DCA changes announced

For those MBers following the story of the big changes coming to Disney’s California Adventure, this appeared on the front page of today’s (10/18/07) Orange County Register:

"Disney’s California Adventure theme park is about to undergo a transformation. The attraction will expand by about one-fifth with a Cars Land based on the movie, an overhaul of its entry and a ride based on “The Little Mermaid,” the Walt Disney Co. announced Wednesday. The additions will reportedly cost $1.2 billion.

The construction of the Toy Story Mania! ride should be completed for opening next year.

But the biggest additions will come in 2011 or 2012. By then, a Cars Land section will open on 12 acres on the parking lot south of the park. The land, based on the animated movie, will include Radiator Springs Racers, a major ride with a slow start outside leading to an inside journey and ending with a fast race.

Crews will tear out much of the entrance to create a 1920s feel - the way Walt Disney would have seen California when he moved out from Michigan.

An indoor ride based on “The Little Mermaid” with songs and movie scenes will go where the Golden Dreams theater sits. Visitors will also see a “World of Color” show of water effects, lighting and music in the lagoon from a 9,000 person viewing area."

The article goes on to say that the project will mean jobs for up to 1,500 construction workers and an additional 1,000 park employees (guess our local paper still doesn’t grasp the idea of Cast Members :laugh: ).

So, here we go…off and running on the much needed upgrade of DCA. Sounds like this will be an awesome addition to our Disney resort here in California!

hey you!! How have you been?

Thanks for the info.

Great to see ya!

You know, if Vegas can do it, I really don’t understand why it’s taken so long for Disney to utilize the lagoon…

I am glad they’re spending some money and improving the DCA…

I have no idea how big the lagoon is, but if they’re planning on seating for 9000 people, I would have to assume some serious space is involved. The artificial lake in front of the Bellagio in Vegas covers eight acres.

If Disney has the good sense to involve the company that designed the Bellagio’s water system, the end result can’t be anything less than spectacular.