Coming to america trip report

Guess I can’t delay any longer. It’s time to start my TR and reflect on the wonderful time we had in the USA.
As some of you are aware, this trip included a visit to Las Vegas. Our DD had turned 21 and this was part of her 21st birthday celebrations.
However, we will start as always with Walt Disney World.

Our flight was from Manchester, UK with Virgin Atlantic. We arrived at the airport in plenty of time, and made our way to the gate. The flight left at 10.25, and as is most usual on VA flights, the cabin crew were scruffy, unprofessional, and generally unhelpful. However, we are never surprised by this, as we are frequent fliers with this airline, ( long haul choice is somewhat limited in the UK) so it’s a case of ‘better the Devil you know’:eek: The upside is, that as we are on our way to WDW, nothing dampens our spirits not even VA, and so we grinned and bore it until we touched down at OIA.

One of our favourite things is the shuttle ride over to baggage claim. We love to hear ‘Welcome to Orlando’ and much to the delight ( and sometimes horror) of the other passengers we always give a family ‘woop de doo’ on hearing this:happy:

We collect our bags, collect our rental car from Dollar, and turn on to the road that will take us home…

We arrive at POR and check in, we ask for Oak Manor as we like the proximity to the quiet pool. It’s either that or Alligator Bayou, we dont really mind. And we are given our keys. The room is fine, a little difficult for me with my Asthma as the lifts are far from our room and there are two flights of stairs, not alot, but enough to leave me wheezing. It’s my own fault, I should have asked for ground floor, but as I am a ‘newly diagnosed’ Asthmatic, I ‘forget’ sometimes how bad I am, and this was one of those occasions!:crying:

Its a tradition, and part of our holiday itenary, to head off to the food court at POR for DD and DH to have their first double bacon cheeseburger of the trip:blow: I myself prefer something a little lighter, however, they were shocked to find that this option is no longer available:eek: Gone also, was the rich cheese sauce that was a side option- still, they opted for some sort of burger, and, confused and dazed by the time zone changes, we headed off to bed at 9.p.m (2.00 a.m) in the UK.

Tomorrow, we head off to Wal Mart:laugh:You may be puzzled, but Wal Mart is like nothing we have here! We are able to stock our room with water and candy and juices, besides buying toiletries and other things only available to you guys in the US- it is a shopping haven for us, and much fun.:heart:

Dixie :wub: I haven’t started to read yet. I just wanted to give you thumbs up for starting your TR.

So now I am going to read…

Yay its Wally World day, and awakened at some God forsaken hour due to jet lag we arise and head off to Wal mart arriving in the dark at around 6.30.

DD and DH have a trolley ( cart to you:laugh:) and I have a trolley to myself. I have learned to my cost, that anyone who shares with DD, pays for DD, so I no longer make that option available to her. I scoot off with mine, and absorb into the wonders of Wal mart:happy:

Loaded with a million bags, we head off back to POR, throw on our cossies and head off down to the pool. It is blazing hot, with a clear blue Florida sky. We try to deal with our jet lag by being comatose poolside and then after several sun-baked hours, we shower and head off to DTD to eat at our favourite QS the Earl of Sandwich. We are lucky the wonderful Keith at Mouseketrips had managed to get us free dining for the whole of our stay- this makes such a difference to us- and we are forever grateful for his patience and his experience.

I have to have a small whinge here:angry:the family in the room next door were a British family and every day they used the balcony railings outside their room and ours to dry their pool towels, cossies, and swim trunks. I hate to see this, it spoils the look of the building and its just not done- especially outside of our window- I dont want to look at peoples washing! The days the building was jet washed ( and we were given plenty of warning) they left it all out-In Spain, its a common thing for us Brits to hang everything from every available piece of iron work- seems like they’ve imported the tradition to WDW sadly.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

:heart:Thank you Iris at least I’ll have one reader:laugh: xx

I tried taking the “going thru the gates” picture, but wasn’t fast enough. All I got was a tree. :laugh:

It is amazing to think how certain items are only available in certain parts of the world. Some 15 yrs ago, we had a german exchange student in our home. It was Easter time and she had never tasted Reese’s peanutbutter eggs. Half her suitcase going home was peanutbutter eggs. The other half was salt and vinegar potato chips. The bags would have taken up too much room, so she cut the bags to let out air. I’m thinking she had lots of crumbs.

Nope you’ve got 2. :laugh:

Ok now I am surprised that VA is such a crappy airline. You would have thought that it is the op posit and downright swanky. Very surprised.

Anyway, there you are at POR - yay.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1051734]I tried taking the “going thru the gates” picture, but wasn’t fast enough. All I got was a tree. :laugh:

It is amazing to think how certain items are only available in certain parts of the world. Some 15 yrs ago, we had a german exchange student in our home. It was Easter time and she had never tasted Reese’s peanutbutter eggs. Half her suitcase going home was peanutbutter eggs. The other half was salt and vinegar potato chips. The bags would have taken up too much room, so she cut the bags to let out air. I’m thinking she had lots of crumbs.[/QUOTE]
But that’s what makes going abroad a huge part of trips, jo-jo - the fact that there are different things to discover :wink:

yooohoooo, Loretta, good to see you here :heart:

Great start to the TR! What did you think of the Ford Edge? (the car was an edge right?) I’m thinking of that for my next car!

I agree with the draping of towels over the balcony - there is a clothes line right in the shower :glare: I’m surprised Disney doesn’t say something about it?

Great start - can’t wait to read and see more! :happy:

so what did you buy at walmart?!!!:laugh:

Great start! I can’t wait to read more!

We stayed at POR this past August and also noticed all of the towels and swimsuits hanging over balcony railings. DH and I were puzzled. I would never do that-I’d be afraid my things would be taken. Not that I have great stuff- but I’ve had large beach/pool towels stolen at our neighborhood pool.

Yeah… what an interesting start. I love to hear your perspective on the crazy American way of life. And for the record… walmart is like a drug to some people-anything that you want is in there…

But fun to explore too. Glad you had a good trip.

Great TR so far, can’t wait to read more. I understand your feeling about the Walmart in Florida, they are just so nice. Unfortunately here in North Jersey they aren’t the same.

Great start…I put a couple of things on my chair on the balcony at AKL but tried to keep them out of site…I wouldn’t think of hanging it over the balcony.

Yay! Looking forward to hearing about your trip - and loving your perspective!

I totally agree with the hanging laundry. It kind of steals from the experience.

Can’t wait to hear more!!

[QUOTE=dixie;1051731]Yay its Wally World day, and awakened at some God forsaken hour due to jet lag we arise and head off to Wal mart arriving in the dark at around 6.30.

DD and DH have a trolley ( cart to you:laugh:) and I have a trolley to myself. I have learned to my cost, that anyone who shares with DD, pays for DD, so I no longer make that option available to her. I scoot off with mine, and absorb into the wonders of Wal mart:happy:

Loaded with a million bags, we head off back to POR, throw on our cossies and head off down to the pool. It is blazing hot, with a clear blue Florida sky. We try to deal with our jet lag by being comatose poolside and then after several sun-baked hours, we shower and head off to DTD to eat at our favourite QS the Earl of Sandwich. We are lucky the wonderful Keith at Mouseketrips had managed to get us free dining for the whole of our stay- this makes such a difference to us- and we are forever grateful for his patience and his experience.

I have to have a small whinge here:angry:the family in the room next door were a British family and every day they used the balcony railings outside their room and ours to dry their pool towels, cossies, and swim trunks. I hate to see this, it spoils the look of the building and its just not done- especially outside of our window- I dont want to look at peoples washing! The days the building was jet washed ( and we were given plenty of warning) they left it all out-In Spain, its a common thing for us Brits to hang everything from every available piece of iron work- seems like they’ve imported the tradition to WDW sadly.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

What are cossies?

I love reading your TRs because you give such an interesting outsider’s point of view to being American.

Can I be nosy and ask what types of things you buy at Wal-Mart and why they’re so different from what you have in England? If you don’t feel comfy answering, that’s ok! I’m just curious!

HAHA, that’s what I wanna know! LOL! :heart:

[QUOTE=Erin;1051759]What are cossies?

Can I be nosy and ask what types of things you buy at Wal-Mart and why they’re so different from what you have in England? If you don’t feel comfy answering, that’s ok! I’m just curious![/QUOTE]

:blush:I was wondering the same thing, but was afraid to ask. Glad someone else did!

Add me to the list of interested readers, Dixie!