Cincy "Down Under" in Tokyo Disneyland

I have to hand it to Disney. They did everything they could to try and bring Orlando to Japan. The rides were similar, the shows were familiar, the crowds and the heat were just like Florida. We had a great trip and are so glad we were able to visit.

Where to start. Lets start with the flights. What can I say… 13 hours on a plane is a bit much for even the youngest traveler. When we moved to Australia last May we spent 16 hours on a plane at one point. When we were planning this trip back home for a visit we learned that not only could we break up our flights into smaller segments, but if we flew through Tokyo we could stop at Disney. In all honesty, it was my wife’s idea not that it took me long to warm up to the idea.

The people we met in Japan were great. They were very friendly and tried to help us find our way. That being said, almost none of the people or CMs that we met could speak any english at all. Since none of us spoke Japanese we learned to communicate any way we could.

We spent our first day in Japan adjusting to the time change and exploring Tokyo. Our first goal was to master the trains and subways so we could get around tokyo. Our plan was to take the bus from our hotel to the main train station at Disneyland. After about 30 minutes we arrived at the train station.

I must back up a little and give a little more explanation. Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea are two parks. They are located right next to each other and there is a monorail that connects the two parks (It cost us about $10 to ride it). Most guests do not park hop. When you buy your tickets, you have to pick witch park you are going to each day. For the 6 of us we spend about $550 for 2 day passes. Our plan was to spend one day in each of the two parks.

It was nice to see the park entrance and the castle even though we would not be going to the parks that day. Once we arrived at the train station it was time to figure out how to explore Tokyo. We did not rent a car and our plan was to use public transportation. Looking back, it was a great idea but I wish we had looked at the subway maps before we arrived and asked how to use them.

To ride the trains you have to buy a pass. To buy a pass, you go to an ATM like machine and select what type of pass you need and how many you need. This would be easy if we could read Japanese. We decided to purchase an all day pass for each of us by selecting the picture of the bigger people (adults) and the little people (children). This turned out to be the best thing we could do. We found a map of the trains that was in english and were able to navigate ourselves around Tokyo without much help.

We took the trains up to Asakusa. We found a great outdoor market area and had one of the best lunches of our trip while in the markets. The restaurants were very small, and most all of them had samples of the food in the window. I need to elaborate a little here. The samples were plastic examples of the items you could order. This made it very easy for us to pick out what we wanted to eat. The food was awesome.

After exploring some of the temples and gardens in the area, we decided to head back into Tokyo to see what else we could find.

What fabulous adventures you are having! I envy you so much seeing (and living) so many different countries. Can’t wait to hear more!

My DS’s family flew from NY to taiwan with a 1 yr old. I felt sorry for the other travelers, but he said the baby did well.

Looking forward to more. :happy:

My DD and DSIL are in Tokyo now, and they flew from DC to Canada and then a 14 hour flight to Tokyo. I don’t know how you would do that with an infant Jo-Jo! :slight_smile:

They are going to TDL on Monday and Tuesday…I have passed along Cincy’s tips. DD is so excited. :happy:

Can’t wait to hear more about your adventure.

[QUOTE=Cincy;1136556]

The people we met in Japan were great. They were very friendly and tried to help us find our way. [/QUOTE]

Glad to hear things have not changed. Japan is still one of the friendliest countries I’ve been to. :pirate:

While in Tokyo we headed over to the Imperial Palace Gardens. We did not sign up for the tour that would have allowed us to tour inside the gates… note to self, sign up for this a month in advance. We did not know what days we would be able to tour the two disney parks since we could not purchase our park tickets before the trip so we opted not to sign up for the tour. Looking back, we could have booked it but since we were more focused on going to the two parks this trip we decided to save the other tours for our next trip.

After the Imperial Gardens we opted to head back to our hotel. We knew we were a good hour by train from our hotel and everyone wanted to be at the parks for rope drop. We grabbed a bite to eat and headed back. We arrived back at the train station outside of Tokyo Disneyland about the time the sun was setting.

Outside of the park is a small Disney Store. We decided to go in and see what we could find. The store was very small compared to what you would find on Main Street in Orlando. We looked around a noticed a few things. (1) Very few shirts to choose from. (2) Almost no pins to buy (we learned later on that pin trading is not popular at all). (3) The Disney CMs were just as friendly and customer focused as they are in the US. (4) Almost nobody spoke english.

Looking back on our visit it is obvious that most of the guests in the parks the two days we were there are from Japan. To them, it was like going to Six Flags. Most everyone took the train in and very few were staying at the Disney Hotels. That explains why there are so few Disney Hotels in Japan. Also, souvenir shopping… not all that big. The Disney Store we found outside of Tokyo Disneyland that night was one of the biggest stores with the best selection on property.

We took a few photos of the area and headed back to our hotel. Tomorrow is our first day inside a Tokyo Disney Park.

Nice pictures! Interesting to read the differences in the Parks. My dd’s friend is a teacher in Japan (and dedicated Disney fanatic). She’s found some really unique, different souvenirs than the ones at WDW, at least. She bought dd a pair of clip-on Stitch ears that we haven’t seen anywhere else. Last time she wore them at the MK people were stopping her and asking where she got them. Looking forward to reading more!

Japan is currently the #1 country on my dream travel list… not sure if I’ll ever get there in reality so I was SO EXCITED to see this trip report pop up in my new posts!! I can’t wait to see all your pictures and read about all your adventures! Great pix so far!

It’s so interesting to read about the differences! Can’t wait to read more!

Glad you are all following along.

Here is another photo from our first day in Tokyo… it is not coke, but it was very close and I thought it was very good. We loved the fact that there were vending machines all over. You did not see Coke and Pepsi products in them. The machines were full of tea, juice or water. We do not drink a lot of soda so it was nice to have the vending machines. The average cost was $1.50 but since we pay about $3 for a 20oz bottle in Australia we were in heaven.

Since we could not read the labels, we had to guess what they would taste like based on the pictures on the labels. Note to self, just because there is a picture of an apple on the bottle does not mean the drink will taste like apples.

[QUOTE=Cincy;1136620]
Since we could not read the labels, we had to guess what they would taste like based on the pictures on the labels. Note to self, just because there is a picture of an apple on the bottle does not mean the drink will taste like apples.[/QUOTE]

You have to be careful there. You might be drinking beatlejuice.

Get it?

Apple Label.

Beatles.

Ha ha. I kill myself. :laugh:

Remember to tip your waitress.

Try the veal! :pirate:

It is funny you mention tipping. Outside of the US, hardly anyone tips. If we were to leave a tip at a restaurant here in Australia, they would not know what it is.

We still had not adjusted to the time in Tokyo so sleep was hard to come by the night before we went to Tokyo Disneyland. We intended to be at rope drop, then again if you know us we are always at rope drop, so we told the kids we would wake them at 6am. Patrick was just a little too eager to get to the park.

I can’t speak for the Disney hotels as we were staying in a Disney Partner Hotel, but the rooms in most hotels in Tokyo were very small. Since we were only sleeping at the hotel we did not care. The six of us stayed in a room with all of our luggage. Remember, we were gone from Australia for 30 days so we had a lot of bags.

That being said, the room was fine. The hotel staff were very friendly, and I must comment about the bathrooms. Anyone who has seen the newest Cars movies saw that the toilets in Japan are a little bit different. They have these buttons on the side of them that when you push them water, or air magically appear. It is hard to tell which button does what since everything is in Japanese, but let me say this. When we move back to the US, I am getting one of these toilets for our bathroom.

We arrived at Tokyo Disneyland about 45 minutes before rope drop. Unlike the US parks, you do not go through the turnstiles until the park opens. There are no characters out to welcome you, nothing. Everyone is standing in line waiting to get in.

A better shot of the monorail as it went by. The monorail connects the two parks and goes to the Disney Hotels. It cost about $1.50 per person to ride. Inside the monorail it is more like a subway car rather than what you would see at Walt Disney World. That being said, we still enjoyed our ride on monorail later on when we rode it.

Here is a picture of the lines you waited in. The longer lines are the people waiting to get in. The shorter lines are for those who are needing to buy tickets, or if you need to exchange your voucher to pick up your ticket.

When you purchase a ticket to the park you have to pick what park you are going to, and what day you are going. If the park sells out, you are out of luck. We thought we were smart by purchasing our passes from the hotel and since it was a Disney Partner Hotel, they were able to print off our actual tickets for us. We did not have to stand in the shorter lines. That being said, with 30 minutes to kill, you had more than enough time to pick up your ticket if you needed to.

Once inside the gates it was just like Walt Disney World. There we saw Mickey and Minnie and several other characters. The wait times to see them was posted at 50 minutes. We opted to hit the rides.

In this picture you see “Main Street”. Notice the roof. While it does block the view of the castle. It sure made it great for those rainy afternoons. The shops and restaurants looked very much like Disney World. Once we went up and turned right to go towards Adventure Land, it looked more like Disneyland and the New Orleans Square area. I had heard there was a club 33 in Tokyo Disneyland but it was not located in this area. They actually have it on Center Street.

The park was laid out just like Walt Disney World for the most part. Castle in the middle, Main Street down front, Adventureland to the Left, Tomorrowland to the right. Here is a link to a map of the park. Not only did we make sure we asked for an English map, we got 2 just in case. They keep them behind the counter so be sure to ask for one if you go.

http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/access/mapdownload/pdf/EN_TDL_atr.pdf

I have been looking forward to this report.:heart:

…you don’t know how timely your report is!!! I am passing on some of your report info to my DD and DSIL in Tokyo, as they prepare for their visit on Monday.

…I am really enjoying hearing about the differences in the parks…and here I thought DLP was a lot different… Tokyo is definitely different.

Thanks so much for sharing this trip report…I can’t want to read and see more! :happy: