Comparing Food Courts at the Resorts

…reading about Food Courts on another thread prompted me to start a discussion about them…

Which resort has the best food court?

I can’t give recent comparison, because we have only stayed at POFQ for the last 8 years…and we usually only have breakfast there…

I can comment on FQ though…and say that we love what they have to offer for breakfast…service has always been pretty fast—the Beignets sometimes take a little longer when it’s busy, but that’s not mgt fault…they offer waffles, pancakes, eggs with bacon, muffins fruit etc…one time we had the Pizza there and it was good…but no other lunch or dinner items…for us POFQ is great…

I remember Pop Century food court being good in 2005…

What we did not like was CS food court…if you can call it a food court…again, that’s been years since we stayed there so probably unfair to judge however, the fact that we had to wait in a long line to be seated for the food court, and then were charged a 10% fee for that service of being seated turned us off to CS. My DD was sick while we were there, and I would occasionally go get her or myself something to drink----had to wait in a line a long time just to get into the food court to get a soda…then…checking out…had a 10% fee added on to the soda total…perhaps that has changed now. We only stayed there the two times we did because it was the only moderate available…

So which food courts have been your favorites?

This is hard since I like something in particular at several, but I would have to say Poly. Only place to get a Dole Whip other than inside MK.

I do like the food at Pepper Market, but agree with you on the surcharge.
The Beignets at FQ are very good, as close to Nawlins i’ve found so far and the zebra domes at AKL are yummy, but i’ll have to stick with Poly.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1132575]This is hard since I like something in particular at several, but I would have to say Poly. Only place to get a Dole Whip other than inside MK.

I do like the food at Pepper Market, but agree with you on the surcharge.
The Beignets at FQ are very good, as close to Nawlins i’ve found so far and the zebra domes at AKL are yummy, but i’ll have to stick with Poly.[/QUOTE]

…well I learned something…I didn’t even realize that the Poly had a food court…I thought that only Moderates and Value had food courts and the rest had “sit down”… See what you can learn on here? :laugh:

It’s been forever since I’ve been to the food courts, but I remember the food court at POR (then Dixie Landings) being quite good. I never did like the Pepper Mill at CSR. The whole set-up was just annoying and when you’re annoyed you can’t enjoy your food. SSR has some interesting selections at the Artist’s Palette, but then, again the set-up and system are so bad, I don’t even want to eat there.

We’ve stayed at both ASM and POR and liked the food courts at both those restaurants. I have wonderful memories of coming home from the parks at POR and splitting a Mint Chocolate Chip Shake with my husband. Also, breakfast with the family at ASM before heading to the parks was a fun time to connect and talk about what we were planning to do that day.

PC is really good. I have eaten at FQ and it was great too. I know which one is horrible, BC. Its so small and seriously, why is it even there. Maybe its just me, but if you are going to put a foodcourt in,make it reasonable. I know its a delux but still, give the foodcourt something more than that.

With BC I always found it odd that they had the food mixed in with the resort store. Although the sandwiches we’ve gotten there were good, always felt sqooshed waiting for the food to be prepared.

I’m probably bias because I love AKL Jambo so much, but I’ve eaten at a lot of food courts, and the Mara is my favorite. They have such a wide range of food selections. My DH has become buddies with a CM that she’s been there so long, she now recognizes us. And, the lighting through the area. Many complain that AKL is too dark. I honestly love that I’m not sitting under glaring florescent lights, feeling like a lab rat, it’s much more relaxing. Also, with the seating choices, there is always plenty of seating when we’ve gone (don’t do breakfast there, so not sure how that is) but you also have the choice to go outside in a tropical area by the pool, sitting under palm trees. Love that setting.

We have stayed at all the MODS and out of them, our favorite without a doubt is POR. The Caribbean & CS were our least favorites.

…if you look online at some of the reviews of POFQ, many people complain about the food court being garish and scary…our DD was 5 when it was newly opened and it never scared her but I guess some of those masks scare little ones? I’ve read that families won’t return there just because of that…

I think the most variety is found at the values and Port Orleans French Quarter as they don’t have a table service restaurant - this excludes Art of Animation as they did not have a good variety when I was there. To be fair, they weren’t even open six months yet and probably have added and tweaked their menus.

With the exception of AKL and the Polynesian, I think the deluxe and villa “food courts” are more of an after thought and just “meh”.

Favorite food court is POFQ.

[QUOTE=Dana;1132599]I think the most variety is found at the values and Port Orleans French Quarter as they don’t have a table service restaurant - this excludes Art of Animation as they did not have a good variety when I was there. To be fair, they weren’t even open six months yet and probably have added and tweaked their menus.

With the exception of AKL and the Polynesian, I think the deluxe and villa “food courts” are more of an after thought and just “meh”.

Favorite food court is POFQ.[/QUOTE]

Dana…do you know if the Deluxe resorts “always” have had a food court? I swear that 25 years back, I don’t remember that being part of the description for the deluxe group.

Anyone remember going to the Poly or GF etc many years ago — did they have a food court then?

Trivial knowledge…I’m just curious…I remember when CBR and DL/PO opened the food courts were a big deal back then…

I’d say, at the end of the day, they’re all pretty much the same, though each will have their own specialty item or items.

[QUOTE=smallworld;1132603]Dana…do you know if the Deluxe resorts “always” have had a food court? I swear that 25 years back, I don’t remember that being part of the description for the deluxe group.

Anyone remember going to the Poly or GF etc many years ago — did they have a food court then?
[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure how long ago they put food courts into Poly and GF, but I’d say no later than 2004. That said, Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach don’t have food courts. Beach has a food counter in their Beach Club Marketplace, along with all the other sundries and stuff they’re selling. Boardwalk totally lacks a food court and the closest they come is the bakery, which has some food items beyond baked goods. All the rest have actual food courts while POFQ, the All Stars, Pop and AoA have no table service restaurants and POR’s restaurant is only open for dinner

Ask my DF about the GF in 1988 and he said he thinks there was a small one where it is now. Nothing fancy maybe coffee and small treats. I don’t remember since I was 6 then. He said our room had a snack bar in it and it was expensive. I know it is a lot larger now than before after our first trip plus its expanded since our 2011 trip.

i know Dana will disaggree :wink: but i think art of animation by far has the best food court. themeing, variety, real silverware… can’t beat it!

I have similar to a thing specifically from a number of, nevertheless I would have to point out Poly.

We stayed at AoA in December 2012 and the food court was okay, but very crowded. We enjoyed the food court across the lake at Pop very much, though! Service was great and the crowds were much more bearable. We loved the food court at POFQ when we stayed there two years ago. It is very crowded, but the food was very good.

If you can get to the Food Court at POFQ before 8:30—it isn’t as crowded. Sometimes we will head up there and have breakfast and then come back to the room to finish getting ready.

For some reason, we have found 8:30 the favorite time for breakfast, and it slows the waffle and beignet lines down…

I wonder if this is true of the other food courts?? This past weekend I stayed at an Embassy Suites and they actually had a sign that stated the worst lines for the breakfast buffet were at 8:30…

[QUOTE=Dana;1132599]I think the most variety is found at the values and Port Orleans French Quarter as they don’t have a table service restaurant - this excludes Art of Animation as they did not have a good variety when I was there. To be fair, they weren’t even open six months yet and probably have added and tweaked their menus.

Favorite food court is POFQ.[/QUOTE]

Dana I so agree. I love my home resort AKL/Kidani Village, but not so mucht the food court especially for the kids. Summer 2012 I took the kids back to disney and did not use my dvc points so I stayed at Pop and I found more options for the kids.