Cruise Talk

I’ve opened this thread, so that we can talk of all things cruisin’! So…take it away!

I know some people on the Disney Dream right now. It’s their first cruise ever and they just randomly picked the Dream, not even realizing that it was a brand new ship.

I am incredibly jealous!!! :laugh:

I’d like to do one on the Dream but it looks like it’s on the Nassau/Castaway run only. With the ship so much larger, that puts a lot more people on CC.

Next year the next new one, the Fantasy will be doing longer trips it looks like.

I am hoping to get on the Disney Dream by the end of the year. As soon as my refund comes in I will book something.

I was just looking at how many points it would be to take the Alaskan cruise on the Dream in 2012. It is not listed there. Is the Alaskan cruise only offered in 2011?

All of the 2012 sail dates are not out yet.

We are going in June on the Dream, so excited, first cruise for us! I would like to hear opinions about some of the excursions. We are looking at either the Sea Lion experience or the See and Sea tour. Anyone do either of these?

I have done the DC twice and never done any of the excursions, we are usually so busy doing all the other things, maybe for the next cruise we will get to take part in the activities.

We are hoping to go on another cruise this year. I am looking at doing areas of Europe that I haven’t been to. Like the Greek Islands, or Turkey, Croatia, Sicily, Madeira.
I want to fly/cruise because I have heard if you set sail from Southampton, England you have to sail across the Bay of Biscay which is notorious for choppy, violent seas!
I was not sea sick on the Voyager, however, I could feel the motion even though the sea was as calm as a mill pond. I found the motion very dis-orientating. So I dread to think how I would fare in a storm? Any tips or tricks from you more experienced sailors?

My first cruise was in 1998, and I experienced choppy water, but nothing like what I experienced on my 4th cruise in 2010. Me, DH and DD 16 all felt like we were still moving for approx 2 days afer we got off the ship. The younger two were fine. To clarify it was like vertigo, not nausea.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1065520]I’d like to do one on the Dream but it looks like it’s on the Nassau/Castaway run only. With the ship so much larger, that puts a lot more people on CC.

Next year the next new one, the Fantasy will be doing longer trips it looks like.[/QUOTE]

This is why we didn’t book the Dream this year. I’m hoping for something different from the Fantasy.

I talked to Member Services and asked about that. DCL hasn’t given them anything for Alaska 2012 yet.

For 2011, the Alaska dates are wierd with cruises leaving on Tuesdays. That means you have to travel on work days so 1 one week cruise means 7 work days off instead of 5. When you are the entire company (and don’t make money when you aren’t working) 5 is hard enough but 7 really sucks.

They may be holding off trying to get better cruise days. The DCL site doesn’t have 2012 dates up either.

I have been to the Bahamas so many times, but I don’t care. It gives me a chance to go on the new ship and when we get to the Bahamas I will just have my folks pick us up at the harbor. We plan on trying to do the Fantasy in 2012 if we can find some sail dates that are affordable.

I love the Cruise thread!!! Thanks LLAMA!

My refund came today so I went ahead and booked! I have not told DH or the kids. :eek: DH and I talked about the dates, but I guess I need to let him know that we are all set!

I’m not a big fan of Nassau, which is the downside of the Dream. Also, I prefer to cruise for a week or longer! :laugh: But it’s been a long time since I’ve been to Castaway Cay or on a Disney ship.

Rachel, Mom, and I are in love with the Disney Dream… time to persuade Daddy!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Okay, next year is our 25th wedding anniversary, and it’s a given we will end up at Disney. But, dh and myself keep going back and forth about maybe trying a cruise for the first time ever. Here’s some of my questions/concerns:

1. I know a lot of people worry about motion sickness. Not too concerned about that because I do know Dramanine works well for me. But, what about fear of water? I’m not comfortable on say a speed boat. Is the cruise ship a different type of feel looking over the ocean. I mean, are the railings nice and high so I won’t get that fall over the deck feeling, etc.?
  2. What room to pick? In my researching, there are so many choices. It lists deck 1 though decks 5 & 6. Is 1 on the bottom and the higher numbers up higher? Is there a difference in feel?
  3. Ocean View or Inside View. What are the benefits of each?
  4. Length of stay. First looking at 3 night cruise, that way we could spend some time at the World also. But, I just came across that 7 night mediterranean cruise that looks absolutely wonderful. Of course, then we couldn’t do Disney, but what an adventure!

Well, those are the questions off the top of my head. Help me you cruisers. I need guidance!

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1065592]I’m not a big fan of Nassau, which is the downside of the Dream. Also, I prefer to cruise for a week or longer! :laugh: But it’s been a long time since I’ve been to Castaway Cay or on a Disney ship.

Rachel, Mom, and I are in love with the Disney Dream… time to persuade Daddy!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:[/QUOTE]
I wasn’t either until I found new things to do there.

I have stayed on the lower decks on Carnival and on the top passenger deck on Disney and have not noticed a major difference. One thing I would say is that on the upper deck you can hear ppl walking around and depending on which end of the ship you will feel and hear the anchor dropping.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1065659]Okay, next year is our 25th wedding anniversary, and it’s a given we will end up at Disney. But, dh and myself keep going back and forth about maybe trying a cruise for the first time ever. Here’s some of my questions/concerns:

1. I know a lot of people worry about motion sickness. Not too concerned about that because I do know Dramanine works well for me. But, what about fear of water? I’m not comfortable on say a speed boat. Is the cruise ship a different type of feel looking over the ocean. I mean, are the railings nice and high so I won’t get that fall over the deck feeling, etc.?
  2. What room to pick? In my researching, there are so many choices. It lists deck 1 though decks 5 & 6. Is 1 on the bottom and the higher numbers up higher? Is there a difference in feel?
  4. Length of stay. First looking at 3 night cruise, that way we could spend some time at the World also. But, I just came across that 7 night mediterranean cruise that looks absolutely wonderful. Of course, then we couldn’t do Disney, but what an adventure!

Well, those are the questions off the top of my head. Help me you cruisers. I need guidance![/QUOTE]
Congrats on your upcoming 25th anniversary! We took our first cruise for our belated 20th anniversary last March and fell in love with cruising. I booked a 7 night cruise just incase we never got to do another cruise. We were a bit concerned about my DH and seasickness…we took all the meds/bracelets/drops and he only used the Bonine (sp?) as a precaution the first couple of days and he did fine.
The railings are really pretty high and if the seas get a little rough, they rope them off so you can’t get close to the sides.
If we weren’t on deck, sometimes we forgot we were even on a ship, so I wouldn’t worry about feeling like your surrounded by water.
We stayed on the 4th floor, I believe, of Carnival. It’s the lowest level of passenger rooms, but there are floors below it. We’re staying on the 5th floor for our July '11 cruise. We stayed away from the 6th solely for the reason that the dining room is directly above on floor 7 and nighttime cleaning (moving of chairs and tables) gets quite noisy to the 6th floor. I’ve heard the higher you get, the more you feel movement, but I think it all depends on the size of the ship and the stablizers.
Ocean view…you either get a port hole or a picture window. Inside is just an inside room without windows…I need windows! I also like watching as we come into port!
Crusing was a great experience that we all fell in love with it(we took the twins for their Sweet 16 (a month early) Birthday…they had their own room ajoined to ours). We’re SO looking forward to July…this time we’re cruising Norwegian.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1065659]Okay, next year is our 25th wedding anniversary, and it’s a given we will end up at Disney. But, dh and myself keep going back and forth about maybe trying a cruise for the first time ever. Here’s some of my questions/concerns:

Well, those are the questions off the top of my head. Help me you cruisers. I need guidance![/QUOTE]

Congrats on your 25th!!!

The general rule is that the lower you are and the closer to the middle of the ship, the less movement you will feel. The top decks at the front of the ship are going to be the rockiest (the front is rocky because it breaks through the waves first and has more vertical motion, the top is rocky because there is more side-to-side motion).

The benefit of the ocean view to me is having the sunlight wake you up. We’ve been in an inside cabin once, and we’d find ourselves sleeping until late in the day because we had no idea what time it was. There wasn’t a clock in our room, and I remember waking up with it pitch black and just going back to sleep not knowing if it was 3am or 9am. So if you get an inside cabin, bring a travel alarm clock that you can easily read the time on when you wake up.

For me, 3-night cruises just aren’t long enough. You’re hardly on the ship. It doesn’t really give you a feel of what cruising is like. If you’re looking to “test the waters” a little, I’d recommend a 4 or 5-day. Personally, I’d go with the 7-night Mediterranean. You won’t get to go to the world, but you’ll still have a week full of Disney magic.

Happy cruising!