Cruising..Do you book yourself or use an agent

I’ve had tremendous success at finding the right deals at the right time and have always somehow managed to save more $$ doing it myself rather than using a travel agent when booking our WDW vacation stays.

I’m REALLY interested in doing a land/sea vacation in February (first I have to talk DH into the sea part) and was wondering what MBer’s prefer when booking a cruise:

1. Do you do book your own or do you go through an agent (I just can’t seem to give up control of my vacation reservation to someone else).

2. Are there any REALLY good deals for cruising in February? and what is the weather like on a February 3 or 4 day Disney cruise?

Thanks All!

I have taken 4 cruises so far (2 with disney, and two with carnival) and 2 were booked with an agent and 2 I booked myself. It was ok both ways, it’s just when I did it I had to book the transfers from the airport to the ship myself.

I did the land and sea, but I didn’t do the package thru disney it was too expensive. I just booked the hotel after the cruise myself that was for the cruise in dec 2008. We went the first week of Feb for 2010, the weather was fine except there was a storm system that travelled down from the states so we had choppy water for one day.
oh yeah the deal for the feb 2010 was good because the kids sailed free.

Thanks for the advice. Was the weather in Feb hot enough to swim and enjoy everything at Castaway Cay? For first time cruisers do you think a 3 day is enough days to get a good Disney cruise experience?

I think that is perfect for a first time cruise. DH and myself have never cruised either (I’m not one for liking water), but for our 25th anniversary, we are going on Disney’s Alaskan cruise. It’s perfect, dh gets Alaska, and I get Disney. I’m just nervous because I’m not sure how I will handle sea sickness, nervousness around water, etc. So I wish it was a short trip for our first time, but it’s a 7 day trip. So, enjoy and let us know how the first cruise goes. (We’ve are going in 2012, so have a while to go.)

the best deal I have seen is costco travel…they instead of on board credit give a substantial costco cash card and usually get you the same deal everyone else gets…except for last minute deals but i believe that cash card is still available

Yes the weather was warm enough. We were in shorts the whole time in the Bahamas, it was just to choppy the one day to go to Castaway Cay. But if we did we would have been in bathing suits etc and enjoying the beach. The Bahamas stays nice most of the year. We have only done the 3night 4day disney cruises. we loved them but would have loved another day.

I would love to do a longer cruise when I grow up:laugh: Especially the alaska one.

mid ship is better…less movement …we had some choppy seas…the captain said more than usual,but it never bothered me,could hardly feel it…my wife didn’t like it though

[QUOTE=MickeyEars;1034225]I’ve had tremendous success at finding the right deals at the right time and have always somehow managed to save more $$ doing it myself rather than using a travel agent when booking our WDW vacation stays.

I’m REALLY interested in doing a land/sea vacation in February (first I have to talk DH into the sea part) and was wondering what MBer’s prefer when booking a cruise:

1. Do you do book your own or do you go through an agent (I just can’t seem to give up control of my vacation reservation to someone else).

2. Are there any REALLY good deals for cruising in February? and what is the weather like on a February 3 or 4 day Disney cruise?

Thanks All![/QUOTE] feb in nassau is the coolest avg hi 72…also the driest less than 2 inches of rain

I normally book all trips myelf; however, with a cruise it seems the agent has the best deals and they give you extra perks.
I personally cannot speak about February for cruising, but we took a cruise in January a few years ago, and the ocean was very wavy. The pools were closed about 99% of the trip, the boat rocked back and forth constantly (don’t be grossed out but I have a new found appreciation for shop vacs), and the weather was very cool even in the carribean. It was a large ship, about 2,000 guests, and you felt it rock every time.

personally I would and did the 4 night…there is so much to take in …especially on your first cruise ,but that is just me…whatever you are going to be blown away and don’t be afraid to ask questions …there are some people on this site that have done it all and know quite a bit…good people also