Coronado Springs

Hi all are there pro’s and con’s to staying at the Coronado Springs?
I’ve never stayed there I am trying to find out info for a friend.
TIA
Danielle

from Free Disney World Crowd Calendars, Ride Reviews, Resort Reviews, Restaurant Reviews, and More

Summary of Key Points: Coronado Springs is one of the largest, most sprawling resorts at Disney World. On top of that, there is a 15 acre lake in the middle that makes it impossible to walk directly to most places. You have to walk around the lake. Despite its large size, it is also one of the most beautifully landscaped properties and walks are usually quite pleasant as long as it isn’t 100 degrees out and raining or you’re toting crying children. There are a variety of amenities at the Coronado that are not available elsewhere, including the fitness center, salon, business center, and wireless internet which any resort guest can take advantage. The recently renovated rooms are nicer than the rooms found at the Port Orleans or Caribbean Beach Resort and the wueen size beds make it easier for four people to sleep comfortably. The LCD televisions and new furnishings are also a touch above the accommodations found at other Moderates. Those on the Disney Dining Plan may enjoy significant savings here, as the Pepper Market and Maya Grill can get pricey. It’s possible to spend $30 on a single meal at Pepper Market and more than $40 at Maya Grill. The pool is also one of the best on property, but it does get busy, especially when the weather is warm.

The biggest complaint about Coronado Springs is the size of the resort and the amount of walking necessary to get from place to place. Luckily, if you are reading this you already know about the best room locations so that should be less of a problem. The Convention Center and conventioneers in general can have both a positive and negative impact on your vacation. Chances are the convention will be catered, but if it is not there may be a lot of extra people at the Pepper Market. Unlike most children, Conventioneers also smoke and drink alcohol, which can be annoying as well, especially if you are in the Casitas section where most of the conventioneers are housed. The Pepper Market may be confusing when ordering and can get expensive, but since they make it in front of you it is guaranteed “fresh” and there is a large selection. The Maya Grill is expensive and not well reviewed. I would recommend the Coronado over the other Moderate resorts to anyone that wants to take advantage of its unique amenities and doesn’t mind potentially long walks to points of interest on property.

Pepper Market is the best! I would stay there just to be that close to the place!

I have to admit that CSR didn’t have the same “Disney” feeling when we stayed there. Admittedly, this was the first year they opened and probably didn’t have everything sorted out, but we found the “Rancheros” section to be gloomy and uninspiring and as my children were quite young at the time, I didn’t appreciate the partying conventioneers at the hot tub. We hated the Pepper Market and it was a hike everytime we wanted to get to the lobby. Maybe it’s gotten better.

Thank you all for your replies, my friend just informed me she was offered her aunts time share, so she no longer needs any info…but thank you all!!!

We love CSR… Bribren mentioned all the walking, we enjoyed the walk but depending on where your room is there may not be much walking at all. llama mentioned not as much of a Disney feeling and that is still the same, we enjoy the break from Mickey after being in the parks ALL day. They have recently upgraded all their rooms and the Pepper Market is the best.

Besides having a great main pool area, CSR also offers many deluxe amenities at a mod price (they also have suites).

CSR has queen beds and the rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous.

CSR has a fitness center, spa, tanning beds, a sauna, salon, full menu room service and a night club.

CSR has a sliding wooden door separating the sink area from the room instead of a privacy curtain like the other mods.

CSR has the same toiletries as the deluxes (except GF). CSR has separate shampoo and conditioner instead of the shampoo/conditioner combo at the other mods and values (a small thing, I know, but it means I don’t have to pack shampoo and conditioner).

CSR has the largest hot tub of the mods and one of the longest pool slides on Disney property. The pool, slide and playground area is great.

CSR has terrific transportation that is not shared with another resort.

My husband and I stayed in the Rancheros maybe 10 years ago and I thought the same things. A bit gloomy and not too disney like. I am really anxious to see the renovations and take advantage of the pool. We have two children now and I think they will like the pool slide and playground. I like that the hotel doesn’t share their bus service. I plan on requesting the Cabanas section (people seem to really like the location of these buildings)

I’am always with you about CSR, buzz. One of my favorite resorts.

[QUOTE=QueenofHearts;1065474]My husband and I stayed in the Rancheros maybe 10 years ago and I thought the same things.[/QUOTE]The resort has been totally renovated and the rooms completely redone since then.

When we stayed in 2009, we fell in love with the place. We found it generally a calmer resort but maybe that was just when we went. We are really sad that we can’t get a room there for our upcoming trip in December.

[QUOTE=buzz2001;1065439]
CSR has queen beds and the rooms have been recently renovated and are gorgeous. [/QUOTE]

This is the biggest plus. Right now, other than the deluxe resorts, CSR is the only resort with queen beds, certainly the only mod. The values and the other mods have double beds and really are not comfortable for two full sized people.

[QUOTE=buzz2001;1065439]
CSR has terrific transportation that is not shared with another resort. [/QUOTE]

This is technically true, but CSR has a four stop loop which makes it not much different than the Crescent Lake resort loop with one bus and 5 hotels or the All Stars which usually share buses between the three; and certainly no different than CBR or Port Orleans where Riverside and FQ usually share buses.
The only resort at this time that has a dedicated one stop route is Pop, and even that could change once they finally open World of Animation (formerly known as Pop Century: The Forgotten Years) in a few years.

Nancy, I would not give up hope for a room at CSR.
You might have to wait for people to change their plans and you might try playing around with your dates by breaking your trip into two portions.
Many times you will get blocked out because you are looking for 6 days in a row, but they only have the room you want for 5 days but a different class room for the 6th day. If this happens, oftentimes you will be able to stay in your original room once you check in because the hotel itself will be able to move people around.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1065674]Nancy, I would not give up hope for a room at CSR.
You might have to wait for people to change their plans and you might try playing around with your dates by breaking your trip into two portions.
Many times you will get blocked out because you are looking for 6 days in a row, but they only have the room you want for 5 days but a different class room for the 6th day. If this happens, oftentimes you will be able to stay in your original room once you check in because the hotel itself will be able to move people around.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I never thought of breaking up our trip into 2 separate bookings that way. We have tried to move our dates by 1 week either way & that didn’t work. I am going to give your idea a try.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1065672]This is technically true, but CSR has a four stop loop which makes it not much different than the Crescent Lake resort loop with one bus and 5 hotels or the All Stars which usually share buses between the three; and certainly no different than CBR or Port Orleans where Riverside and FQ usually share buses.[/QUOTE]The terrific transportation is not just because of the number of stops or size of the loop (all which are less than the ones you mention), it’s because since CSR is a convention resort, there aren’t near the amount of people going to parks as there are at other resorts. This is a very good thing. Also, because of CSR’s location, they have short rides to to the parks. (see map below)

Ditto. Gloomy.

I don’t want ot be at a convention hotel while we are vacationing. I also just didn’t like Pepper Market.

Prefer Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter, or Caribbean Beach Resort – they feel more like Disney.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1065728]Ditto. Gloomy.

I don’t want ot be at a convention hotel while we are vacationing. I also just didn’t like Pepper Market.
[/QUOTE]

It really depends on individual taste, I really like Pepper Market, but it is the same as a “Move N’ Pick” near us so I am used to it. DBF on the other hand can’t seem to get used to it. He likes the food, but prefers a simpler process: you get seated, you get a server, you get your food :biggrin:.

We stayed at Coronado last November and liked it better than I had anticipated. The Cast Members (especially front desk, bell services and concierge) were all very nice. The renovated rooms were lovely. I loved the Queen Beds and the mattresses were very comfortable. It felt like a notch up from the other moderates. I also liked the sliding door that divided the bathroom from the bedroom.

We had good luck with buses and found the grounds to be peaceful and pretty. We mostly used Cafe Rix for breakfast and found it to be adequate. I was not a fan of the Pepper Market, though. I found it difficult to navigate and the CMs there were not very helpful.

If POFQ and POR were not being renovated with the Queen beds and new tvs, etc, I would probably pick Coronado again but since they will both be shiny and new soon, I will likely always choose them first if given an option.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1065728]I don’t want to be at a convention hotel while we are vacationing.[/QUOTE]That knocks out the Y&BC, BW, GF, Cont, Swan & Dolphin as well since they are all convention resorts.

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1065742]If POFQ and POR were not being renovated with the Queen beds and new tvs, etc, I would probably pick Coronado again but since they will both be shiny and new soon, I will likely always choose them first if given an option.[/QUOTE]I heard that POFQ is getting queens but is POR too? I wonder why they didn’t add them to CBR then during their rehab?