals !!! :slight_smile:

This makes me laugh-DH and I usually do at least one Character meal each trip but last time found ourselves not booking one because we just thought- are we silly having no kids and always going to one of these?

We are going to try Park Fare this time and go back to Chef Mickey’s too. We always have fun though in all honesty and if nothing else get some great pics with characters without having to wait in lines at parks!!

Your teens will have a blast either way I bet!!

Hey, they might enjoy it more than you think. Some of the princesses are pretty hot. :whistling

You really have to pick your character meals. The big cheeses are not at every meal. And you character time is pretty limited…thye’ve got a lot of tables to visit.

They will have to check their teenage selves at the door and enjoy what ever you choose. :laugh: You could also ditch the kiddos just go and enjoy it yourself!

I had breakfast in the castle a few times as a teen and I don’t remember it being over the top but it’s definitely a bit girly for the boys.

I have to add that we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare when we went in Sept 2009 and neither the step sisters or the Mad Hatter were there. I was a little disappointed since I was looking forward to a different character meal BUT the food was great and the characters that were there were wonderful (Mary Poppins especially). We’ll be going back hoping to catch the step sisters and Mad Hatter. I’d definitely recommend the restaurant in general.

You could always pick a restaurant for its good food and then the characters won’t seem like the reason you’re going. Maybe that would be better for your older children. Also, it’s been my experience that the characters are great at reading how much interaction your group needs/wants and will stop by for a pic and then move on if that’s all you want.

[QUOTE=TaraRae82;1066440]I had breakfast in the castle a few times as a teen and I don’t remember it being over the top but it’s definitely a bit girly for the boys.

I have to add that we had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare when we went in Sept 2009 and neither the step sisters or the Mad Hatter were there. I was a little disappointed since I was looking forward to a different character meal BUT the food was great and the characters that were there were wonderful (Mary Poppins especially). We’ll be going back hoping to catch the step sisters and Mad Hatter. I’d definitely recommend the restaurant in general.

You could always pick a restaurant for its good food and then the characters won’t seem like the reason you’re going. Maybe that would be better for your older children. Also, it’s been my experience that the characters are great at reading how much interaction your group needs/wants and will stop by for a pic and then move on if that’s all you want.[/QUOTE]

Steps only do dinner, Alice and Mary Poppins do b’fast.

We’ve done all the meals and I agree that Garden Grill at Epcot is lower-key than many of the others. You could also try Cape May Cafe. They have a great buffet.

my dh and i go alone now that our kids are grown up and honestly we have the best time at character meals. most of the time the character interact with us as much or more then when we had children… and arnt we all kids when we are at Disney… i agree with garden grille being the most low key… it is not one of our favorites.

Everyone’s a kid at Disney, doesn’t matter how old, or how cool, its the Disney magic it rubs off believe me!

We did the breakfast buffet at Cape May Cafe. DS(14) was a good sport about the characters and we really enjoyed it! Minnie, Goofy, and Donald grace your table at least once (hmmm, I think I’m forgetting someone). It’s pretty low-key which was perfect for us.

Well, I’m 19, and I still LOVE character dining (still waiting for a Peter Pan one :peterpan:… :blush: I could never imagine a Disney vacation at any age without Character Dining! haha. :wub:

But anyways lol, my family which consists of kids ages 2-6 and 19-27 always do the Spirit of Aloha dinner show. Now, again I know it’s not actually character dining, but it is a dinner show and the young ones and the older ones alike really love it.

There’s also Chef Mickey, but again, I think that is aimed for like 10 and under. ( and Mickey lovers alike!) All of the character dinings are sort of the same interaction wise. Akershus (which is princesses) is reallly laid back and not embrassing at all. But again, I know you mentioned your boys wouldn’t like the princesses dining. But, in my opinion Akershus isn’t as, “girly” per say as Cinderellas dining is.

Hopefully that helped. Sorry I don’t know about Mickeys BYBBQ. I’ve never done it. The Land has a character dining that may something you are interested in. Thats a pretty laid back character dining experience.

We like Mickey’s BYBBQ- it’s a lot of fun, with BBQ style food, wine, beer and soft drinks and a whole lot of line dancing with Disney characters and a show too with Sally and I forget the guy’s name.
Yes its a little corny at times, but it’s set in Fort Wildnerness which has beautiful surroundings and its outdoors too so a little different to other Disney dinner shows- not everyone’s cup of tea but we enjoy it.