DD going to Disney without me

DD is so lucky! Her Best Friend who we took with us on our Christmas trip is going to Disney in July with her mom and invited DD to go with them. Since I will still be taking my last 2 grad school classes when they go, I can’t go, so I offered to use some of our DVC points for their trip. The only studio I could get them so that they would not have to move during their dates was OKW and SSR. They decided that they wanted to stay at OKW since there is more roomin those rooms than SSR.

How much money should I send with her for food and spending money? They aren’t doing the dining plan this trip and haven’t finalized dining plans yet. I plan on buying her an AP since she will be going again at Christmas with us, so I already know what that will cost. Just no clue really what to send for food, snacks, etc.–she has to have a mickey bar every day on vacation–she is addicted I think. :smile:

How old is DD?

We had our DD BF go with us for 10 days back in Nov. and he brought $300 for total trip. Granted he was 21 & we wound up paying for the more expensive meals, but he did just fine. He also didn’t buy any souveniers, just food/snacks. I think he actually came back with about $50 in his pocket too. :laugh:

Hope this information helps.

Did you pay for the other girl’s meals when she was with you? I can’t imagine they would ask a child for money at meals. Maybe she would need money to get her own snacks and souvenirs, but that’s all I would plan for unless you had a different arrangement with her parents.

I’m faced with a similar dilemma: I wanted to let my DS bring a friend when we go to WDW this summer, but I can’t pay for everything for him. Not that I can’t, it’s that I shouldn’t when we are making my 22 yr old and his GF pay for their own airfare and park tickets.
I would gladly pay for everything else, but DH says we can’t ask a kid to come with us and then ask his parents to pay for his tickets.

[QUOTE=ddoll;956039]Did you pay for the other girl’s meals when she was with you? I can’t imagine they would ask a child for money at meals. Maybe she would need money to get her own snacks and souvenirs, but that’s all I would plan for unless you had a different arrangement with her parents.

I’m faced with a similar dilemma: I wanted to let my DS bring a friend when we go to WDW this summer, but I can’t pay for everything for him. Not that I can’t, it’s that I shouldn’t when we are making my 22 yr old and his GF pay for their own airfare and park tickets.
I would gladly pay for everything else, but DH says we can’t ask a kid to come with us and then ask his parents to pay for his tickets.[/QUOTE]

We paid for most of the other girls meals except for the ones where she and DD went off on their own and bought things not on our DP. That said, we are in a different financial place than her family is. Her mom is a single mom and money is tighter for them. I told her that I would send enough money for DD to pay for her own meals, snacks, and spending money. Since we have used the DP for so long and to be honest, I never pay attention to what things cost because I make sure I save enough during the eyar that we can do whatever we want without having to worry about what things cost.

I don’t want to send too much more than what DD needs because she WILL spend whatever I give her. I don’t want her to spend more than her best friend because I do not want to hurt anyone’s feelings. DD’s best friend’s mom has already made a few comments on how they can’t do Disney the way we do and she hope DD won’t be disappointed. I tried to explain to her that when we first started going we took very budget minded trips and that DD will be fine. That was one of the reasons I offered them my DVC points so that they wouldn’t feel uncomfortable staying in a value with 4 of them.

[QUOTE=Live life;956008]How old is DD?

We had our DD BF go with us for 10 days back in Nov. and he brought $300 for total trip. Granted he was 21 & we wound up paying for the more expensive meals, but he did just fine. He also didn’t buy any souveniers, just food/snacks. I think he actually came back with about $50 in his pocket too. :laugh:

Hope this information helps.[/QUOTE]

My DD is 15.

Well then why not use the dollar amount of the DP per day as your guide? What is it now…$35?
Let your DD know how much she has to spend per day on meals, souvenirs, snacks, etc. 15y/o is certainly old enough to be able to budget.

[QUOTE=ddoll;956137]Well then why not use the dollar amount of the DP per day as your guide? What is it now…$35?
Let your DD know how much she has to spend per day on meals, souvenirs, snacks, etc. 15y/o is certainly old enough to be able to budget.[/QUOTE]

Great Idea!

I got to do that too! Turnwrench wasn’t very happy.

He sent $200 with me, but that was for flying (I flew by myself-food and stuff) and it was just enough to buy presents for the family and a few churros.

We had the dining plan, so I didn’t have to pay for food.