Crowd calendar - now I'm scared!

Just looked at the Touring Plans crowd calendar - and it has changed a bit. Our 1st day at MK (Saturday, 11/12) is now a 10/10! :pinch: The busiest we’ve ever been was 7 or 8, and that was nuts to us. The rest of our trip is lower - 3’s and 4’s, which is great, but still higher than when I first started planning, it was 1’s and 2’s all week.

so, what to expect for a 10 day? Maybe we’ll plan to spend more time at the resort after we check in and head to DTD some too if it’s too crowded.

I want to do rope drop, but maybe not on this day? It is PM EMH, so maybe we’ll take advantage of that. It also says it’s Jersey Week that day (also lists is the Thurs before, so is this the last day of that?).

I think the crowds predictions have something to do with NJ’s Teacher convention. The kids here in NJ have off the 10th and 11th of November, so many people take the week to visit Disney, and then their kids don’t miss so much school. We’ve been there during that time, and it was crowed, but manageable. It was funny because everyone was from NJ, and you could tell :). I’m from NJ, so I can say that :). Don’t worry though, they will all probably clear out by the 13th, and it will be a lot less crowded.

Have an AWESOME trip, and I can’t wait to hear all about it!

I’m throwing crowd calendars out the window. We’re here now - arrived on the 13th and the parks have been crazy busy - especially Epcot with the Food & Wine Festival. We’ve been able to see and do everything - but it sure is more crowded than I thought it would be at this time of year. The calendars said this was one of the slowest times! Ha! I think we’re going back to January after this.

January was nice - that was our 1st trip :slight_smile: We’ve done October twice and loved it, and June once and it was 7’s/8’s and too crowded for us. I really hope the crowd calendar is wrong and it’s going to be super slow our week :slight_smile:

You are going during “jersey week”…wear big hair and say use foul language alot and you will be fine…I am kidding and I am also allowed to say that because I am from NJ and may or may not fit the profile.

On a serious, seriouss note: please pay no mind to that calender. Get to the parks at rope drop and do the headliners before lunch time. The rest is gravy. No worries!

[QUOTE=emamasa;1093775]Just looked at the Touring Plans crowd calendar - and it has changed a bit. Our 1st day at MK (Saturday, 11/12) is now a 10/10! :pinch: The busiest we’ve ever been was 7 or 8, and that was nuts to us. The rest of our trip is lower - 3’s and 4’s, which is great, but still higher than when I first started planning, it was 1’s and 2’s all week.

so, what to expect for a 10 day? Maybe we’ll plan to spend more time at the resort after we check in and head to DTD some too if it’s too crowded.

I want to do rope drop, but maybe not on this day? It is PM EMH, so maybe we’ll take advantage of that. It also says it’s Jersey Week that day (also lists is the Thurs before, so is this the last day of that?).[/QUOTE]

We have been NYE, Christmas, New Years Day, and 4th of July (New Years Eve by far the worst as EPCOT closed. So this is what I have found for a good 10+ strategy. I WOULD NOT GO TO MK…NO ESCAPE.

1. Go to EPCOT (large and spacious/hides the crowds better)
  2. Get there at Park Opening
  3. Once inside the park have 1 person (the best at getting through crowds) run ahead to get Soarin FP - there will be MAD DASH, it is insane.
  4. After FP obtained, go ride Nemo or chill in the international pavillion
  5. If EMH at EPCOT, get there for that and then do #3, and then go to Akershush for breakfast.
  6. Find “alernatives” to pass time. Things Like Kim Possible.
  7. Make it a picture day - we have a picture day on these days. We spend a ton of time taking pics…kids look for spots and making memories.
  8. EAT - schedule 2 sitdowns.
  9. Break away for some Ice Cream and a stroll down the Boardwalk
  10. Ride when you can and FP when you can…use the boards with wait-time to your advantage
  11. FINALLY, do not get frustrated - realize going in that this is a different day and riding is not THE ONLY objective

good advice, but it’s our 1st day in the parks and we have to do MK. Tradition. it’s going to be fine, I decided that we’ll go into it with a positive attitude, knowing that we’ll most likely hang out at the resort quite a bit, and will just plan on meals away from MK. We had thought about going to DTD and hitting a grocery store, so this just makes it seem like an even better idea to get away from the crowds at MK that day.

plus, it’s EMH that night, so we’ll plan to hit that too.

And I am still holding out that the numbers are way off and it’ll be much lighter crowds…

I agree with Dana, I think park predictions are very hard to estimate unless definitely round a holiday. I’ve been in May, July, August, September, October and November and always been able to get round and more or less do everything. Just once in July MK went to capacity and that was unbearable. Enjoy your trip.

The cheerleading finals are that day probably. They are usually there during the first or second week of dec.

We are there in November, so I don’t think we’ll be inundated with cheerleaders - just a few folks from jersey :slight_smile:

Don’t forget…the MK is now opened until 12 am with extra hours until 3 am. That is one reason for the increase. Plus it’s a Saturday and Veteran’s Day Weekend, the end of Jersey Week, some golf thingy, then last weekend of the F&W Festival and the art thing at Downtown Disney.

Phew! :wacko:

Oh wow! I had not noticed that the hours had changed - 3am! woo! that’s going to be fun! I am so glad you posted that, thank you! I still had the park closing at 10, so EMH til 1.

now to go check all of my hours for the week on the official site, not just relying on what I had in my spreadsheet from a month ago (or longer maybe)!!

Yes, check the hours for that week. They did change. Plus they add some more Fantasmic shows too on certain nights. I wil be there from the 11 – 19.

Even the AK has extended hours until 7pm oncertain nights. I ususally go that same week each year and the crowds are very manageable as long as you avoid certain parks on certain days over the weekend.

Have fun!!!

We really want to do MK on Sat the 12th and Epcot on the 13th, I hope it’s not too crazy! We’ll be at both parks another day (or 2) so hopefully that will be ok.

the rest of the week shouldn’t be busy, right? according to touring plans it’s not.

I wish the resorts had all of the decorations up on the 12th, then we’d just go resort hopping when it’s too crowded.

The MK will be busy but if you are EMH people then you stay later and really enjoy it when the crowds are less.

EP on Sunday will be ok. It will be busy because it’s the last day of the F&W but after dinner time, last year the place emptied out!!! We got there around 3pm and WS was packed. We headed down to FW (more manageable) and then to dinner for 6pm.

After dinner we went back into WS and NO ONE was there! It was great!

I’m doing HS on Saturday (our sleep in day since we are arriving the day prior and will be up at 3am for our flight!). We plan to hit the sit down shows mostly.

Then AK in the am on Sunday/EP in the afternoon.

The MK and EP would be a better choice on Sunday to really avoid the crowds. The MK will have shorter hours and they are coming off Saturday with the EMH so it will be less crowded.

Either way I’m sure you will have a good time. Don’t stress about it.

On another note…THIS IS POST 100 FOR ME :smile: :smile:

We hit Jersey week once and it was crazy! Just do what the others have told you and be there at rope drop. You will be fine and get through everything you want to see.
Another thing to remember too is that Friday is Veteran’s Day. Federal employees have that day off and I bet quite a few take that week off so they only burn 4 days of vacation.

the 3am EMH’s are a BLAST - it takes till about 12:30 or 1am for them to really thin out on busy days but when they do its a blast…MK ideas for beating the crowds.

the 3 MAIN rides make it a little easier to get FP for any of them but Space Mountain will go first so FP that, then Splash Mountain, then Thunder Mountain. Things that you won’t have to wait a ton to do.

Mickey’s Philarmagic
The Train
My boys get haircuts to pass the time
Crystal Palace
Parades
Toys Story Ride and Stiches Great Escape are usually shorter wait times
Picture take A ton

MK 10+ day would include on evening EMH would include

10 or 11am arrival
I would get FP for everyone at Space Mountain then meet them at Walt and Mickey Statue
we would then do Mickey’s Philarmagic or POC if not both
Pass by Splash and Thunder Mountain and check wait times - anything above 45 minutes we pass on and get FP if we can wait it out
Eat at Crystal Palace between 1 and 2
By that time we would defnitely be able to FP another Mountain

then we just walk and do wat we can and pic take - we FP when we can and the last trip we got into the habit of “collecting” our FP till later in the day and night b/c EVERYONE is there waiting on Wishes.