Cut-off age for adult supervision?

Hi everyone! I am wondering if anyone knows what age people can ride on Disney transportation, or go to the parks, or Downtown Disney without adult supervision? Thanks!!

…I don’t know that there is any official Disney rules about this. Here is an article that discusses this very question.

My DD is 25 and honestly I can’t remember back when we started letting her go off on her own. I’m pretty sure it was in “steps”…

Touring Walt Disney World Alone: Is Your Child Ready? - TouringPlans.com Blog | TouringPlans.com Blog

Thank you, that was helpful!

My daughter was 12 and was with her friend who was 13, my DBf’s son who was 15 and DBF’s nephew who was 17. I would think under the age 12 would be a little too young alone, but with older kids ok.

I don’t think a Disney bus, monorail or boat driver would allow children much younger to ride the transportation in fear that they strayed off.

Agree with Dana. Our kids were around 13/14 when we sent them off alone. By that time, they had been so many times that they knew the travel routines. Our only rule was that if they were at the parks without us that they had to stay 100 percent together.

When they got older (you’ll know the magical number because you will see that everyone in the family craves alone time and you all feel sick of togetherness!), we just told them that they were required to be home as soon as the last park closed for the night. Meaning, of course, that there were no late nights at DTD. I wasn’t completely ready for that until they were almost adults.

First time alone “in-park”, DD’s were 15, 12, & 11 but they had to stay together. We’re going in a few months when they’ll be 18, 15, & 13 and if we can shake them this will be their 1st trip alone with on-site transportation, but they will still have to stay together.

DD13 has built in radar and will keep them in the right direction. DD15 is clueless on direction but is a human clock and has a knack for staying on schedule. DD18 doesn’t have either but has those natural mother instincts of safety. All 3 would be lost without the other, but together they will get where they need to be when they need to be there in one piece (if they don’t kill each other first) :laugh:.

It all depends on the kids. In a a group a 10-11 year old will be OK with older siblings, say 13-14. In some cases even as young as 8-9. Our youngest DD had the parks and transportation memorized without looking at a map by 10. Which was good because oldest DD still to this day has all the brains one could hope for, but common senese slips by sometimes. And DS, just as smart as DD1 still lives in his own bubble.
But we would not launch them alone until they could work together as a group. The call is up to you based on the dynamics of the group. If a younger one will not listen to an older sibling all bets are off.

The first trip we allowed it was two years ago. DD was 15 and DS was 13. DW was hesitant at that point. They had to stay together. This year was the first trip we allowed either of them to be “on their own alone” at all. DS still wanted to tag along with DD most of the time anyway to her chagrin. He is pretty social and gets bored on his own. She on the other hand wants time to herself.

Mine is 11…at hotel…i let him take his brother to the arcade and pool with me not too many minutes behind. At the park, there is NO WAY. Maybe if he had a teenager who knew their way around, but not on his own.

My DD was 17 and rode it from the airport to the campground without any problem. She said the driver was entertaining.

I can remember that we allowed our 10 year old to take the little ride in the Mexican Pavillion alone - I watched her get on and I was a nervous wreck until she got off… What was going to happen to her during the ride I do not know.

Transportation - I’d say 13 minimum - but never alone. Always with someone else or in a group - and I’d also threaten dire things if anyone was “ditched”.:glare:

For my girls, 35. The same age they can start dating!

Anyone have a park map? I did some serious cleaning and tossed all of mine. I think I read that children under age 7 have to be with someone 14 or older to go on the rides. I think it was printed on a park map.

A few years ago we were with another family on Toy Story and my son wasn’t allowed to ride alone with their daughter. I want to say they were maybe 9 and 7. This wasn’t to get in line alone or go off alone, this was to ride in the same cart with us right there. They said Nate wasn’t old enough and it was in case something happened, someone older had to be with the younger child.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1129666]Anyone have a park map? I did some serious cleaning and tossed all of mine. I think I read that children under age 7 have to be with someone 14 or older to go on the rides. I think it was printed on a park map.

A few years ago we were with another family on Toy Story and my son wasn’t allowed to ride alone with their daughter. I want to say they were maybe 9 and 7. This wasn’t to get in line alone or go off alone, this was to ride in the same cart with us right there. They said Nate wasn’t old enough and it was in case something happened, someone older had to be with the younger child.[/QUOTE]

Well, Nate’s always been a handsome devil.:happy:

Which ride was it?

We kept leaving DD2 on the boats at IASW, but they kept bringing her back to the resort!

Seriously DS2 was 15 the first time we let him off on his own, DD2 was 14 when we let her and her cousin ( same age ) wander in the parks by themselves, but they both had cell phones and we made them check in after each ride. ( OK so it appears there is a legitimate use for texting! )

-H

[QUOTE=llama;1129667]Well, Nate’s always been a handsome devil.:happy:

Which ride was it?[/QUOTE]

:blush: We were riding Toy Story.

We let our son go off on his own in the park were in last summer at age 13. I’m not sure about riding a bus or staying in a park after we left but I felt he was fine alone last summer. He had a cell phone so getting in touch wasn’t a problem. If he had a sibling I wouldn’t worry nearly as much. This summer he is taking a friend so he won’t be alone when he goes off w/o us.

I don’t really have anything valuable to add to this discussion - fair warning if you’d like to skip my post. :slight_smile:

But this immediately made me flash back to when I turned 7, that magic Disney attractions age, and I could finally ride “alone”… meaning in the car behind my parents on the TTA, with them facing backwards watching me. I felt AWESOME riding solo. And then when we got inside Space Mountain, I realized I was terrified to be in the car alone by myself in the dark. … Independence fail.

I think we told the kids (twins) that they could venture off together without us when they were in 8th grade…but we couldn’t ditch them, they were afraid we would do something fun without them! :slight_smile:

The age is 7, I believe. I remember reading that somewhere and my daughter was so thrilled to turn 7 because she thought she would be allowed to go to WDW by herself. She is totally capable, but it is the rest of the crazy people I don’t trust. I will only let her and her brother ride Barnstormer by themselves… over and over and over! They feel really cool and I hate that ride!