Comments on Flame Tree and Earl of Sandwich

OK, so for various reasons we finally tried both Earl of Sandwich and Flame Tree last week.
Many of you will recall that I’ve wanted to try Flame Tree for years, but never would because of the non-air conditioned seating. Well that excuse/reason went bye bye last Tuesday because the weather was in the Goldilocks zone and was simply perfect. I had the ribs (what else?) and DW had the pulled pork.
Both were fine, although the smoke taste stuck with me for a few hours.
We didn’t have dessert, but I really wanted a key lime mousse, so we swung by on the way out of the park. That was a let down.
The day before we were in DTD, hitting the stores after we’d checked in but before we headed for DHS. I’d already decided that we were keeping costs down this trip and figured this would be a great time to see if EoS was as good as others have said (especially because this was OOP and not using a dining plan credit that I’m trying to get most value out of)
Well, a Full Montagu (with horseradish sauce) and an Earl’s Club later, we were happy and the bank wasn’t broken.
To round out meals we did dinner at the Biergarten Monday night and at Cosmic Ray’s during the Christmas Party Tuesday night.
No breakfast on Tuesday this trip for a few different reasons including extreme back and foot pain keeping me in bed instead of even wanting to walk over to the Pop’s food court.
Breakfast on the (early) trip home was at a McDonald’s on Osceola Parkway just before the Turnpike entrance.

Flame tree is a regular stop for us. I still wonder if it is the chance to get ribs or a barbaque sandwich or the seating along the water. DW’s pulled pork is SOOOOO much better at home. But it is a great place to rest on those HOT AK days.
EoS is also a regular stop on DTD shopping day. I always get the Full Monty also. Habits are hard to break.

Rich, you know I’ve wanted to try Flame Tree forever. It’s always a heat thing that stops me. The ribs were good, and fell apart nicely, especially considering the plasticware, but I have had better. Have I had better inside a park? No, I don’t think so. But we all know there are much better ribs out in the larger world outside the borders of Walt’s world.
I will say that the beans would have been a let down if I hadn’t already had low expectations. My favorite beans come from Sonny’s (any Sonny’s).
I don’t regret eating there!

Too many good barbaque places to list here in the Carolina’s. But I have been to a Sonny’s in NC. Pretty daarn good.

Hey, we were at Disney at the same time. I missed you at Flame Tree by one day. Sorry to hear that you werent impressed by it. That is one place that DW and I hit every trip on AK day.

That’s one of the (many) things I love about the Carolinas. The Carolinas are BBQ Central.
Funny thing about Sonny’s, it’s a chain, but they’ve all been good wherever I’ve tried them.

I wasn’t impressed only because I’ve had some really great stuff at some genuine holes in the wall. I did say I enjoyed it.
On a scale of 1-10, I’d give it a 7.5-8.

Edit: Buzz, I should add because you are a new member and I don’t often start threads, the mere fact that I’ve started this thread and have positive things to say about both Earl’s and Flame Tree, these are full voiced recommendations for others to follow when they plan their own Disney vacations.
So, if you’ve got any questions about dining in WDW, how to best get the most from the Disney Dining Plans, or anything about Disney’s fireworks shows, feel free to ask, either in a thread or through PM and welcome to Mousebuzz. (And I never personally welcome any new members because I’m just too cool for that:cool:)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1007741]That’s one of the (many) things I love about the Carolinas. The Carolinas are BBQ Central.
Funny thing about Sonny’s, it’s a chain, but they’ve all been good wherever I’ve tried them.[/QUOTE]

Idk, I used to really like Sonny’s, but I think the food has declined over the past ten years. Our Sonny’s went downhill and moved out. I haven’t eaten at one in years.

But, yeah… there’s at least six barbeque places in Anderson alone.

Vicki, it’s a few years since I’ve been to a Sonny’s. The nearest one isn’t around the corner. In fact, I haven’t tried the closest BBQ pit in my neighborhood since I moved from Miami in 2005.
But back to Sonny’s (which can’t be found near WDW either), I can see individual restaurants going down hill and it’s even possible for the entire chain to go down hill in quality. However, you’re in the Carolinas, which as I’ve said, is one of the ground zeros when people talk about great BBQ the best usually comes from one of a kind family owned and operated places.

Thanks Soundgod for the welcome. I definitely live to eat! I am interested in hearing your thoughts on a couple of restaurants that DW and I have yet to try. We want to try all of the sitdowns around the world showcase. Have you been to Marrakesh, Teppan Edo, or Chefs de France?

Marrakesh doesn’t much interest me, but many other posters here say they enjoy the food (and the belly dancers).
Teppan Edo is good. It’s pretty much a standard Japanese hibachi table restaurant along the lines of Benihana. I lean more towards Tokyo Dining because I like sushi a lot more.
I’ve only eaten at Chefs once, on a New Year’s Eve. It was good, but I really ought to give them another shot because I went with the three course chicken dinner and felt it was uninspired. I certainly felt that the creme brulee at Narcoossee’s and Fulton’s are much better, but we’re talking key lime and milk chocolate respectively as opposed to Chefs’ plain creme brulee.
Recapping: Chefs-yes, Teppan Edo-yes, Marrkesh-no opinion.

We LOVE EoS. Our recent October trip was the only time we’ve ever not eaten there since it opened. If we fly home after noon, then we usually have QuickSilver stop there on the way back to the airport so we can pick up sandwiches. I love the Original 1762 and DW prefers the Caprese. It’s all good.

Buzz, as Doug mentioned, there are a lot of us who love Marrakesh, not just for the belly dancing. The food is well prepared, not as exotic as you might expect and the service has always been wonderful. One waitress taught DD how to write her name in Arabic.

We hit DTD the last day of our trips (again) to pick up any thing we may have over looked to buy eairlier in the week. We eat at EoS, and love it! Something small before we get on the plane.

We like Flametree as well, but we prefer the chicken. As counter service food, the ribs are perfectly fine and they are far better than the ribs at Cosmic Ray’s. We always enjoy the chicken at Flametree though.

While we’ve always enjoyed Marrakesh, but we noticed a few small changes to the menu and opted out this last trip. Tangerine Cafe is a great CS and we ate there instead.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1007749]
I’ve only eaten at Chefs once, on a New Year’s Eve. It was good, but I really ought to give them another shot because I went with the three course chicken dinner and felt it was uninspired. …
Recapping: Chefs-yes, Teppan Edo-yes, Marrkesh-no opinion.[/QUOTE]

We had a fabulous meal at Chefs – the duck was excellent, juicy but not greasy (no easy task!), and the haricots verts were the best I have ever had. I am not a dessert person, so I have no opinion about the creme brulee.

We also ate at Tokyo Dining this summer, and it was a HUGE disappointment. The tempura arrived sitting in a pool of grease and was mysteriously cold inside. The sushi menu was somewhat limited, which is no big deal. We ordered a variety of things and when it arrived, it was beautiful, but flavor and freshness had been sacrificed in favor of appearance. We left most of it uneaten.

We are serious about our sushi, and living in the NYC 'burbs, we have many many places to get excellent sushi. Even so, we didn’t expect stellar sushi at Tokyo Dining, but the food that was served wasn’t acceptable.

There have been times that I dream of EoS (The Original - double the horseradish sauce).:crying: It’s one of my favourite meals at WDW.

Flame Tree - not so much.

Buzz,

If you want to step it up a notch from Chefs de France consider Bistro De Paris. It is upstairs from Chefs de France. Fine dining and fine food. I have not been to Victoria & Albert’s at the GF but if V&A is better as many here @ MB have said I cannot wait to go there also. We will be taking freinds to Bistro for our March trip.
Another favorite of ours on our first night is Narcoossee’s at the GF.
Welcome to MB and remember we all have our favorite places. That’s what makes WDW great. Enjoy your planning.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1007787]Buzz,

If you want to step it up a notch from Chefs de France consider Bistro De Paris. It is upstairs from Chefs de France. Fine dining and fine food. I have not been to Victoria & Albert’s at the GF but if V&A is better as many here @ MB have said I cannot wait to go there also. We will be taking freinds to Bistro for our March trip.
Another favorite of ours on our first night is Narcoossee’s at the GF.
Welcome to MB and remember we all have our favorite places. That’s what makes WDW great. Enjoy your planning.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget Citricos at GF. I love Narcoossee’s, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Citricos.

Someday, we’ll do V&A’s, but with all the planning involved, I’m thinking it’ll just be me and DW. :wub:

[QUOTE=MerlinMatt;1007792]Don’t forget Citricos at GF. I love Narcoossee’s, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Citricos.

Someday, we’ll do V&A’s, but with all the planning involved, I’m thinking it’ll just be me and DW. :wub:[/QUOTE]

Bad mistake to have forgotten Citricos. Slapping about to commence.:ohmy:
And V&A will be DW and me also. Why ruin it w/ a big crowd. :laugh:

Sticky Fingers!!! Yes, I know it’s a chain but I :heart: it. The one in Charleston has to be my fav with Columbia running a close 2nd. :slight_smile:

My fav at Flame Tree is the turkey sandwich on wheat roll. Even better when I add bbq sauce, but I do that everywhere. Can’t remember what I got at EoS but it was really good. Def will go again, to both.