Curious airline fares

looking ahead to next years trip,I came across curious fares,to fly from SAN to MCO one way is $124 connecting through LAX,but same flight leaving off first leg in SAN ,that is LAX to MCO is $284,looks like I will book first leg by paying cash and second leg using miles,I try never to use miles if fares are low…how about the rest of you?..AA isreally not my airline of CHOICE but the miles I have built up MUST be used and we still have enough for a couple of round trips for 3 of us when they are gone it will probably be back to SWA

No one has ever been able to figure out how fares are priced. It’s all competition based.

I remember once a trip that I was taking it was cheaper to book from point A to point C via B then get off at point B. Who knows…

the airfare price wars are on it seems. None of the special rates are what they seem on top of it. You have so many extra crappy charges after paying for your seat, you aren’t really getting a deal in the end of it. Southwest’s rate have gone up as well, but at least they still allow you to take luggage on and have a seat without charging you another $100 per person. Heck, they are even starting to charge for carry-on bags. I’d rather they make the price of the airfare higher and include everything.

Airfare is about to kill me. I can find good rates into Tampa…anybody ever fly into there and drive up to Disney? Just curious on how that was.

It’s about two hours give or take. If you were going to rent a car anyway while down there and can save significantly by flying into that airport, I say go for it.

Yep, we sure are. I’m definitely going to consider it. Saw rates for $99 ea/way…best I can get.

I honestly would go for it.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1076114]No one has ever been able to figure out how fares are priced. It’s all competition based.

I remember once a trip that I was taking it was cheaper to book from point A to point C via B then get off at point B. Who knows…[/QUOTE]

That’s when you book A to C, get off at B and just don’t get back on. We’ve done that a couple of times. I’ve also booked mom round trip and not gotten back on because it was cheaper to book round trip and drive her back than to pay 1 way. Our air fare really stinks here.

We’ve done that when we found good rates into Tampa. It’s not a bad drive at all, and I think it was actually less than 2 hrs. for us. It was definitely worth the extra hour or so of travel time for the amount we saved x5 tickets! I would definitely do it again if the price difference was significant.

You do need to make sure that you’re not checking luggage if you are going to try that, though, or your luggage will end up at point C w/o you!:ohmy:

Yes, I did this in July 2004. It was fine but we were visiting Daytona Beach also. Disney was only a one day stop that time. I guess it depends on your vacation style and how significant the savings are to fly to Tampa. I remember the drive being about 2 hours. For me, the savings would have to be really significant to waste 2 hours driving on vacation and not being in the Magic from the time you land. I’m big into being immersed in the Magic from the minute I land to the minute we go home. We don’t want to drive or see the real world.

Well for us, it is either 2 hours to Columbus, OH airport to get the SW fare that’s reasonable…so far or going into TPA. I’d prefer to fly CAK to
MCO or CLE to MCO, but right now out of CLE is around 405 r/t nonstop. Geesh!

The ride from Tampa is easy so long as are not driving during rush hour.