Cheapest Airfare Tricks?

I’ve read on line that the cheapest time to buy airfare is on Tuesdays at 3pm EST. Anyone else have any hints? I’m going to try to get my tickets today. (Wish me luck!)

I agree. On Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s I have found better deals on business class seats for the job and on the non-stop flights for travel from Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC to Newark, NJ when we travel to see my father.

I heard tuesdays as well. . I also know that it changes all the time, so keep checking. Good luck!!!

With Frontier airlines which I just booked last week, rates changed constantly. I booked on a Wednesday, for four us it was 1120. Luckily they had a 24 hour free cancellation. Thursday the prices dropped so I cancelled at got them for 949 or something like that. Thursday night I found a coupon code online, so Friday morning I cancelled again and it came down to 869. Saturday night my sister tells me there is another code which gives 12% Too late for me my 24 hour period is over Thank goodness, it was driving me crazy. (HAPPY12 for those of you who want it) Plus the rates keep going up and down 40.00 a seat. It’s a game.

Not sure of tricks to get the lowest fares, but after this weeks experience on Spirit, I can tell you how NOT to save money.

Never again, Southwest, PLEASE take me back, I am sorry I strayed.

-Harry

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1104950]Not sure of tricks to get the lowest fares, but after this weeks experience on Spirit, I can tell you how NOT to save money.

Never again, Southwest, PLEASE take me back, I am sorry I strayed.

-Harry[/QUOTE]

I warned you. Oh wait - you didn’t read my TR. Dismissed! Rejected! Publicly Humiliated! Why, it’s more than I can bear.

I am so embarrassed, I have not been keeping up with all the Trip Reports. I promise I will turn the TV off tonight and catch up, please don’t tell my parents, my semester grade will be much better…

-H

More beer?

Well, Southwest is my only nonstop option, but it is $500 more than American Airlines with one stop. I’m wondering if I should wait closer to the date, or just bite the bullet and buy now.

Right now my Southwest roundtrip flight for this coming September is $328 per person. I looked at my last year history, and I got $180 per person for a September flight, purchasing in May. So, I’m waiting until we get closer to September, hoping there will be a deal. I just can’t get myself to pay over $300 for a little over a 2 hour flight.

The best rates I have discoverd is by checking the actual discount airline websites (Airtran, Southwest, Jetblue) three times a day; morning, noon and night. I have found that they will discount tickets for an hour or two then take them down. I have gotten some awesome deals that way.

Thank you! I can get AA write now for $208, but it’s 5+ hours, with a 2-hour layover in Miami.

I guess I’m concerned I’m “gambling” with the price if fuel prices go as high as they say they will.

Thanks! I will.

I’m also searching every frkn day! Luckily my trip is not til August… :biggrin:

I thought you were in Florida, FA. :confused:

Eh …:blink: nut me!!! I live in maryland since like 6 years ago:mellow: but my mind is always in FL:laugh:

I have no tips other than to let compulsively checking the airline websites totally take over your life. :laugh: If you search my posts on here, you will probably find at least 15 of them that say “Booking airfare is my LEAST favorite thing about planning a WDW trip!” It drives me crazy everytime!

Good luck, I hope you find a great deal!

[QUOTE=Cavey;1105053]Thank you! I can get AA write now for $208, but it’s 5+ hours, with a 2-hour layover in Miami.

I guess I’m concerned I’m “gambling” with the price if fuel prices go as high as they say they will.[/QUOTE]

Miami!?! I hate when airlines do that, they take you past your destination, lay you over, and then another 45 min flight to get to Orlando!

Okay my rant is over now. :blush:

well,the cheapest way is to get a credit card that offers buy one and get two comapnions for 99…or one companion free…last i checked us airways and alaska has programs like this…bad news the other day was that us airways and AA might merge,once again less competition and resulting markets getting tighter…good luck on air fares it is going to get tough…for the forseeable future…

Ummm, I booked our flights with cheapOair.com. It was quite a bit less than I expected. Still too much but what can you do?