Choosing a home resort

We are getting close to taking the plunge. This past week we met with a tour guide at DVC to get all the ins and outs necessary to take the plunge. After hearing about all the deals they are offering and figuring out what it would cost us, we have almost come to the conclusion that buying on the resale market makes more sense for us. Our tour guide told us that we could not in any way possible purchase points at BCV unless we bought a minimum contract with one of the resorts they are currently selling. BLT was appealing to us but the cost at 112 a point seems high when AKV is going for 104 a point.

Right now we are looking at purchasing at BCV or WLV. If money was not a factor, we would definitely do BCV hands down; however we can get WLV for nearly 15 a point cheaper.

After spending a week at AKV we came to the conclusion it was not for us due to a number of service related issues. My fear is that because WL is one of the less expensive deluxe resorts that we may find some of the same issues there. We have never had a problem at BC when we have stayed there and love the location. I know that WL is a boat ride to MK and we love the way the resort looked when we ate dinner there.

Our other concern is if we had to sell would WLV be harder to sell than BCV? For those of you who are members who bought on the resale market, how did you decide which resort you bought into?

I should also add that whichever resort we buy into will most likely be the one we have to stay at since we go every year for Christmas. Due to the busy time of year, we know that we will need to book at the 11 month mark in order to get the days we need.

Thanks for any advice you can offer! :smile:

We belong to BCV so I can’t be objective. WE LOVE BCV!!

We bought BCV through Disney a year ago. Our guide tried to sell use SSR or AKL because of the great deals being offered at the time but once I told her we were set on BCV and wouldn’t change our minds she got the ball rolling. She was awesome and we only had to wait 3 months for the right use year to come through.

I would call and ask fr a different guide because you’re guide is giving incorrect information to you. I believe they get a better commission on current resorts but I don’t know that for a fact. PM me if you would like the name of my guide, she was wonderful at listening to us and getting exactly what we wanted.

Location, location, location… and the pool

BCV.

Great minds think alike… like DT, we also purchased this past year at BCV. We bought there so we could have the 11 month window at the location we love best.

DT is right- your guide is not giving you correct information. Our guide was able to get us 200 points at BCV within a week! You can try resale, but DVC has the right of first refusal on all outside contracts which can make it more difficult to purchase. It is possible to do, though.

I think it’s funny that the first 3 people to reply own at BCV.

If you really want a sold out resort call back and talk to your guide again, if he/she won’t talk about sold out resorts call and ask to change guides. DVC will give you a new guide if you tell them you’re not interested in buying wih your current guide. There’s a referral thread on here if you want to ask someone here for a referral for a new guide.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;919042]I think it’s funny that the first 3 people to reply own at BCV.
[/QUOTE]

:laugh: That is funny! We spent Christmas week at BCV, and I think it just may have been the best week I’ve ever spent at WDW. I hope Pooh Fan picks BCV :happy:

Me too!

I’m so glad you had a wonderful week. I can’t wait to stay at BCV during Christmas…someday.

I’m pretty sure we would not have bought in if we couldn’t get BCV. It just fits us we love the pool and the location and the staff is so friendly. I’m sure we’ll stay in other DVC resorts but BCV will always feel like home.

How much do you guys love Art the greeter?? Isn’t he the best!!

Your guide is NOT RIGHT!

You can certainly tell your DVC guide how many points you want at which resort, and they will go find it for you. Now, if you are looking for a sold-out resort, you may not be able to get your contract on the day you talk to the guide. It may take several days or even a little more. Also, if you are requesting a specific “use year,” it can also take them a tiny bit to find it for you.

There are minimum points you have to buy if you want to go through DVC. If you want less than the minimum, you can always go through a reseller.

It sounds like your guide needs to go from all the responses on here. I suggest you get a new one and get the place you really want.

After nearly a week of agonizing over the decision to purchase VWL and BCV, I decided that it was worth the extra money to me to buy BCV. We made our offer and are waiting and praying that we pass ROFR. It finally came down to the fact that while I could go a year or two at a resort besides BCV I can’t imagine never spending a Christmas there again. That resort feels like home to me. I have never had a complaint about the service and I love the theming and pool. I could go on and on about all the good things about the resort. I knew in my heart that it was the right fit for us.

I would like to thank everyone for all of their input, and I will let you know if we pass ROFR. If not, we will keep trying until we get what we want.

Congratulations of taking your first step! I hope it goes through and the rest on the paperwork goes quickly and smoothly.

I know exactly what you mean about BCV feeling like home, we feel the same way. We also love WL but BC just fits us.

Now, I’m not a DVC member, but when I was looking into DVC a year or so ago, I wondered why people don’t just purchase Hilton Head or Vero Beach points, since they’re less expensive. I’m sure there’s a reason. But wouldn’t you still be a DVC member, and you can book at any resort other than your home resort, you just get first dibs on your home resort?

However, my favorite DVC resort would probably be BCV or BWV. BCV has the best pool and a great location. Boardwalk is just fun. BLT looks awesome, but expensive right now.

Congrats on becoming (errr… choosing to become) a DVC member!

Thanks. I felt so stressed over the decision. Finally DH looked at me and said it is bothering you way too much. Talk to me. I told him that if money were not an issue I would jump at BC in a heart beat. He looked at me and said if it means that much to you, just do it. I don’t want you to think every year that you could have been at BC if we hadn’t been so cheap. What kind of Christmas would that be?

I agreed to give up my numerous trips to Starbucks each week–hopefully I will lose some weight in the process–and one visit per month to the nail salon. I figure I can touch up my own nails once during the month. Then, we put more down so that the payments were close to what the VWL payment would be. We had enough money in the savings account to buy it outright, but we felt that it was not wise to give up that much of our security cushion during the unstable economic times. It should be paid off in 2.5 years if we scale back a bit and send in double payments.

I never realized how much money we blew each month until I really took a close look to make sure that we could afford to do this. I would take a guaranteed yearly trip no matter what to Disney every year over eating out 4-5 times a week any day! I say this now since football is over and competitive basketball and spring football has not started yet. Hopefully I will figure out a routine for cooking before we get into the full swing of sports again…

That does work and lots of people have done that. Even though we are teachers we are pretty limited on when we can get away. My DH coaches and teaches at a local college so he can really only get away for a couple of weeks. I didn’t want to stress over trying to book our WDW trips at the 7 month mark and risk not getting in. If I own where I want to stay I can book at 11 months out and relax.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;921279]Now, I’m not a DVC member, but when I was looking into DVC a year or so ago, I wondered why people don’t just purchase Hilton Head or Vero Beach points, since they’re less expensive. I’m sure there’s a reason. But wouldn’t you still be a DVC member, and you can book at any resort other than your home resort, you just get first dibs on your home resort?

However, my favorite DVC resort would probably be BCV or BWV. BCV has the best pool and a great location. Boardwalk is just fun. BLT looks awesome, but expensive right now.

Congrats on becoming (errr… choosing to become) a DVC member![/QUOTE]

The dues on those are higher. Also, if you go during the very busy time–like we do–you need the 11 month window to get the resort you want. During my time frame, OKW and SSR are usually all that is available for my entire stay at the 7 month mark. I have been renting points for the last several years which really taught me alot.

We felt the same way. We didn’t want to spend that much money and regret not buying where we really wanted to stay. Sure, we could get in BCV most of the time but during peak times I’m sure we would have some issues since we’re really not flexible in when we can go.

Isn’t it nice knowing exactly what you want going in? We had no question that it was going to be BCV when we bought.

It definitely was. We probably would have bought on the spot at Disney if our guide had not told us that there was absolutely no way possible to buy BCV because it was sold out. I even asked him about being put on a waiting list and he said that it does not work that way unless we were already DVC members. I told him that I knew someone who did just that because I remembered that you sid that is what you did and he told me that you had to have bought a contract with one of the current resorts before adding on at BCV. I thought maybe the policy had changed and decided to look at the resale market again.

I know that there are horror stories but to be honest I feel as though our agent at the Timeshare Store has treated us better than our Disney guide who made me feel very pressured. It all depends on the person you get as to how you will feel most comfortable. He has sent us 2 postcards reminding us that the prices are increasing soon and that we should really buy into it now. I thought I would wait until we closed and I would send him a letter saying that we bought BCV on the resale market since he would not sell it to us. In other words, he lost out on a sale.