CRAZY Carvan: Destination DISNEY!

Four adults, six kids (17, 16, 14, 14, 12, & 9), one van, one truck, and a camper built for eight…

DECEMBER 21st - DAY ONE: Prepping to leave our cozy campsite in Lake Park, GA. Only three hours until we arrive at FW. We’ve been bunking together for three nights…all 10 of us in our tiny little camper. Can’t wait to boot the two 14yr olds out and into their own tent in the kingdom. It’s been a rollercoaster of emotions and stress levels…all very memorable…

Attaching a pic of the two oldest “boys” as they fish with cane poles and hot dogs at the campground last night.

See you all at the FORT!!!

Just remember you’re creating wonderful memories…can’t wait to hear more

That looks like Mike in his happy place!! Can’t wait to hear more. You guys should be there pretty soon!

Would much rather be in your caravan than digging out my driveway from 18" of snow!!

My DW says it’s been very cold at night. Hope they have warm sleeping bags.

Sorry for the delay…

We arrived at FW to discover there was a $9.95 charge per day for internet use. On a WDW budget…no way! That’s like one nice trading pin a day…

So, you get the update as I remember. Thank goodness, I was a tad bit overzealous with planning. I’ll use my daily plan as a guide for pics…

On the way to WDW…

[QUOTE=HappyCamper;1009138]Four adults, six kids (17, 16, 14, 14, 12, & 9), one van, one truck, and a camper built for eight…
[/QUOTE]

WOW! Amazing! This is going to be an awesome TR!! How many nights did you get to enjoy FW?

I just read your Word file, I am impressed how super organized you are! I guess that is an absolute necessity with such a big party size. Two questions; what is “Pratt dinner/brunch/lunch?” and what is a “fanny pack lunch?”

I am anxious to see how much your crew ended up staying on schedule, or where/when you deviated from the plan.

Arriving at FW and setting up camp on Sunny Sage Way…
What a great plan to boot the two 14 year old boys out and into a tent. They nicknamed themselves “The (hopelessly) Lost Boys”.

We were lucky enough to stay 11 nights, 12 WONDERFUL days.

That’s so awesome, nice long trip! I LOVE Fort Wilderness & miss it terribly. I think I’d rent an RV & ditch my fancy DVC digs for ONE trip just to stay at FW again. And it would have it be in an RV like I remember, the cabins don’t count in my world. :laugh:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1010709]I just read your Word file, I am impressed how super organized you are! I guess that is an absolute necessity with such a big party size. Two questions; what is “Pratt dinner/brunch/lunch?” and what is a “fanny pack lunch?”

I am anxious to see how much your crew ended up staying on schedule, or where/when you deviated from the plan.[/QUOTE]

This is my way of helping pass the time months before a trip. I get to daydream a bit and plan to get the most out of every day. My planning guide was one of many files I put together to plan for this trip. I also have a driving schedule (complete with stop information and mileage), a color-coded EMH schedule, camper set up overview, homemade meal plan ideas, must-do wishes for the group, and an excel spreadsheet with expenses and breakdowns. Sick, I know…It’s the teacher in me…LOL!

As for the Pratt/Stephens dinners and fanny pack lunches, we went on the trip on a very tight budget. Niether family could afford to be free with funds, so we decided to pre-cook most of our big meals. My family (Stephens) made five meals to freeze and the Pratt family made five. All meals were placed in a slow cooker (complete with a liner for quick and easy clean up) while we were out enjoying the parks. I began making meals in August as we harvested the last of our veggies from our garden. Meals included sloppy joes, chicken fajitas, split pea soup, chili, veggies 'n kielbasa and tacos. Fanny pack lunches were sandwich wraps, chunks of cheese 'n summer sausage, or pre-cooked-ready to eat hotdogs that we wrapped and placed in fanny packs/back-packs as a snack while in the parks. Of course, we also included chips and other snacks to tie us over.

[QUOTE=HappyCamper;1010716]
As for the Pratt/Stephens dinners and fanny pack lunches, we went on the trip on a very tight budget. Niether family could afford to be free with funds, so we decided to pre-cook most of our big meals. My family (Stephens) made five meals to freeze and the Pratt family made five. All meals were placed in a slow cooker (complete with a liner for quick and easy clean up) while we were out enjoying the parks. I began making meals in August as we harvested the last of our veggies from our garden. Meals included sloppy joes, chicken fajitas, split pea soup, chili, veggies 'n kielbasa and tacos. Fanny pack lunches were sandwich wraps, chunks of cheese 'n summer sausage, or pre-cooked-ready to eat hotdogs that we wrapped and placed in fanny packs/back-packs as a snack while in the parks. Of course, we also included chips and other snacks to tie us over.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that’s pretty cool & deviceful to do all that meal planning. So here’s my technical question cause I grew up RVing, even though our party was only 2 adults & 1 child my Grandma STILL complained about not having enough space for food. Where did you store all these frozen meals & food? Do you bring one of those coolers that you plug into the cigarette lighter or a generator powered one? Was this all done in ONE crockpot for 10 people?

Monday, Dec 21st

•Check –In, parents set up camp while kids go on Fort Wilderness “tour”
•Bus to Downtown Disney – Disney Quest

Thanks to some excellent weather, set up went well. The kids split to check out FW. Played basketball, rode the bus, checked out the petting farm, etc. Meanwhile, we battled getting the add-a-room set up and spreading out our stuff. Home-sweet-camper!

By late afternoon, we were on a bus to Downtown Disney. (Our first time there) We walked, window shopped, danced, and dropped the kids off at DQ. Took the boat back to Ghiradelli for some decadent chocolate drink…Mmmmmm!

Our trailer has a regular camper size fridge/freezer. On the way down, we packed the cold-cuts and economy-size bag of hotdogs in a cooler. (We took out most of the drinks to make room) The rest of the goods were jammed into the fridge. All ten pre-cooked crock pot meals fit real nicely in the freezer. (When making the ready to heat meals before the trip, we vaccuum sealed each making flat “parcels” so they stacked.) As we ate meals, room became available in fridge to add the dogs and lunch meats. All other dry goods (spaghetti, cereal, boxed milk, canned goods, etc) were stored in the camper’s only wardrobe. (My husband built a shelving unit and fitted it into the space…I’ll post a pic of it to share.)

Because the food took over space for clothes, I assigned one Rubbermade tote to every two people in the group. (The totes were lined up and stored in the bed of the truck on the way down…every knew to pack a bag for our trip down…these stayed in the camper) When we reached FW, the grown ups found space in the camper to house all of our clothes while the kids kept their shared totes in the add-a-room space. The two “lost boys” kept their tote in the tent. We packed enough clothes to last 8 days knowing a wash day would be needed. Besides, we were camping, so a multi-day wear of shorts or jeans was the plan. Changing undies was a must…all else optional…:laugh:

Oh, and yes…one crockpot. Not a super-sized one, but one big enough to do the trick. Not sure on the size but too lazy to check the camper right now. :redface: I will tell you, all meals were eaten to fill all campers. We even had leftovers from time to time that were snacked on later.

It was definately tricky and very challenging to fit all that we needed into the camper and vehicles, but we did it. Pic of my girlfriend should sum up the loading process before we left… :ohmy:

[QUOTE=HappyCamper;1010701]Sorry for the delay…

We arrived at FW to discover there was a $9.95 charge per day for internet use. On a WDW budget…no way! That’s like one nice trading pin a day…

So, you get the update as I remember. Thank goodness, I was a tad bit overzealous with planning. I’ll use my daily plan as a guide for pics…[/QUOTE]

How come I can’t open that file? :crying:
Could you possibly copy that and post it in here? I love seeing people’s plans

[QUOTE=Dopey;1010737]How come I can’t open that file? :crying:
Could you possibly copy that and post it in here? I love seeing people’s plans[/QUOTE]

I’ll have to work on figuring out how. The word file was uploaded but it won’t show as a pic. Tried to copy it over to paint, but it cuts off part of my plan…unacceptable! Stay tuned, I’ll get it right…

AHHH! Vaccuum sealing!!! I think that makes a huge difference! My Grandma didn’t have that machine when I was a kid in the 80’s staying at FW! :laugh:

Also, awesome idea with the totes, gave everyone a predesignated space to pack into.

hehe, funny pic of your girlfriend! :tongue:

[QUOTE=Dopey;1010737]How come I can’t open that file? :crying:
Could you possibly copy that and post it in here? I love seeing people’s plans[/QUOTE]

It should open automatically if you have Microsoft Word on your computer Dopey. Do you know if you have that?