Conflicting reviews

Hi All- hoping to get some opinions on Art of Animation value resort versus moderate resorts (POR or Car. Beach). Planning for Oct 2013 trip but want to book now. Already priced it out and those two moderates cost only about 300 more for a week than AoA. It seems to me there are so many factors to consider, that I am getting a bit overwhelmed. There’s the theming of the resort, the pools, the food options, distance to the parks, room size, ect. For every good review I read then there’s a bad one… for example, one says pools are great, next review says pools too small and boring…one review says AoA great theming, next review says its like Disney in Vegas and you get sick of the blue walls and carpet . I want the kids in the group to enjoy, but dont want to overwhelm the adults with too much kid stuff. The group consists of late 30 somethings, 4 toddlers, and 2 sets of grandparents.

Art of Animation is BRAND new. I have not read a single bad review of that resort yet. I like the idea of TWO bathrooms and a master bedroom. Space is never a bad thing for me. I like the living area, the kitchenette and most definitely the food court - everything is fresh and build your own. The pool is the biggest on WDW property and did I mention it’s brand new?

Port Orleans Riverside and Caribbean Beach are big resorts. A bad location could have you quite some distance from the main area. I suggest paying for the preferred location.

Port Orleans: Beautiful grounds, newly redone rooms and check in area, boat to downtown Disney, sister resort (French Quarter) facilities are able to be used. Queen beds are a huge plus too!

Caribbean Beach: FULL size beds, not queens, reviews are hot and cold, no sister resort.

I highly suggest you go here Accommodations In and Around Walt Disney World and Orlando Florida The resorts are listed on the left side. There are photo slide shows and FAQ. Pick the resort that most appeals by appearance and give it a go. Regardless of where you end up, all the resorts at WDW are perfectly magical in every way.

AoA is so new…it will be hard yet to get a good many reviews to make a decision…I would look at the website Dana suggested, and make the best decision…you are so far out that you should be able to change locations later on…as long as you don’t wait until next summer to change.

Port Orleans Riverside is spread out…I love the resort but…I prefer Port Orleans French Quarter over Riverside mainly because of the size. POFQ is so much smaller and quieter. There was a point in time years ago, when the Pool at French Quarter was voted one of the best hotel pools in Orlando…not just WDW. I’ve never stayed at CBR…it’s size is again too big for our liking.

Good luck with your choice…and happy planning…

I also read that the pool at AofA plays music underneath the water, and you can hear Mr Ray having class from Nemo, etc every once in a while…

Also, look at Allearsnet.com. It spells out reviews that are current for all resorts and restaurants…

Good luck! I just returned from POFQ, and it was a great adult resort, but it was still kid like too… The little kids would love the pool. It has a great slide that is slow for little kids. and it is themed for little kids. The rest of the resort has touches that are great, but not too kid like. I think it is very different from A of A. Just go with the thought that everything that is done there is 100%… There will be no detail left untouched. And you will have fun!

That’s actually my concern. I switch from FW cabins to the Lion King Suites, and I’m having some reservations about it. However, I know my 3 kids will love it…and having a room to ourselves is a new thing for the wife and I.

Oh, and welcome to MouseBuzz. We’re like a big family here…a strange, dysfunctional family with a lot of issues. Hope you’ll stay around.

I think I would totally do AoA just to be able to close my bedroom door!

I am assuming you are booking regular rooms at AoA due to the size of your party. Or, have you booked two suites?

Of course, the benefits of a suite are the kitchenettes, etc.

As far as theming, I have heard great things about AoA especially for toddlers. It probably is disney overload for some of the others but the values are all like that. Theming for the moderates is a little less “disney”.

All that being said, the last time we all traveled (DS 16 and 13, DD age 9, DH and me), we stayed at CBR. CBR has long been my favorite. We booked two connected rooms. We decided that it was the last time we stayed at a moderate resort with the all crew as it was not worth the additional dollars for the amenities we used.

I stayed at POR French Quarter with my DD and my mom and we liked it. . but again, not sure we would spend the extra dollars between the mods and value. if we are going to pay more then we will stay at a deluxe.

Value rooms are smaller, the beds are smaller, the bathrooms are smaller. But, I am not sure if you are booked the suites at AoA.

Best of luck! You really can’t go wrong.

As far as reviews go, I truly don’t pay attention to them as the review is as good as the attitude of the person providing it. I read some trip reports (on another board to get my fill) and you can pick a negative nilly a mile away, who finds the negative in every situation, and then take another person with the same experience, showplacing the fun they had. I like Dana’s recommendation in that you look at the pictures and what each resort has to offer, and make your decision on what fits your family. It’s Disney. They are going to make sure you have a great stay, and if the glitch comes along, is the best place to make it right. Have fun doing your homework!

THREAD JACK***********

I tell people on my course all the time, “All I can be is an opportunity provider. If you leave saying it was an awful experience, I won’t lose a bit of sleep over it, because I know I did my job well. If you leave saying it was an amazing experience, I won’t pat myself on the back and give myself the credit. I give the opportunity. You decide whether or not to benefit from that opportunity.”

RESUME THE MAIN SUBJECT*****************

Love! Love! Love! CBR. Always a favorite with my family. I’M thinking its the ambiance of a 'Carribean Beach" feel. We have stayed at each of the moderate resorts and this is our fave. Of course the Polynesian has been the topper also but it has out-priced us for many years. We usually travel with my two sons and their families and each get one room and it works out fine with us.
You really can’t go wrong anywhere on site.

Happy planning!!!

Welcome to MB! Here’s my advice - quit reading all those reviews - if you want the truth from people who’ve been there and done that, stick with us. We may disagree on a few things - after all, everyone has different tastes - but we’ll tell you the truth.

With toddlers AoA sounds terrific. Dana’s heading there in a couple of weeks and will be reporting back - so keep a lookout for her reports. She’s our resident WDW genius. Her observations and advice will be spot on! Port Orleans is a wonderful resort for little ones - and it’s small and manageable. You really can’t go wrong with any Disney Resort - they’re all going to give you over-the-top themeing and atmosphere. It’s what Disney does best.

The truth is, having stayed at nearly all of Disney’s WDW resorts, you’re probably worrying way too much.
A brand new hotel, with sections still unopened, is going to have some teething pains. That’s why they’re not opening the whole resort at once, so they can phase in everything in a controlled fashion.
So, everything in your room will be new or nearly new.
The service will generally be up to Disney’s standards and all resort tiers provide the same basic levels of service. Of course the deluxe hotels offer advanced services, but that’s different.

Look at the pictures of the various hotels that All Ears has on their pages.
And don’t worry.

We each have our favorites, but generally a Disney value is a Disney value, a Disney mod is a Disney mod, and a Disney deluxe is a Disney deluxe. Each hotel in its tier is pretty much the same as the others. The differences are in theming and location.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1118211]The truth is, having stayed at nearly all of Disney’s WDW resorts, you’re probably worrying way too much.
A brand new hotel, with sections still unopened, is going to have some teething pains. That’s why they’re not opening the whole resort at once, so they can phase in everything in a controlled fashion.
So, everything in your room will be new or nearly new.
The service will generally be up to Disney’s standards and all resort tiers provide the same basic levels of service. Of course the deluxe hotels offer advanced services, but that’s different.

Look at the pictures of the various hotels that All Ears has on their pages.
And don’t worry.

We each have our favorites, but generally a Disney value is a Disney value, a Disney mod is a Disney mod, and a Disney deluxe is a Disney deluxe. Each hotel in its tier is pretty much the same as the others. The differences are in theming and location.[/QUOTE]

I agree—Disney does it’s hotels better than another other hotel chain I have ever stayed in. We usually do the Mod. level now, however, if I had to be in a value in order to stay on property—I would stay in the value in a hearbeat—and have. You can’t go wrong with any of them Once you go, you will have a better idea of your particular favorites for next time.

If you have time on this trip coming up next year—can I suggest you “resort hop” around to take a look at the different resorts while you are there? It may help you make a choice for the next time. Just a thought. :happy:

OK, here you go, just my opinion:

I have been to only one value resort, and it was as you said, cool to look at briefly but it would be seriously annoying after much longer than that. I mean, it is SERIOUSLY bright over there, huge and bright. I also didn’t care for the flimsy feel (I don’t have a better description, sorry). And it isn’t just us adults that would have been overwhelmed… I felt that my kids would never have tolerated the hyper sensory stimulation for long. For us, the values are a NO.

At the moderates you have mentioned, you will get a more traditional resort feeling, with beautiful grounds, sit-down dining options, pool slides, boats, horse carriages, etc. In other words, at WDW you get more “stuff” at a moderate resort than at a value resort. We have stayed at POR and CBR, and both are lovely (you will see that I still call POR “Dixie Landings” in my signature… a fond memory!). At POR or POFQ, you actually get to take advantage of BOTH resorts, including the pools.

I may be wrong, totally possible, but I can’t think of a value resort with a waterslide (important to my kids) or a table-service dining option (important to DH).

Take a look at a map of the mods and request a building close to the action, if location is important to you. The adults in your party, if they are like adults that travel in ours, will REALLY appreciate the luxury and peace of a mod after being in the parks all day. And the mods take great care of the kids and their interests too!

Again, just my opinion.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1118341]OK, here you go, just my opinion:

I have been to only one value resort, and it was as you said, cool to look at briefly but it would be seriously annoying after much longer than that. I mean, it is SERIOUSLY bright over there, huge and bright. I also didn’t care for the flimsy feel (I don’t have a better description, sorry). And it isn’t just us adults that would have been overwhelmed… I felt that my kids would never have tolerated the hyper sensory stimulation for long. For us, the values are a NO.

At the moderates you have mentioned, you will get a more traditional resort feeling, with beautiful grounds, sit-down dining options, pool slides, boats, horse carriages, etc. In other words, at WDW you get more “stuff” at a moderate resort than at a value resort. We have stayed at POR and CBR, and both are lovely (you will see that I still call POR “Dixie Landings” in my signature… a fond memory!). At POR or POFQ, you actually get to take advantage of BOTH resorts, including the pools.

I may be wrong, totally possible, but I can’t think of a value resort with a waterslide (important to my kids) or a table-service dining option (important to DH).

Take a look at a map of the mods and request a building close to the action, if location is important to you. The adults in your party, if they are like adults that travel in ours, will REALLY appreciate the luxury and peace of a mod after being in the parks all day. And the mods take great care of the kids and their interests too!

Again, just my opinion.[/QUOTE]
And an opinion shared by me.

We are there for a park experience but we don’t need to be so emerged that we feel like cartoon characters ourselves. It is important to my family to have the option of a table service restaurant, the boats, the atmosphere of a regular resort, really.

Anyway, I would love to tour AofA just to have seen in, especially the Cars part of the resort :wink:

imglad im not the only one who noticed that. I read a review on Trip Advisor for WL that said Disney was losing its touch BC there was construction. Really? Can’t you just be happy that you are there and they are trying to improve?

Second…to make mention on the review thing. Much like movies (IMO) resort reviews are based on the taste of the person. I for one, wouldn’t give All Starvsports a great review BC I dislike giant football helmets. However, I would rave about Movies BC they have a giant dalmation. So, go with what makes YOU and your kids happy. :smiley:

I think that ultimately you know your own taste best. AoA is loud and bright and super Disney fun round the clock. It is also brand new so if I were going to stay at a value, I would definitely give it a go.

My dad is one of those people who wants a break from “so much Disney” at the resort. For him, if a review reads that there wasn’t enough Disney theming or character feel, that is the place he wants to stay. :laugh: The Yacht Club is his dream resort. The values are his worst nightmare.

I love POR. It is big for sure but it is my favorite moderate. And the recent room renovations make it even more desireable to me. If I were choosing a moderate, I think I would pick POR over CBR for sure.

However, I am also of the opinion that if I can get myself to WDW, it doesn’t matter where I am staying. So if my budget only allows for a value, sign me up for a room at a value. You still get the same Disney magic at whatever level resort you choose.

They don’t.
No waterslides and no table service. That’s why Tables gives a discount for meals at the 4 values (now 5).

The rooms are over bright lighting wise. Seriously.
Hard to believe there’s only 3 lights, plus the vanity. One over each bed and one over the table. Maybe the paints are extra reflective.