Credit Cards at check in

I know we have discussed the fact that you do not have to leave a credit card for you kttw, but for the life of me I cannot remember if you had to show one as a security deposit. My cousins are going and their trip was paid for by family. They do not own a credit card, so if they require a card at checking for the $500 security deposit that some hotels require then they will have to get a pre paid.
I know we stayed at a Hilton once and and they said that they just needed to look at the card and photo copy it. But in reality they tied up $500 for 10 days on my cards account erg!

It’s an option, not a requirement. I don’t ever do it.

Dana do you mean its an option at WDW or at American hotels in general? We’ve always just handed ours over as we just presumed thats what you did in the USA- we even made Paul’s parents go and get a CC as we were worried they would have problems at check in.
CBR once charged the 24 hrs following our check out to my card and it was charges made by another family in the room we’d vacated. Luckily the charges were not too bad, as CBR wouldn’t refund.

[QUOTE=dixie;1075201]
CBR once charged the 24 hrs following our check out to my card and it was charges made by another family in the room we’d vacated. Luckily the charges were not too bad, as CBR wouldn’t refund.[/QUOTE]

1. Why didn’t you press harder against Disney? Especially if you have proof you were on a plane heading home or that you were checked in to another American hotel in another place.

2. Why didn’t you dispute the charges with your credit card company?
    Especially if that card shows activity away from WDW at the same time you were being charged for additional items in WDW.

3. I’m going to assume you were on Magical Express at a verifiable time that coincided with the additional charges, so this should prove the charges weren’t yours.

Generally all hotels ask for a credit card number to keep on file to cover any additional charges such as room service or on site dining and phone or internet charges.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1075212]1. Why didn’t you press harder against Disney? Especially if you have proof you were on a plane heading home or that you were checked in to another American hotel in another place.

1. Why didn’t you dispute the charges with your credit card company?
    Especially if that card shows activity away from WDW at the same time you were being charged for additional items in WDW.

2. I’m going to assume you were on Magical Express at a verifiable time that coincided with the additional charges, so this should prove the charges weren’t yours.

Generally all hotels ask for a credit card number to keep on file to cover any additional charges such as room service or on site dining and phone or internet charges.[/QUOTE]

We fought Disney for almost a year on this issue. On checking in, I innocently and stupidly signed without reading what I was signing. We left the room on the 3rd and charges were applicable up to midnight on the 3rd even though we had checked out at 6.a.m and were actually airborne to the UK a couple of hours later. The new family checked in that afternoon and had alcoholic drinks and CS meals charged to the room which I paid for. The tab was around $65.00.

My credit card company said that unfortunately my signature is binding. I had indeed signed and that was that. I made numerous phone calls to both the USA (Disney) and to my card issuer- which of course was also totalling up the charges.
Now when I check in I always take the card date to the day before we leave, so I am sure we incur no one else’s charges.

We dont take ME as we have a hire car.

This also happened to us at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, after we checked out, someone emptied the room’s mini bar, we checked out at 5.a.m and the charges went through around 9.a.m- we can only presume it was either the housekeeping staff or the door had been left open. The fridge was completely emptied and the charges were extortionate. I sent several e-mails as the time difference made calling difficult. They just kept sending me a list of what was taken. Then two months later, quite out of the blue, the charges were credited back to my card, no explanation, no apology- I am very wary of using Credit cards in hotels after these experiences.

[QUOTE=dixie;1075201]Dana do you mean its an option at WDW or at American hotels in general? We’ve always just handed ours over as we just presumed thats what you did in the USA- we even made Paul’s parents go and get a CC as we were worried they would have problems at check in.
CBR once charged the 24 hrs following our check out to my card and it was charges made by another family in the room we’d vacated. Luckily the charges were not too bad, as CBR wouldn’t refund.[/QUOTE]

It’s been an option at every hotel I have stayed with. I just traveled for work and we were “encouraged” to leave a credit card which I declined to do. Disney cast memebers always ask me if I want to and I just don’t do it. I like to see what I am spending and not lose track. I only pay in cash.

Disney resorts are pretty unique as far as American hoteliers, because Disney resorts DO NOT REQUIRE A CREDIT/DEBIT CARD AT CHECK-IN.

They won’t even ask for it. Well, they’ll ask if you want to set up a room charge (optional, and even if you want to, you don’t need plastic to set one up). They’ll also ask if you want to set up express check-out (on your last day, just vacate the room by check-out time … don’t have to go to the front desk, don’t have to call, etc.); if you want express check-out then YES, you MUST give them a credit/debit card.

But a Disney resort will NOT ask for a credit or debit card for “security” or “incidentals” or “to have on file” or anything like that. Period.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1075248]Disney resorts are pretty unique as far as American hoteliers, because Disney resorts DO NOT REQUIRE A CREDIT/DEBIT CARD AT CHECK-IN.

They won’t even ask for it. Well, they’ll ask if you want to set up a room charge (optional, and even if you want to, you don’t need plastic to set one up). They’ll also ask if you want to set up express check-out (on your last day, just vacate the room by check-out time … don’t have to go to the front desk, don’t have to call, etc.); if you want express check-out then YES, you MUST give them a credit/debit card.

But a Disney resort will NOT ask for a credit or debit card for “security” or “incidentals” or “to have on file” or anything like that. Period.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!! That is what I was hoping to hear for my cousins sake, because I was not sure who was going to get them a prepaid CC for the trip after all the other money that was dished out for them. The family is even covering lost wages.

I’m glad that Disney’s rules match your needs!

Disney is very unique and has all kinds of rules and policies that are quite different from all the other hotels and theme parks. With Disney, you can’t ever make an assumption based on what usually happens elsewhere.

But because Disney’s way of doing things is so different from all the rest, I’ve often had people disagree with what I posted above. But please trust me that what I wrote in this thread is 100% accurate and is not at all based on my opinion or assumption or guess … rather, it’s 100% accurate Disney World info.

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1075248]Disney resorts are pretty unique as far as American hoteliers, because Disney resorts DO NOT REQUIRE A CREDIT/DEBIT CARD AT CHECK-IN.

But a Disney resort will NOT ask for a credit or debit card for “security” or “incidentals” or “to have on file” or anything like that. Period.[/QUOTE]

I have honestly never been asked at other hotels either. I have been asked if I want to set up a room charge, but have never been forced to leave one as a deposit. I have stayed in a slew of hotels traveling for work and grabbing a room rather than driving hours. All the rooms were not associated with the company and I have never been forced. I am sure there are chains that require it, but I haven’t found one yet.

Ah that makes sense- we’ve done express check out every time- but still my charges went on after check out- maybe a one off, maybe not.

You can still do express check out, but stopping by the desk the night before you leave. CC is not necessary for it.