Christmas Dining

Hi!

I was hoping someone could share their experiences and suggest a great place to dine for Christmas Lunch or Dinner in Disneyland. Does anyone know if there is anything special that they do just especially for Christmas. It will be our first time there on Christmas Day and we will be traveling from Australia (so will be very hungry! LOL)

I guess the ultimate would be to share a very special Christmas at Club 33, but who am I kidding!! :blush:

Cheers!

I’d say Napa Rose is your best bet for a nice dinner, and they do a special Christmas menu.

At least according to the Travel Channel’s Disneyland special. :laugh:

Welcome to Mousebuzz! It’s mostly WDW-centric around here, but they’ll tolerate stuff about Disneyland. :biggrin:

I can’t help with the dining question, but Welcome to Mousebuzz!

Red Rocketts Pizza Port
Is a nice place.It is a famous restaurant of Disneyland

Thanks guys! I will check them out!

And thanks too, for the welcome!

[QUOTE=Aldiss;1055523]Red Rocketts Pizza Port
Is a nice place.It is a famous restaurant of Disneyland[/QUOTE]

A Pizza place for Christmas dinner? :laugh:

[QUOTE=Disney-bound;1055524]Thanks guys! I will check them out!

And thanks too, for the welcome![/QUOTE]

I want to bet that the Napa Rose is booked by now. It’s so close to Christmas already. You better start dialing, darrrrlink

Thanks Dopey!
But I guess I am one of those people who plan waaaayyy ahead of time as it is not for this year’s Christmas.

By the way… Do Americans eat turkey for Christmas traditionally? I know that it is the traditional feast at Thanksgiving… just wondering…:blush:

[QUOTE=Disney-bound;1055620]Thanks Dopey!
But I guess I am one of those people who plan waaaayyy ahead of time as it is not for this year’s Christmas.

By the way… Do Americans eat turkey for Christmas traditionally? I know that it is the traditional feast at Thanksgiving… just wondering…:blush:[/QUOTE]

Our traditional Christmas dinner looks remarkably like our Thanksgiving dinner! But I think there is a lot of variety.

Love the super-planning ahead.

[QUOTE=Disney-bound;1051781]Hi!

I was hoping someone could share their experiences and suggest a great place to dine for Christmas Lunch or Dinner in Disneyland. Does anyone know if there is anything special that they do just especially for Christmas. It will be our first time there on Christmas Day and we will be traveling from Australia (so will be very hungry! LOL)

I guess the ultimate would be to share a very special Christmas at Club 33, but who am I kidding!! :blush:

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Club 33 is actually nice, but you will get better food offered at Napa Rose, Jazz Kitchen or Storytellers.

Thanks! It seems to be the unanimous response. I hear there are different dining options for Nappa Rose. Have you experienced the different table seating arrangements? There will be possibly 8 adults and 6 kids ranging from 2 - 8 years in age. Do you know if sitting up with the chef is better with less or more people?

Doing my homework well advance, I know, but every little bit helps!

Cheers!:laugh:

[QUOTE=Disney-bound;1062748]Thanks! It seems to be the unanimous response. I hear there are different dining options for Nappa Rose. Have you experienced the different table seating arrangements? There will be possibly 8 adults and 6 kids ranging from 2 - 8 years in age. Do you know if sitting up with the chef is better with less or more people?

Doing my homework well advance, I know, but every little bit helps!

Cheers!:laugh:[/QUOTE]

You have dining options with all three, actually. All three take reservations, though Storytellers gives you the option of the buffet line. But I’ve never had a chef’s table experience at Napa Rose, though.

Napa Rose can put you in a separate room, as can Jazz Kitchen, for a group that size.

The neatest thing about Napa Rose is when they do the tasting menu, where they pair foods with wine and you have a number of courses.

Back before Pirates bumped up the price of Blue Bayou, I made it a point to go there at least once a trip. Now, I end up going to Jazz Kitchen, where the food is better, and there is the choice of alcohol. =)

In the past few years, Napa Rose has been the “Must visit” for each trip, but what I order depends on financing. I’ve been getting into the habit of getting a good breakfast before the park opens off site, and then snacking on the Pteradactyl leg they pass off as smoked turkey legs.

I used to eat at Carnation Cafe on Main Street all the time. I’ve found that they made a seating restaurant out of Cafe Orleans; what was a cafeteria underneath Club 33. It’s almost the same food they serve in Blue Bayou without the price. :pirate: River Boat Terrace has been converted to restaurant as well.

California Adventure has Pacific Wharf, where soup in a sourdough bowl is well worth the time to stop and eat.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Oh, and try to schedule a lunch at the Golden Horseshoe. Try to arrive early, so that you get one of the private booths on the stage

The Blue Bayou is a definite for us no matter what. We love the Pirates ride and the atmosphere in the restaurant is unlike anything else we have ever encountered. :pirate: Also, when you’re coming all the way from Australia, you don’t get to dine there too often!(I’ll be sure to save a little extra though…)

I love the idea of private room dining. I want to do something special and really make it stand out from any other typical dining experience. It will be for Christmas day, after all!

I am intrigued about this “Golden Horseshoe” though. Do tell more!

The Golden Horseshoe is a theater of sorts- smallish stage, large seating area with tables on the floor in front of it, and then in a horseshoe on the second level. There are a few small private areas (4?, 2 on each side, first and second level? I’m going from memory and might not be right)… that are only sort-of private- you can still see the stage and everyone can see you.

There are two shows. One is a slapstick play, silly, hokey, fun. Really corny, but will make you giggle even while you’re rolling your eyes. The other is Billy Hill and the Hillbillies… also slapstick, hokey, and fun… but also incredibly funny, and they’re amazing musicians- lots of fiddle! Check the daily schedule and try to catch Billy Hill!

(Also- the food inside the Golden Horseshoe is okay. I recommend actually buying your food at the Bengal BBQ- stick to the skewers, not their sides- bring it to the Horseshoe to sit down, and then enjoy one of the big ol’ sundaes the Golden Horseshoe also sells.)

Thanks heaps guys!
I am so glad I found somewhere where I can be a Disney nut and not have people roll their eyes at me but actually take me and my inquisitive Disney questions seriously!

I can’t wait! At this rate, I will be spending most of my time eating at every place possible and not have time for anything else! There is so much to discover and experience, how can you possibly choose?

[QUOTE=Disney-bound;1062937]Thanks heaps guys!
I am so glad I found somewhere where I can be a Disney nut and not have people roll their eyes at me but actually take me and my inquisitive Disney questions seriously!

I can’t wait! At this rate, I will be spending most of my time eating at every place possible and not have time for anything else! There is so much to discover and experience, how can you possibly choose?[/QUOTE]

Are you going to be staying at a Disney Hotel or an offsite hotel? Or have you decided yet? The Grand Californian is truly worth it, but it’s not cheap. =(

Just as a last reminder, alcohol is not served in Disneyland, with the exception of Club 33. I was able to drink a cold beer listening to the Jazz Quartet below in the French Quarter. =). You can purchase drinks only in Downtown Disney and California Adventure. =/

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;1062939]Are you going to be staying at a Disney Hotel or an offsite hotel? Or have you decided yet? The Grand Californian is truly worth it, but it’s not cheap. =(

Just as a last reminder, alcohol is not served in Disneyland, with the exception of Club 33. I was able to drink a cold beer listening to the Jazz Quartet below in the French Quarter. =). You can purchase drinks only in Downtown Disney and California Adventure. =/[/QUOTE]

We will MOST DEFINITELY be staying at a Disney Resort! No questions. No other options. Disney ALL the way!

Even though we are all Aussies, none of us are big drinkers. (Strange, but true!) Although we enjoy a nice glass of wine or two after dinner, we will have our kids with us and we try not to drink in front of them. Small price to pay to be able to celebrate our favourite time of the year in our favourite place in the world!

We are on the elusive wait list for Club 33, but whether an opportunity opens up before our trip is anyone’s guess. To relax with a beverage and listen to Jazz wafting up from the quarter below… magic. ONE DAY!! :mickey:

[QUOTE=Disney-bound;1062943]We will MOST DEFINITELY be staying at a Disney Resort! No questions. No other options. Disney ALL the way!

Even though we are all Aussies, none of us are big drinkers. (Strange, but true!) Although we enjoy a nice glass of wine or two after dinner, we will have our kids with us and we try not to drink in front of them. Small price to pay to be able to celebrate our favourite time of the year in our favourite place in the world!

We are on the elusive wait list for Club 33, but whether an opportunity opens up before our trip is anyone’s guess. To relax with a beverage and listen to Jazz wafting up from the quarter below… magic. ONE DAY!! :mickey:[/QUOTE]

Well, If you can get a room at the Grand Californian, it’s a really nice location. Located in Downtown Disney, it is literally walking distance to the park, and you have your own entrance to California Adventure.

And by no means was I suggesting inappropriate drinking, but at the three restaurants I mentioned, it’s nice to have an option. Perhaps it’s just that I’m stuck on an island with so few choices, it’s refreshing (no pun intended) to have something on draft or a nice well aged red.

I was on the waiting list of Club 33 for five years. Then, when they sent the invite, it took so long to get to my island the time had come and gone. =( Not that I had the spare cash anymore.

One last warning, remember, Disneyland is in the Northern Hemisphere, the water drains the wrong way!

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;1063046]
One last warning, remember, Disneyland is in the Northern Hemisphere, the water drains the wrong way![/QUOTE]

Hahahaha you crack me up!:laugh: Interesting that you think the Northern Hemisphere drains the wrong way, not the right way, though… :happy:

Shame about Club 33 invite not reaching you in time. Argh!

But if it is any consolation, I live on an island too! Haha. But we are not short of options here! hahaha

The Grand Californian is our first choice. Many years ago we were fortunate enough to stay at the Wilderness Lodge in WDW and I think the GC is modeled somewhat on that. I love it! Very much up my alley.

[QUOTE=Disney-bound;1063052]
The Grand Californian is our first choice. Many years ago we were fortunate enough to stay at the Wilderness Lodge in WDW and I think the GC is modeled somewhat on that. I love it! Very much up my alley.[/QUOTE]

The Grand Californian is the best hotel both in style and location. It truly is a neat place to just sit and enjoy Disney. I’ve never been able to afford it, but I understand the spa is quite nice.

There’s only a few rooms that would be affected by the Monorail roaring through the hotel. Never went up to see what the noise was like.

But after the long flight this would be the best place to enjoy Disneyland! :pirate: