Cover charge for downtown disney

We are arriving around noon on Monday and I was planning on taking DD to downtown disney to do some shopping that afternoon. We have to make sure that we get her Mr. Potato Head pieces. Can yall let me know if there is a cover charge to get into Downtown Disney or is this an ungated area. I do not want to waste any of my park hopper days.

No cover charge. It’s just a shopping area… and so much more. :mickey:

for the summer months they have also waived the cover charge to walk around Pleasure Island however you still have to pay to get into the clubs there.

Yeah, there’s just a separate section in the middle (you can walk right around it) that you have to pay to enter --Pleasure Island (mainly bars & clubs, some shopping, munchie food). Although I hear they’re planning to change the Pleasure Island policy to allow free admission so that people can come in and shop & generally hang around, and they’d only have to pay for a bracelet if they want to go into the clubs. I don’t know if that’s gone into effect yet, but I think PI is only open at night anyhoo.

If you do go to Pleasure Island, by the way, definitely check out the Adventurer’s Club! What a hoot! :biggrin:

Ooops – 15 mins beat me to it on the new PI policy! Thanks for the update!

And for TOTAL disclosure…

There is a cover charge for DisneyQuest which is the “virtual theme park.” DQ is fun, but if you have to pay for it, it’s a rip-off. JMHO.

Also, you can also pay to see La Nouba, the Cirque du Soleil show. This, on the other hand, is VERY worth it. It tends to sell out, but there are box office only (semi obstructed view) seats that are available every day. From what I could figure, the obstructed view seats don’t obstruct anything but the very back of the stage, and there isn’t a whole lot that happens back there anyway.

One note… if you want a great, quick and reasonably priced meal… go to Earl of Sandwich. They have the BEST sandwiches EVER!

Gosh durn it, yer riiiiight! I forgot all about DQ & la Noubwahahaha!

Nice to know about the cheapseats. I’ve always wanted to go, but the price just seems ridiculously extravagant. How much cheaper are they, if you remember?

I’m not quite sure, but I think that the Box Office Only seats are around $40 for adults. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

But, I’m telling you, even at the higher prices, it’s worth it.

ok well I forgot the house of Blue’s I believe has a cover charge too (in the west end across from disney quest)

I think the part of Downtown Disney that would interest you the most is the Marketplace, which is where your daughter can get her Mr. Potato Head pieces - at Once Upon a Toy, ( for Disney, a rather reasonably priced toy store). This is also where the Leggo Store is (stop to enjoy the HUGE Leggo sculptures outside) as well as the biggest Disney Store you’ll ever hope to see. There are also squirting fountains for kids to play in. And some small carnival-like rides. This is also where you will find the Rainforest Cafe and Ghirardelli Soda Fountain for incredible ice cream. The Marketplace is a wonderful place to entertain kids for a few hours.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! If it’s only $40, we would definitely give it a whirl. Have you seen their shows on Bravo? It really looks amazing.

There’s only a cover when they have live music (unless things have changed --anyone?). We went for dinner a few years ago, and there was no live music going on, and it ran like a regular restaurant. They have schedules up so you can plan ahead. Great theming! :happy:

I love watching the touring companies on Bravo (Quidam, Drallion, etc.), but I’m not a big fan of the new Cirque series. It’s a little too off the wall for me.

I haven’t caught it. Did you watch any of their reality show that was on last year? So interesting. I was (sort of) surprised at how uncompromising the direction was…But then again, I think that’s what it takes to make a big production actually happen according to one person’s vision (much the way films benefit from directors who are control freaks, although it makes people complain).

The making of Varekai… I loved it.

If we weren’t planning on going back to WDW in Dec, we’d probably splurge to see Varekai when they come to Boston this year. We saw Quidam a couple of years ago and it was terrific.

Coming to Boston? Hmmmm. (I’m in RI) Alas, we’re rubbin’ nickles at this point. Although perhaps our luck will turn by December! I’m going to keep that one in mind.

Or maybe I should brush up on my aerobatics and make a “guest appearance”? I had a friend who dressed up and boogied, and ended up on stage at a Prince show once. Like, why not dress up like a clown and crash the circus? Why do we limit ourselves so? Up the proletariat! On with the clown noses! :pirate: Arrr!

Rubbin’ nickels in RI is a common thing, Charlestown RI here and rubbin’ them too :mickey: :biggrin:

You’re kidding! We’re in Richmond! Love that East Beach! :mickey:

Can anyone tell me Downtown Disney’s hours. Having problems finding them on the web. Thanks!

Found this on allearsnet.com:

HOURS OF OPERATION
(As of February 2004)

DOWNTOWN DISNEY Marketplace:

Shops open 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Sunday - Thursday
Shops open 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Friday - Saturday
Restaurants open daily 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.

DOWNTOWN DISNEY Pleasure Island
Shops open daily 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.
Clubs open nightly 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.

DOWNTOWN DISNEY West Side

Shops open 10:30 a.m. - 11 p.m. - Sunday - Thursday
Shops open 10:30 a.m. - Midnight - Friday - Saturday
Restaurants open daily from 11 a.m. - Midnight

DisneyQuest
11:30 a.m. - 11 p.m. - Sunday - Thursday
11:30 a.m. - Midnight - Friday & Saturday

Cirque Du Soleil Theater

Shows at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. Tuesday - Saturday