Coronado Springs advice needed?

We always wanted to stay at Coronado, but some things we heard scare us.

1. It’s also a convention center. Will this impact a family vacation.

2. They charge you to sit in the food court?

3. Is it to large like Caribean Beach. We stayed at trinidad south. What a haul to the main building.

Our safe resort is POFQ it works for us. Seeing our concerns and safe resort do you think we should concider Coronado Springs?

Ok, this is hearsay, but one of the guys I work with just got back from the CS. He did tell me that he liked the resort, and that his 7 year old son loved the pool and play area. His only complaint was the size. He said the area he stayed in was quite far from the food area, but on the other hand he said that he liked being close to a bus stop. He thought the food court was just ok, but they only had breakfast there along with drinks/snacks. I did ask him if there were a lot of convention folks there, and he said no (but he went Easter week). Overall he said that he liked the resort, but would probably stay at another resort next time.

CSR is sort of an odd resort…I do think the convention center does cause a different vibe.

We stayed there only once, and although we didn’t dislike it, it wouldn’t be a place we’d choose to stay again. We didn’t like the food court and there was a lot of “conference” hi-jinks going on at the pool and around the lobby. My kids were younger and I didn’t appreciate some of the stuff they saw and heard.

The place was huge and we were stuck in the Ranchos. The landscaping was very barren. I realize it was suppose to represent the desert, but it just wasn’t my cup of tea. The pool area was very nice, but once again - the conventioneers sort of took over when we were there.

It’s a big as CBR, POR, and OKW.
I didn’t feel bothered by the convention crowd, but then again, I’m an adult without kids who frequently works business conventions and also staying at Yacht and Dolphin (and even Contemporary) with convention centers doesn’t upset me.
I can’t speak to the food court, we usually do sit downs for breakfast and dinner and just grab something for lunch somewhere.

We went there a couple years ago and the resort is beautiful but big! When we were there a convention was going on, and walking back from DTD after shopping one night we came across a bunch of them partying it up pretty good. I’m glad my DD was a teenager and not a little one for waht was coming out of their mouths…Plus I wasn’t impressed with the staff, housekeeping in particular.

It isn’t a resort we’d ever stay at again, it just didn’t “fit” us at all!

I’ve stayed at CSR many times - it’s a favorite for me and my fiance - and we’ve never run into a convention crowd. It’s always quiet and peaceful.

However, we hardly ever go to the main building of a resort when we’re in WDW. We check in, drop our stuff in our room, and then hit the parks hard! :laugh: We always eat in the parks or in the room. We do use both the quiet pools and the main pool at CSR and have never encountered anything inappropriate - it’s always a crowd of small children and families. Maybe we just get lucky when we go to CSR and it’s not peak convention time?

It is a big resort. It can be a long walk from your room to the main building, or from your room to the main pool. If you’d rather be closer to one of these, you can request it.

Thanks, on our next stay I may visit it to see what it’s like. I think I’ll stay with POFQ for now.

Everyone likes something different. We love CSR we have stayed there 3 times with our kids. They love the pool and food court. My DW And DS were there 12/09 for Christmas and I told them they could stay anywhere they wanted and DS picked CSR again. We have never noticed the convention center people although other people have said they did. It is a very easy resort to get around and we enjoyed walking around the lake at night. They also have redone all the rooms.

[QUOTE=Caseys Corner;1029008]We always wanted to stay at Coronado, but some things we heard scare us.

1. It’s also a convention center. Will this impact a family vacation.

2. They charge you to sit in the food court?

3. Is it to large like Caribean Beach. We stayed at trinidad south. What a haul to the main building.

Our safe resort is POFQ it works for us. Seeing our concerns and safe resort do you think we should concider Coronado Springs?[/QUOTE]

Casey -

I just stayed there this past January for work for two nights. Here’s my thoughts.

1. I know for certain the families were impacted by our huge group…I actually felt sorry for anyone who was on vacation with us there. People were outta control and it really wasn’t cool for families.

2.the food court is akin to wolfgang puck express. You get your own food, but a server brings you drinks. I really enjoyed the food and the service and loved leaving a tip for how well they took care of me there. Totally not as bad as you think.

1. The place is HUGE!!!

2. I am also a POFQ…I wouldn’t even consider leaving there for CSR…not by a long shot.

We have stayed there several times before we purchased DVC…

it is very nice in the day time, but it does get pretty loud in the evenings especial after they added Cafe Rix a few years back…
(more like a lounge/night club)

1. It’s also a convention center. Will this impact a family vacation. Yes, since it is a convention resort, the buses and pools are less crowded because the convention people are there to work.

2. They charge you to sit in the food court? A 10% gratuity is charged to eat at the Pepper Market. For this you get seated, drinks served to you, tabled bused by the staff, refills, coffee. The tip is split among everyone that works at the PM including the chefs.

3. Is it to large like Caribean Beach. We stayed at trinidad south. What a haul to the main building. CBR surrounds a 45 acre lake and CSR surrounds a 15 acre lake.

Our safe resort is POFQ it works for us. Seeing our concerns and safe resort do you think we should consider Coronado Springs? You must be prepared to do more walking than at POFQ. That is a very small resort in comparison. 1,000 rooms vs 1,917 rooms at CSR.

It seems like a matter of personal choice. I think our next visit we will visit their. We do like the smaller quiet locations like POFQ.

Really? Wow, we always leave a tip on the table. I didn’t know it was included!

We love this resort, it’s our Mod of choice. The only time I noticed a convention was when we went to dine in their “sit down” dining. There were all soldiers there, since is was a “reunion” of desert storm. Other then that it’s like any other resort with people around.

The newly refurb rooms are WONDERFUL . . . Queen size beds, pillow top, flat screen TVs, etc. (I have a TR on here somewhere giving it an AWESOME review with pictures) I don’t think you will be disappointed. FQ is nice and small, but is in desperate need of an overhaul. (IMHO)

We have stayed at Coronado several times. It is a very big resort. On two of our trips there were conventions and neither effected our trip.

The pool at the hotel is nice. My son loved the slide! We were in bldg 7 which wasnt too far a walk to the pool. It was a long walk to the main bldg to eat but we took the car. It was not a big deal.

The restaurants at the Coronado are pricey …even the Pepper Market cost us more than usual. The quick serv counter we found to be awful. But having two COMFY queen size beds and the privacy doors separating the dressing area and the beds was a major plus.

There isnt one perfect resort so it comes down to what is important. We prefer the bigger COMFY beds…that to us is important.

Also CSR was just completely renovated last year, queen beds were added ans well as flat panel LCD tv’s. This is something POFQ is in desperate need of.

[QUOTE=Caseys Corner;1029008]We always wanted to stay at Coronado, but some things we heard scare us.

1. It’s also a convention center. Will this impact a family vacation. Yes, being surrounded by businesspeople with brifcases and cell phones is a huge buzzkill. The resort does NOT feel magical to us at all.

2. They charge you to sit in the food court? There is a charge for someone to fetch your drink and all that, which you can do yourself for free at the other mods. And we thoguht the food was not good at all.

3. Is it to large like Caribean Beach. We stayed at trinidad south. What a haul to the main building. We visited SIL at CSR and debated whether to go to her cool pool. But it was so far from her room that we decided to pass on swimming.

Our safe resort is POFQ it works for us. Seeing our concerns and safe resort do you think we should concider Coronado Springs?[/QUOTE]

Here’s our take on it:
Our safe resort is POR, so you know I don’t have an issue just with resorts just because of size. Nor do I have a problem with the amenitities at a moderate. We have stayed also stayed at CSR (yes, it is large but filled with magic and we were in the Jamaica buldings, so we were lucky to be close to everything).

OK, so here’s the deal with CSR, for us. CSR has beautiful buildings and a cool pool, definitely,no question. BUT…

We were at WDW for a magical gathering, and my SIL’s family was the only part of our group staying at CSR. The rest of us were at POR or Boardwalk.
We visited her there to see her resort and to eat at the restaurant. I felt so bad for her when we got there. The room was small and dark, the pool was a zillion miles away (especially tough for her because her son has special needs and convenience is a large factor in the ease of their vacations), and the conventioneers were everywhere. Buzzkill.

First and most important, CSR does NOT feel magical! It feels like a really nice La Quinta. You will see tons of non-magical businesspeople all around, and in the evenings, that can turn into a not-so-kidfriendly kind of deal, if you know what I mean. When we go to Disney, we are trying to get away from the world of business, so why would be want to deal with it at WDW?

And someone will come along shortly to quote miles etc. when I mention this, but to me, the CSR location is in the middle of nowhere! It feels far away from the action, and when we were there, I was overcome with the desire to hurry up and leave “to get back to the fun.” I suppose this is because it feels unmagical, but also disconnected, since there is no cool boat service to DTD, for instance, or a walkway into Epcot, or a monorail to MK, or the chance to watch EC fireworks form the parking lot…

To me, in a nutshell, CS feels offsite.

We always wanted to stay at Coronado, but some things we heard scare us.

1. It’s also a convention center. Will this impact a family vacation. Yes, being surrounded by businesspeople with brifcases and cell phones is a huge buzzkill. The resort does NOT feel magical to us at all.

2. They charge you to sit in the food court? There is a charge for someone to fetch your drink and all that, which you can do yourself for free at the other mods. And we thoguht the food was not good at all.

3. Is it to large like Caribean Beach. We stayed at trinidad south. What a haul to the main building. We visited SIL at CSR and debated whether to go to her cool pool. But it was so far from her room that we decided to pass on swimming.

Our safe resort is POFQ it works for us. Seeing our concerns and safe resort do you think we should concider Coronado Springs?

Also:
Our safe resort is POR, so you know I don’t have an issue just with resorts just because of size. Nor do I have a problem with the amenities at a moderate. We have stayed also stayed at CBR (yes, it is large but filled with magic and we were in the Jamaica buldings, so we were lucky to be close to everything).

OK, so here’s the deal with CSR, for us. CSR has lots of true fans. and it has beautiful buildings and a cool pool, definitely, no question. BUT…

We were at WDW for a magical gathering, and my SIL’s family was the only part of our group staying at CSR. The rest of us were at POR or Boardwalk.

We visited her there to see her resort and to eat at the restaurant. I felt so bad for her when we got there. The room was small and dark, the pool was a zillion miles away (unappealing to all of us but especially tough for her because her son has special needs and convenience is a large factor in the ease of their vacations). And the conventioneers were everywhere. Buzzkill. I felt guilty leaving her when we were all returning to our bright, cheerful magical resorts elsewhere.

First and most important, CSR just does NOT feel magical! It feels like a supernice superhuge La Quinta. You will see tons of non-magical businesspeople all around, and in the evenings, that can turn into a not-so-kidfriendly kind of deal, if you know what I mean. When we go to Disney, we are trying to get away from the world of business, so why would be want to deal with it at WDW?

And someone will come along shortly to quote distance and miles and so forth when I mention this, but to me, the CSR location feels like it is in the middle of nowhere! It feels far, far away from the magic, and when we were there, I was overcome with the desire to hurry up and leave “to get back to the fun.” I suppose this is because it feels unmagical, but also isolated.

To me, in a nutshell, CSR feels like an offsite resort. Except with Disney bus service. I hope this opinion helps CC!