Cornadao vs. Port Orleans

I will be taking students to DW for a conference in June. The conference is being held at Cornado Springs, but we can stay at either Cornado or Port Orleans. My first thought is Riverside, but we would be closer to events if at Cornado, so what is your opinion? Is Cornado as nice as Riverside?

This thread will show you two completely opposite opinions… you will be amazed by the end of today at how a resort can have everyone so divided.

My opinion is that Coronado is not to my liking at all. It is a business/conference hotel and it feels like it. The magic is NOT there for me, and no amount of cool fiesta theming is going to set it right. Nothing kills the magic like seeing a business man in a suit and tie walking past you while hollering sales figures into his cell phone and swinging his briefcase around. Or to see some happy business partiers stumbling out of the club for a smoke and a quick flirt. Ick.
Plus, the food is weird, the rooms seem dark and small (even though they measure out the same as most of the others!), and you can be a zillion miles from the pool.

Meanwhile, across town… POR is a favorite for us, and POFQ is fabulous as well. The boats, the pools, the carriage rides, the theming, the size, the plantings, the MAGIC! It’s all there.

I really do have to agree with everything MissDisney said.
We LOVE POR it’s our favorite. We love everything from the food to the decor, especially the Magnolia Bend area.
It without a doubt has a special feel to the place that I haven’t got from other resorts.
We stayed at CRS last year and I was really bummed out at the resort. Too many non-vacationers, and you really got the “work” vibe from some.
But that’s just my 2 cents!:laugh:

CSR is a great resort. The only mod to have queen beds, 42" LG LCD tv’s, spa, fitness center, dance club and so much more. It is a convention resort but that helps keep the buses and pool area less crowded. CSR was just completely renovated in 2009 including the pool.

POR is just as large as CSR, shares buses with POFQ and the beds are full size. Not sure the last time POR was renovated.

If I was choosing a resort for a vacation, then I would definately pick POFQ or POR, however, being that you have events at CSR, then I would choose to stay there. It is a beautiful resort to experience.
And, the CSR Peppermill foodcourt is in our opinion, the best of all Moderate Resort CS.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1019344]This thread will show you two completely opposite opinions… you will be amazed by the end of today at how a resort can have everyone so divided.

My opinion is that Coronado is not to my liking at all. It is a business/conference hotel and it feels like it. The magic is NOT there for me, and no amount of cool fiesta theming is going to set it right. Nothing kills the magic like seeing a business man in a suit and tie walking past you while hollering sales figures into his cell phone and swinging his briefcase around. Or to see some happy business partiers stumbling out of the club for a smoke and a quick flirt. Ick.
Plus, the food is weird, the rooms seem dark and small (even though they measure out the same as most of the others!), and you can be a zillion miles from the pool.QUOTE]

You hit the nail on the head as far as a resort goes for liking or disliking. We love CSR. You mentioned seeing people in business suits, swinging briefcases and stumbling out of a club for a smoke. I guess we have been lucky to have never encountered such behaviors. You said the food is weird? (not sure what you mean by weird) I guess we like the large variety of food stations they offer. I also noticed you do not have them listed as to when you stayed there but I am sorry you did not enjoy it at CSR. Everyone should enjoy their stay at Disney…Maybe that is why they have a large selection of resorts.

Brit you are so right – Different resorts for different tastes. Fortunately, we have loved every single resort we have stayed in or visited except CSR.
We were there as visitors during a Magical Gathering to see SIL and her family. While we were on property for the afternoon, we spent time in her room, touring the grounds, visiting the pool and lobby areas, and eating at the Pepper Mill. We never felt magical at all.

She had a dark room facing a courtyard and they were so far from the pool area that there were times they just decided not to swim. And the businessmen just made me sad.

We were staying at BWV that trip, and on the ride back to BWV, I felt like crying because SIL had such a non-magical room and resort.

I try to be provide a truly honest opinion when the subject comes up. And I ALWAYS mention that there are is a wide range of opinions about CSR. For me to sugar coat my thoughts on it will not help anyone who is asking for input. A lot of the time, it’s possible to make decisions abotu this stuff based on rooms sizes, TV dimensions, and acreage of the various resorts… but no measurements can make up for what we felt was a total lack of magic.

I wanted to love CSR because the theme is generally to my liking, but I just didn’t.

I totally agree, different resorts and different tastes = different opinions. You have to take everyone’s opinion and weigh it out yourself. I think you should try everything at Disney at least once, you never know what you’ll end up loving!
We once stayed at WL and while it was a beautiful resort, we really wouldn’t stay there again, it just wasn’t to our liking. But, I have read so many people’s opinions on how much they love that resort. Neighbours of ours just got back from their third Disney trip and it is the only place they’ll stay…all different tastes!
No matter what you choose, know that it is Disney and you won’t be dissappointed!

[QUOTE=brit;1019362][QUOTE=MissDisney;1019344]This thread will show you two completely opposite opinions… you will be amazed by the end of today at how a resort can have everyone so divided.

Plus, the food is weird, the rooms seem dark and small (even though they measure out the same as most of the others!), and you can be a zillion miles from the pool.

You hit the nail on the head as far as a resort goes for liking or disliking. We love CSR. You mentioned seeing people in business suits, swinging briefcases and stumbling out of a club for a smoke. I guess we have been lucky to have never encountered such behaviors. You said the food is weird? (not sure what you mean by weird) I guess we like the large variety of food stations they offer. I also noticed you do not have them listed as to when you stayed there but I am sorry you did not enjoy it at CSR. Everyone should enjoy their stay at Disney…Maybe that is why they have a large selection of resorts.
I’m with you Brit. In my 11 trips to CSR, never had a bad experience with any of the convention guests. In talking with many people poolside, most conventioneers are their with their families as well.

CSR receives alot of attention from WDW to keep it competitive with outside convention resorts so it works in my favor. Since the renovations, its been fabulous!

Mom-- now that you mention it, DD has always wanted to stay at GF, DS has always wanted to stay at Contempo, DH likes the look of WLV.

Would it be possible to split your stay? That way you could form your own true opinion of each.
Many are right. Everyone has their opinions of each resort, that’s why i’m glad there’s so many different ones to accomodate all tastes. One example is the Contemporary. For many it’s to die for, yet i’d put it at the very very bottom on my list as places to stay while at WDW.

Why don’t we look at this in a different perspective. The conference. Are the meetings real early, in which it would be a hassle to get there on time if you were at a different resort? Does everyone stick together as a group, in which it would be beneficial to stay close by, not to be left out of any group outings. Is this a very stressful conference, in which it would be beneficial to get a break from it, having an option to get away and go to your resort. I think if you weigh out what is important to this trip, you will come to a conclusion what is best for you and your students.

I know I posted this yesterday, but it seems to be missing now.
Anyway, CSR is my mod of choice because it is the only mod with queen beds. The rest of the mods and all of the values have full sized beds (not really big enough for two adults at once). Also again, the resort was fully refurbed last year.
But the biggest reason to just stay at CSR is because your event is at CSR and you won’t have the hassle or the waste of time of trying to get from one resort to another.

I think in terms of theming CSr is great. I think that it is spread out, but to me-there is nothing wrong with that. I think what causes the (music/record player scratch moment) is when you see a business person working-yuck… That being said, however, my husband is on the phone every day during our vacations, but he is on right after breakfast, or during our bathroom breaks… So, I can understand the interruption in the fantasy of the magic of Disney…

This hotel, my little kids loved, and they did not seem to notice the lack of disney theming as there are hidden mickeys here, just like everywhere else. It is a great hotel if you decide to stay there- and it is at Disney… so go and don’t worry about it. Either would be fine…

CRS is a nice resort. We loved the pool but not the room so much. It seemed like it was really spread out too. Everything was a good walk away. Not a bad thing POR is really spread out as well. If your event is held at CSR and thats the main reason you are going, stay there. If Disney Magic is what your looking for I would choose POR. I guess it depends on how much time you have for each. Which ever you spend the most time on should be the resort for you. Our favorite is POFQ because of its size, nice and small and everything is easy to get to. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Yes, it’s as nice and if you are going to be at WDW specifcally for a conference, it will benfit you to stay there rather than POR.

no lengthy diatribe here,but my opinion of POR is that its my favorite,but if you are having events, at CSR,then it will be a lot easier to stay there but we simply love POR…but I can always understand why people like all the other resorts as well…have fun either way

I don’t think there’s a resort that’s “not nice”. Anyone you pick should be great. Your events are at CSR? then stay there. It will save you many hours of traveling between resorts :wink:

I totally agree with everyone voting against Coronado. I will never go back there. Not only was all the Disney magic non existant, the room was horrible. I couldn’t take my socks off inside the room because the carpet was so old and rough, it felt like sand paper and was rubbing my feet raw. I’ve never stayed at port Orleans, but it has to be better than Coronado. :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

[QUOTE=Isaiah2k6;1020627]I totally agree with everyone voting against Coronado. I will never go back there. Not only was all the Disney magic non existant, the room was horrible. I couldn’t take my socks off inside the room because the carpet was so old and rough, it felt like sand paper and was rubbing my feet raw. I’ve never stayed at port Orleans, but it has to be better than Coronado. :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:[/QUOTE]Sorry about your trip but the rooms have been renovated since your last trip. New everything including queen beds and 42" LG LCD tv’s.