Christmas in the World?!?

So all of our trips to WDW have been in Septmber -thanks to free dining- & yes, we’re THOSE parents who take their kids out of school for family trips. So now that they’ve released the free dining dates & some include late December my DH is really pushing for another trip this year, especially since he found super cheap airfare. I’m reluctant since my oldest starts 9th grade this year & would have to miss 3 days right before her Christmas break. Making the decision harder are all the fellow Disney lovers who have told us what a wonderful, magical time Christmas is at WDW- 2 questions: 1. Would I even be able to get ADRs now? 2. Is it really worth it to go at Christmas?
HELP! :eek: DH would book it tomorrow if I give the okay…

Christmas at WDW is soooo magical :tinytree:, its hard to even explain - just something that needs to be experienced.

Not sure how high school is in Virginia, but here nothing much happens the few days before Christmas break as exams are usually at the end of January going into Feb.

Try going on the WDW reservation page and seeing what ADR’s are available for your prospective travel dates, even book if something you like comes up :happy: (you can always cancel it if you don’t end up booking a trip)

Hi Torie, I haven’t said welcome to MB yet - so welcome! I think I would go- 3 days before the Christmas break isn’t that much to miss- and if your schools are like ours, things pretty much wind down a whole lot before the Christmas holiday.
As for the ADR’s I guess some will still be available, its quite a while til Christmas? and of course people are cancelling all the time- its worth a try?
Go on, give him the OK- you know you want to !!! :slight_smile:

Christmas time is sooo worth it! If you are going, you better get busy with the ADRs. Our trip isn’t until the first week in January and I had trouble with a few of them about 1 1/2 months ago. The more popular ADRs will give you trouble, but you may be able to get something else less popular, but something you always wanted to do. Our normal time to go is last week of November and the first 2 weeks of December. There are virtually no crowds at all during those times.

Neglected to mention that the decorations will take your breath away! One year my sister-in-law and I got so caught up in the emotion when we walking into the Magic Kingdom, we both cried. A few years prior to that, my daughter did the same thing. It is just something you can’t explain, and must experience it.

Welcome to MouseBuzz.:happy:

There is no doubt about it that Christmas in WDW is pretty darn terrific. You could be entertained just going around and taking in all the decorations - but be warned. It will be crowded - VERY crowded - and you’ll have to be ready for it. It certainly won’t be like Sept. So planning is very important. I’m sure you’ll still be able to get ADRs. Especially if you try some of the less popular places (and they often turn out to be the best). I’d say go for it - everyone should experience WDW at Christmas at least once!

I agree that it is harder to take the kids out of school the older they get - but perhaps you could talk to her teachers and maybe get an idea of what she’s going to miss. As Dixie said - most schools are winding down in the few days before Christmas - she’ll probably be fine.

[QUOTE=llama;1087034]Welcome to MouseBuzz.:happy:

There is no doubt about it that Christmas in WDW is pretty darn terrific. You could be entertained just going around and taking in all the decorations - but be warned. It will be crowded - VERY crowded - and you’ll have to be ready for it. It certainly won’t be like Sept. So planning is very important. I’m sure you’ll still be able to get ADRs. Especially if you try some of the less popular places (and they often turn out to be the best). I’d say go for it - everyone should experience WDW at Christmas at least once!.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh! I hadn’t even thought about crowd levels!! Exactly how crowded- like elbow-to-elbow-close-the-gate-at-11am-because-they’ve-reached-capacity-crowded??? That’s always been such a nice part of going in September- we’ve heard the horror stories of the crazy crowds!! :eek:

Check the school to find out when testing is done for High School. We’re on Block system and our Mid-term tests are done 2-3 days before Christmas break. They used to do them after the kids returned but many complained they were spending their break studying since if they bomb that test they fail a whole years worth of classes, so they changed it. If your oldest doesn’t test until weeks after the break then you should be fine.

I have been there at the times that you are thinking about (about 8 years ago though). I noticed that it was not crowded at all at the beginning of the week, but by the weekend, it was really crowded. Expect it to be elbow to elbow at the end of the week… However, it is a magical time of year for Disney. I noticed by the end of the week, there were different things going on inside MK to slow you down, more street entertainment, etc… It added to the atmosphere. The decorations are wonderful, and while it can be hectic, most people are in a festive mood… I think as long as school is ok, and you are prepared for part of the time to be crowded… It will be fine… Enjoy your trip. If you are concerned about crowds, look at the hours on the Disney site, and it will give you a good indicator on what they are planning for… they usually have this down pretty well…

Let us know what you decide- please… and have fun when you do go!!!

I would like to tell you that it won’t be crowded. But forewarned is forearmed. As Hanwill says - a couple of days before Christmas it won’t be too bad - but once the day has arrived and for the week following - WDW is at capacity. Yes, the MK does sometimes close. That doesn’t mean you can’t have a good time. But you MUST have a plan and you MUST be at the parks at opening and take advantage of all Magical Hours. This is the time to hone your fastpass skills. Also, remember that with all the “extras” at WDW during the holidays, you can always find less crowded things to do. Visiting all the various resorts to see the decorations is a lot of fun. Going around World Showcase and listening to the storytellers in each country describe their traditions is very special. Osborne Lights at HS are not to be missed!

We always go in the summer and Christmas crowds were far worse than the July crowds we’re used to. That said, we loved our one Christmas trip and would do it again in a second. We went with the idea that we were there for the atmosphere and not the rides. We did get a lot of attractions in but the closer we got to Christmas the more crowded the parks got and the more we enjoyed the decorations and atmosphere.

Check with the teachers and get a feel for what will be missed. We teach up to the last day so a student would miss instruction or a test in most classes at my school. However, I would not want a family to pass up a special trip and would tell you to have a wonderful trip. Work can be made up, family time is precious.

Christmas time at Disney gives the word Magical an entire new meaning!!!
The resorts, the theme parks, everything is just outrageously different and nice.
Something to behold.
It gets busier the closer you get to and including Christmas Day.
Went to the Magic Kingdom last Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I would never have thought so many people aren’t “home” for the Holidays.
Frank

We have been for Thanksgiving and New Years, the days leading up to both were fantastic, low crowds, amazing decorations. The day of both holidays and the attached weekend were madness.

However, it was really worth it as everything is even more magical then normal. The other interesting thing, I don’t like crowds, at all, but even though it was shoulder to shoulder on New Years Eve, I didn’t mind at all. Not even the slightest signs of panic, and my wife was watching for me to loose it! ( She was very proud of me and got me an extra hot chocolate! )

Anyhow, if you can get there before the actual holiday I think you will enjoy it!

-Harry

We just made reservations for Port Orleans Riverside from Feb 2-7. We are soooo excited. We have never been during Christmas either.

I will say though, for the most part, dining reservations are pretty easy to find so far. I have had to work on a few things, but most are pretty easy.

Good luck, hope you have a magical trip!

We went the week prior to Christmas week a few years ago, we walked on everything! That part was wonderful. We froze to death though! The wind made our faces raw, we didn’t have proper coats, just layers of sweatshirts. You couldn’t buy gloves, socks or jackets they were all sold out. I didn’t think that we could have taken a cab out of the World to buy coats! DUH! We still had a great time because the parks were so empty! We went to Flying Fish one evening and there were only a few tables occupied!
So, I don’t know how your school schedule is, but if you can go the week before, GO!