Connections from Shades of Green

So, now I have been pricing a trip for November at Shades of Green and to my amazement, they give us retired military people a good deal.

I only wonder how transportation works. Is it true that the hotel is “right across the way from the Poly”? - meaning it wouldn’t take much for me to walk over and take the monorail to where I’d like to go?

“Right across the way” translates to about 20% more than main lobby of the Boardwalk to main lobby of the Beach the long way around.
Probably on order of 3/4 mile from SoG’s lobby to the Poly bus station.
And most of the time you’ll be wanting SoG’s buses, depending on where you’re trying to get to.

Yes it’s true. You have 4 options.
Drive your own car to the parks
Wait (and wait) for the SoG buses. If you time it right the wait is minimal and never ever crowded.
Walk down a sidwalk about 1/4 mile to the Poly. and yes it is right across the street. This works well going to the parks. Too pooped on the way back
Or, try for the Shady Shuttle. It’s a SoG golf cart that will take you to the road, but that’s as far as they can go on Dis property. However, you could get even luckier and catch a cart from the Poly that will take you to the door of SoG. Told them they should call it the Poly Putt-Putt:laugh:
I :heart::heart::heart: SoG, for what it has to offer for the price. It’s not Dis themed like the others but that’s ok.

The one time we stayed at SoG we had good luck with the transportation. We used their bus system almost a week and it was very reliable. It runs on a schedule so you know when the bus is coming. One evening we used the monorail from MK to the Poly and walked to SoG, it was very easy.

Given the opportunity, we would stay at SoG again. The resort is beautiful and very close to MK.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1019481]…
I :heart::heart::heart: SoG, for what it has to offer for the price. It’s not Dis themed like the others but that’s ok.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, I am amazed at the price difference. Since there are no kids with me, I don’t care if it Disney themed at this point. I just want to enjoy myself.

Thank you!

Doug, thank you too. You always have the best information:happy:

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1019483]… it was very reliable. It runs on a schedule so you know when the bus is coming. One evening we used the monorail from MK to the Poly and walked to SoG, it was very easy.

Given the opportunity, we would stay at SoG again. The resort is beautiful and very close to MK.[/QUOTE]

I like the “reliable” and “schedule” parts of your post. That’s me. I want people/transportation to be there when they say they’ll be there, cause I am there!!! :pirate::pirate:

It was very scheduled while we were there (2004 I think). It was nice to know that at a certain time a MK bus would arrive. Sure, it isn’t Disney themed but the rooms are HUGE and beautiful. I can give up the Mickey soap and shampoo (or throw some left overs in my bag) for a good deal on a beautiful resort.

I have a few bars myself, because I never use it while at Disney. I have my own stuff :laugh:
I like the idea of SoG and !! I can check in without my husband. I was worried that I would not be allowed to and, as you know, he won’t go with me.

You know you can sponsor others in as well. You can get up to 3 rooms per ID. My hubby will be leaving for Korea in a couple of weeks for a year, which leaves me to checking in solo, all the booking, planning and the full 6 tics they’re offering at $99 ea this year. Soooo, what do you do in a situation like that? Take 15 others to Disney why of course :happy:
The restaurants on site lack a little here and there, but if it’s any consolation they also lack in price too which helps to offset any dissatisfaction. I hate paying bunches for a mediocre meal.

You will enjoy yourself there, I promise. Now, if only you were going in Oct, they host an annual Oktober fest right on site. :biggrin: in Nov they also host the golf tourney. If you’re there at that time you may be surprised as to who you’ll pass in the hallways:whistling

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1019500]You know you can sponsor others in as well. You can get up to 3 rooms per ID. My hubby will be leaving for Korea in a couple of weeks for a year, which leaves me to checking in solo, all the booking, planning and the full 6 tics they’re offering at $99 ea this year. Soooo, what do you do in a situation like that? Take 15 others to Disney why of course :happy:
The restaurants on site lack a little here and there, but if it’s any consolation they also lack in price too which helps to offset any dissatisfaction. I hate paying bunches for a mediocre meal.

You will enjoy yourself there, I promise. Now, if only you were going in Oct, they host an annual Oktober fest right on site. :biggrin: in Nov they also host the golf tourney. If you’re there at that time you may be surprised as to who you’ll pass in the hallways:whistling[/QUOTE]

thank you for the info. I just read that I can sponsor up to 3 rooms, which will be nice, because there is a possibility that someone might come along.

Hmmmm…I wonder who might be lurking in the halls, heehee

Thanks for the info. My DS just joined the National Guard and his Sgt. knows we go to WDW to he told us about SoG. I had no idea

I have no info of this resort. I’ll need to check it out. I wonder who your mystery companion will be??

The transportaion is hourly to AK and HS. It runs about every 30 minutes to the TTC for MK and EP. And it runs ontime. Something about us retentive military types and “on time schedules”.
We were there once and a SoG bus broke down. WDW provided a bus to run the SoG to TTC leg until they got it fixed. Not a normal occurance but it was a generous offer from WDW. They do support the troops really well.
SOG is the best deal onsite if you will give up the WDW theming. Have fun. Rooms as big as Poly and CR for 1/3 of the price. Gotta love it.

Doughnut and Hb at one point made plans to go with, I was thinking they might be it. And if they’re not it, I am going when you’re going and I will hang out with youse guys, heehee

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1019523]The transportaion is hourly to AK and HS. It runs about every 30 minutes to the TTC for MK and EP. And it runs ontime. Something about us retentive military types and “on time schedules”.
We were there once and a SoG bus broke down. WDW provided a bus to run the SoG to TTC leg until they got it fixed. Not a normal occurance but it was a generous offer from WDW. They do support the troops really well.
SOG is the best deal onsite if you will give up the WDW theming. Have fun. Rooms as big as Poly and CR for 1/3 of the price. Gotta love it.[/QUOTE]

yes exactly ‘gotta love it’ and who cares about theming when the parks are so close and the rooms are so nice…

How do you know if you qualify for SOG, DH did 3 tours in Vietnam and the reserves!!

Try this page and see if you can find out where your DH fits in. Shades of Green® Resort on WALT DISNEY WORLD Resort official website is the only Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) located in the continental U.S. Shades of Green® on WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort is a military resort serving the U.S. Army, Navy, Air

Here’s an old pic from when it was still the Golf resort. It’s before the reconstruction. You can see how far it is from Poly.

A map of the resort as it is today…

After 40 months away from WDW yes we will be going with Dopey…and I will fulfull a dream of riding Splash Mountain with my favorite Innkeeper.:laugh: We will be driving so no worries on transportation if need be we will tear up the highway to the parks!

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1022729]Here’s an old pic from when it was still the Golf resort. It’s before the reconstruction. You can see how far it is from Poly.

A map of the resort as it is today…
[/QUOTE]

oh very nice Mickeybug. thank you