Christmas at WDW

My 1st Thread - here goes:

I am treating my best friend to WDW for her 60th birthday Dec. 4-12 at BC, she has not been there in about 12 years and never stayed on property so I want to make it special.

Therefore what are people’s favorite holiday related activites to do at the world either in the parks or the resorts. I know my favorities but am always looking for something new.

Someone suggested an excursion to ICE, I am not familiar with this other than the website. Any opinions?

Try the Mickey’s very Merry Christmas Party at the MK. It is really fun- even if you ride no rides. There are many special shows, parades, characters, items to purchase, that are all related to Christmas. It really makes you ready for the holidays.

There is so much to do on property that I would not worry about going off property.

Also, try Osborne Lights at Hollywood Studios. It is free, but supposed to be spectacular…
Go see the decorations in the hotels- Grand Floridian is known for their gingerbread house.

You are a great friend.Does she know she is going? You will both have fun!

An excursion to ICE would be cool, I’ve heard it’s really awesome & fun but I’ve never been. Even if you decide against ICE there is PLENTY to enjoy in WDW for the holidays.

This is the website for ICE: Gaylord Palms ICE - ICE at Gaylord Palms - Official ICE Website

You can go to a Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, make sure you DEFINATELY take time to see the Osborne Lights at Disney Studios, catch one of the celebrity-hosted Candlelight Processionals in EPCOT, go see the giant gingerbread house at the Grand Floridian, meet & take pictures with Santa Claus on Main Street (not sure if there is a schedule for this but it’s usually set up in one of the little alleys off Main St), check out all the awesome Christmas displays at the deluxe Disney resorts, go “holiday shopping” in DtD & the Christmas Store there, etc. There is A LOT of holiday fanfare going on!

It’s not a Christmas thing (please forgive me) but a great adventure/splurge idea is the AquaSea Tours, snorkling at the Living Seas. We’ve been to Disney many times since my daughter was young and it was kinda getting boring for her (19 yrs - where did I go wrong LOL) so we decided to kick it up a notch and let her pick something she wanted to do. She chose the snorkling at the Living Seas in EPCOT, and it was ABSOLUTELY THE BEST DISNEY EXPERIENCE EVER!!! It’s around $100 per person but the splurge was worth it and made the trip for her and me too. She loves the water and is very athletic…me not so much but I still had a blast!!!

p.s. I’m not a small women by any means and was a little worried about squeezing into a wet-suit but it wasn’t a problem.

Just a thought…

[QUOTE=DonnyD;998706]My 1st Thread - here goes:

I am treating my best friend to WDW for her 60th birthday Dec. 4-12 at BC, she has not been there in about 12 years and never stayed on property so I want to make it special.

Therefore what are people’s favorite holiday related activites to do at the world either in the parks or the resorts. I know my favorities but am always looking for something new.

Someone suggested an excursion to ICE, I am not familiar with this other than the website. Any opinions?[/QUOTE]

i hope when i’m 60 i have a friend like you!!!:wub:

[QUOTE=hanwill;998715]Try the Mickey’s very Merry Christmas Party at the MK. It is really fun- even if you ride no rides. There are many special shows, parades, characters, items to purchase, that are all related to Christmas. It really makes you ready for the holidays.

There is so much to do on property that I would not worry about going off property.

Also, try Osborne Lights at Hollywood Studios. It is free, but supposed to be spectacular…
Go see the decorations in the hotels- Grand Floridian is known for their gingerbread house.

You are a great friend.Does she know she is going? You will both have fun![/QUOTE]

I agree with hanwill. Osborne Lights is great. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party is awesome. Go see the hotels. Okay, so I’m not actually helping. Just listen to those guys above me. :happy:

[QUOTE=hanwill;998715]Try the Mickey’s very Merry Christmas Party at the MK. It is really fun- even if you ride no rides. There are many special shows, parades, characters, items to purchase, that are all related to Christmas. It really makes you ready for the holidays.

You are a great friend.Does she know she is going? You will both have fun![/QUOTE]

Unfortunately she is so busy at work during Dec that I had to give her fore warning, but I would have loved to surprise her but she only knows part of the itinerary.

Horse and carriage ride - they are offered at a couple of resorts - Ft. Wilderness is one of them that I think would be really fun at Christmas time.

Other than that, agree with all the above!! Just a great time to go. What a great friend you are!! Enjoy the planning!

[QUOTE=staceyheis;998753]Horse and carriage ride - they are offered at a couple of resorts - Ft. Wilderness is one of them that I think would be really fun at Christmas time.

Other than that, agree with all the above!! Just a great time to go. What a great friend you are!! Enjoy the planning![/QUOTE]

About this carriage ride, has anyone done this during Christmas? Where does it travel? I’ve read about guests who stay at FW decorated their RVs like crazy. I was wondering if anyone had seen these decorations.

Epcot has Christmas storytellers (such as Father Christmas) at a lot of the counties telling about the traditions in their country.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;998782]About this carriage ride, has anyone done this during Christmas? Where does it travel? I’ve read about guests who stay at FW decorated their RVs like crazy. I was wondering if anyone had seen these decorations.

Epcot has Christmas storytellers (such as Father Christmas) at a lot of the counties telling about the traditions in their country.[/QUOTE]

Speeking of the Holiday Storytellers, do they post a schedule relating to the storytellers and are there set locations where to see them? I have never seen one and I have been there at Christmas 3 times but I would actually like to hit all of them this time.

I was at Christmas in 07 and I do believe there was a schedule. Off the top of my head, I remember someone at Norway, Italy and England.

All the countries have the story tellers and the schedule is listed on the schedule flier you can pick up when you first go into the part.

Thanks for the info - I want to make sure I see them all. What better way to celebrate the holidays then with a multi-cultural experience.

If you are willing to brave the crowds @MK on the 5th you might want to check out the taping of the Christmas Day Parade. It’s a lot of fun and you might even see youself on tv! Also,not on site, but if you have a car Grinchmas @ Suess Landing @ Universal is really cute. I thought their holiday parade was a bit lame compared to Disney standards but the park was nice @ Christmas :santa:

I thought the parade taping was the 5th but wasn’t exactly sure.

Never thought of Grinchmas, Thanks