CLUELESS About Disneyland!

Okay MBer’s! I need your help! hahaha. Okay, so I know verrrrry little about Disneyland. And I know that in general this is going to be a hard question to answer, but honestly any little bit would help.

So, as some of you may know from my previous post, I am looking forward to applying for the DLCS (Disneyland Careerstart)! But, I have NEVER been to Disneyland or California at allll. I have some family that lives in N. Cali, but thats about it!

So is there any advice anyone can give me, or tips, or just plain information!! Anything would help, about working in DL, about the parks, about Southern California. Apartments, things like that.

I’m considering convincing my parents to take me on a little trips there to look over apartments and take a real look at the park before I leave! After all if I don’t know if I like it, how can I be sure if I’ll be able to do it!

It’s not set in stone that I’ll be doing the CS before going to college, but right now it’s looking like that’s my plan of action!

Thank you guys!!

Well, I can tell you that the apartments will be expensive and the traffic is bad. Probably no worse than Phili though.

LA is a cool place to visit. There is so much to do, but I can’t imagine living there. But, if you’re going to work in DL…

We’ve been many times to DL so ask a specific question and maybe we can help.

[QUOTE=evansfmly5;945430]Well, I can tell you that the apartments will be expensive and the traffic is bad. Probably no worse than Phili though.

LA is a cool place to visit. There is so much to do, but I can’t imagine living there. But, if you’re going to work in DL…

We’ve been many times to DL so ask a specific question and maybe we can help.[/QUOTE]

Haha, oh yes… the traffic, I’ve been dreading that. But I was hoping SoCal near Anaheim and such would be a little better. And yeah, I can’t imagine living in LA either. It wouldn’t be a permanent thing at all. I’m just thinking of it as a, study abroad sort of experience! An extended visit. lol.

Oh yes, and the apartments, I imagine the price is insane, but Philadelphia is prettty expensive too, I imagine Cali to be worse though lol.

But thank you, yeah, let me think and I’ll get back to you. I know I have a ton of questions about Disneyland, I just can’t think of any right now, haha, brain freeze!

The apartment in OC are expensive we lived out there for a couple years and that was 12 yrs ago. The rent have gone up. We had a 2 bedroom apartment in Tustin (7 miles south off of 5) that cost us 1200 a month plus utilities. (Approx 1900) but that was in a nice complex. But still it going cost you. The traffic is easier is heavy but lot easier to drive than the parkway thru Philly. Taxes will run you about 40% of your pay thru state, fed and sales taxes.

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;945428]Okay
So is there any advice anyone can give me, or tips, or just plain information!! Anything would help, about working in DL, about the parks, about Southern California. Apartments, things like that. [/QUOTE]

California can be expensive, and real estate is the same way. What you end up paying for an apartment is almost half the square footage elsewhere, with the exception of Washington, D.C. and New York… One normally needs a car to get around Southern California. And it’s a good idea to have one, just to get away to the beach or the Mountains. Or even take that road trip to San Diego or up to San Francisco. But since I’ve never lived in Anaheim, perhaps you might want to ask Dznygrl or Anaheimboy…

There are a few mousebuzzers who have worked at Disneyland, so they can fill you in on work stuff.

The parks themselves are much smaller than at WDW, so it’s “comfy”, or “cozy”… (read easy to get from point a to point b)

One thing I noticed, however. You never really meet your neighbors unless there’s an earthquake. Unless you get lucky and strike up a friendship, everyone is usually “out the door and in the car and on their way”. Probably the easiest way to approach Southern California is to watch the Steve Martin movie “L.A. STORY”. It gives you a funny look at the odd parts of Southern California…

Take this from a Past Disneyland CM and a Current Disney Store CM - Myself, Dznygrl also worked at DLR too.
*Living costs, expensive, I was paying 550.00 a month for a room.
*Pay rate for Disneyland CMs, not very high.
*Job Qualities for Disneyland CMs, very fun, rewarding and tiring, though the CM break areas arent the greatest…especially the “In-Between” cast cafeteria…hahaha! Disneyland is a great place to work in general and is fun, the pay isnt always all that great but the job in return makes up for it, im my opinion.

Traffic in Southern California is bad, I dont mind it because I grew up with it and love the urban feel of LA/California. You dont really meet many of your neighbors because everyone is always on the run, I was lucky enough to know a few of them because they were always in their garage working on things, most people in my area of town were fairly nice…I lived just 3 blocks behind Team Disney Anaheim so I was lucky enough the only morning/evening traffic I had to deal with was crossing 2 cross-walks, hahaha.

If you have never lived in SoCal it may be a bit of a culture shock for you. Its huge, there is tons to do (plenty to do right at DLR itself and right in the area).

DLR is much smaller than WDW, everything is basically within walking Distance in the resort district…kind of, but it is also much cozier and a lot more detail oriented than what you will find at WDW and CM’s are much nice than they are at WDW, things operate much more smoothly I feel at DLR. DLR has just as many attractions as WDW has and things are different as I said before, both places are great but I feel DLR is a much better place to work if youre going to work for the Parks and Resorts division of the Company.

Feel free to PM me or email me - timhendry@gmail.com or instant message me with any questions, I can go on for hours talking about DLR, haha! :smile:

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;945522]California can be expensive, and real estate is the same way. What you end up paying for an apartment is almost half the square footage elsewhere, with the exception of Washington, D.C. and New York… One normally needs a car to get around Southern California. And it’s a good idea to have one, just to get away to the beach or the Mountains. Or even take that road trip to San Diego or up to San Francisco. But since I’ve never lived in Anaheim, perhaps you might want to ask Dznygrl or Anaheimboy…

There are a few mousebuzzers who have worked at Disneyland, so they can fill you in on work stuff.

The parks themselves are much smaller than at WDW, so it’s “comfy”, or “cozy”… (read easy to get from point a to point b)

One thing I noticed, however. You never really meet your neighbors unless there’s an earthquake. Unless you get lucky and strike up a friendship, everyone is usually “out the door and in the car and on their way”. Probably the easiest way to approach Southern California is to watch the Steve Martin movie “L.A. STORY”. It gives you a funny look at the odd parts of Southern California…[/QUOTE]

Haha, thank you so much. You’ve given me a lot of help and good tips! :smiley:

[QUOTE=anaheimboy;945619]Take this from a Past Disneyland CM and a Current Disney Store CM - Myself, Dznygrl also worked at DLR too.
*Living costs, expensive, I was paying 550.00 a month for a room.
*Pay rate for Disneyland CMs, not very high.
*Job Qualities for Disneyland CMs, very fun, rewarding and tiring, though the CM break areas arent the greatest…especially the “In-Between” cast cafeteria…hahaha! Disneyland is a great place to work in general and is fun, the pay isnt always all that great but the job in return makes up for it, im my opinion.

Traffic in Southern California is bad, I dont mind it because I grew up with it and love the urban feel of LA/California. You dont really meet many of your neighbors because everyone is always on the run, I was lucky enough to know a few of them because they were always in their garage working on things, most people in my area of town were fairly nice…I lived just 3 blocks behind Team Disney Anaheim so I was lucky enough the only morning/evening traffic I had to deal with was crossing 2 cross-walks, hahaha.

If you have never lived in SoCal it may be a bit of a culture shock for you. Its huge, there is tons to do (plenty to do right at DLR itself and right in the area).

DLR is much smaller than WDW, everything is basically within walking Distance in the resort district…kind of, but it is also much cozier and a lot more detail oriented than what you will find at WDW and CM’s are much nice than they are at WDW, things operate much more smoothly I feel at DLR. DLR has just as many attractions as WDW has and things are different as I said before, both places are great but I feel DLR is a much better place to work if youre going to work for the Parks and Resorts division of the Company.

Feel free to PM me or email me - timhendry@gmail.com or instant message me with any questions, I can go on for hours talking about DLR, haha! :smile:[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! And yes, I have tons of questions. I will definitely take you up on the PM question offer! Thank you so much, again. It really is a huge help.

And yeah, I imagine it’s going to be a shock. The east coast is so different. haha. And I never really ever planned on going to California. But I’m hoping that I’ll love it while I’m there.

So far the hardest part has been finding an apartment that allows my dog! They want me to to bring her for a pet interview… kinda weird. haha. But hey, they all seem to want that, even though it kinda sucks.

StaceyDarling, please feel free to PM me anytime too! :happy: Always happy to help!!

Thank you so much! I will most def take you up on that! :smiley: