DD got accepted into Disney College Program!

I’m so excited. Kate got accepted to work in merchandising at WDW for next semester.:cool: She doesn’t know if she wants to do it :confused: She isn’t sure if her college will give her any credit and merchandising was her last choice. She really wanted to do hospitality, guest services or attractions. I told her I would impersonate her and go in her place! She has a week to decide. I hope she does it, what a great opportunity. I’m so jealours. I wish I was 19 again.:angry:

Oh yay!!! Congrats for her!!! I hope she takes it cause you never now if or when they can switch you. Hope things work out for her.

Congratulations to your daughter! I am anxious to know what her decision will be.

Congrats to her!! Regardless of the department, she will have a blast!!

Oh I hope it works out for her.
She will definitely have the time of her life if she decides to go.

Congratulations! I hope she makes the best decision & everything works out.

Congrats, that is wonderful news! :happy: DH wasn’t thrilled about merchandising when he first hired into Disney, but he ended up having a great time. I think she will have a blast regardless of the department!

maybe she could do it for the experience alone… don’t worry too much about the college credit… That sounds like fun- wish I had done it when I was at school…

Congrats, hope she does do it, I would love to.

She should SO do it. It’s DISNEY!!! It’ll be a blast!!!

I did the CP and ended up in FAST FOOD. I loved it. Worst part of the CP for me was having 5 roomates, because girls are…well. Crazy.

Encourage her to do it, because regardless of what she does, she will enjoy herself. There will be slower days where she can interact with guests and make more magic, and there will be insane days where she’s on her feet ringing up customers all the time. The experience is what you make of it, and again, barring roomates, I loved my job (mostly) and loved making people smile.

That is wonderful news… and I agree if I was 19 again I would be doing a semester in WDW.

Tell her to do it! My CP (nine years ago now, eek!) was in merchandise. It was also not my first choice, I really wanted attractions, but thought I might end up in merchandise due to my past retail experience. I had an ABSOLUTE blast. It was truly one of the best things I have ever done. I also didn’t get one iota of credit for it from my school.

Merchandise doesn’t sound as exciting as attractions or guest services but she will still have lots of time to interact with guests and make magic. Though I was stationed to work in a shop on Hollywood Blvd, I also worked outside at 2 carts in front of the Chinese theater where I got to see the parade every day. Some days I got to do parade control. And I worked Fantasmic merchandise a few times and got to enjoy the show while working several times. It was great.

There is nothing like the magic of working the CP. Some mornings I would get a kiss from Tigger on my way to open the outdoor cart. Often I’d see Minnie, Goofy and Chip and Dale backstage as they left Hollywood & Vine (I told you it was a long time ago) and I’d be grabbed for an impromtu dance with one of them on my way to the Shop. I had to chase Aladdin around the cart when he “stole” a stuffed Mickey from me. And I helped Pocohontas with her costume when her assistant was off helping someone else. I would often see Mickey and Minnie holding hands and skipping out the window of the Cast cafeteria as they made their way back to their picture spot.

All in all, it was an amazing experience and one I regret not repeating the summer after I graduated. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Congrats! She should do it! It’s an awesome experience and I have never heard complaints from anyone that did it. It’s Disney, why would there be complaints?! :laugh:

omg CONGRATULATIONS to her!!! :happy::happy::happy:

Here are a few little tidbits of info… I don’t know if they will help at all, but…

I saw a photo recently of a merchandise CM blowing bubbles for a little girl out in front of a store… the little girl was totally in heaven. That CM definitely made some magic for her that day.

On my last trip I asked every CPer that I saw how they liked the CP, since I’m thinking about doing it myself. Every one of them, from attractions to food & beverage to merchandise, enthusiastically said they LOVED it.

Good luck to her with the decision - I know it must be tough. :heart:

Good luck to your DD! I hope she ends up doing it. Sounds like a great opportunity.

This was such a sweet story! You made the most of the job!! Sounds like memories of a lifetime!:wub:

[QUOTE=KarenWDWCP;1000389]Tell her to do it! My CP (nine years ago now, eek!) was in merchandise. It was also not my first choice, I really wanted attractions, but thought I might end up in merchandise due to my past retail experience. I had an ABSOLUTE blast. It was truly one of the best things I have ever done. I also didn’t get one iota of credit for it from my school.

Merchandise doesn’t sound as exciting as attractions or guest services but she will still have lots of time to interact with guests and make magic. Though I was stationed to work in a shop on Hollywood Blvd, I also worked outside at 2 carts in front of the Chinese theater where I got to see the parade every day. Some days I got to do parade control. And I worked Fantasmic merchandise a few times and got to enjoy the show while working several times. It was great.

There is nothing like the magic of working the CP. Some mornings I would get a kiss from Tigger on my way to open the outdoor cart. Often I’d see Minnie, Goofy and Chip and Dale backstage as they left Hollywood & Vine (I told you it was a long time ago) and I’d be grabbed for an impromtu dance with one of them on my way to the Shop. I had to chase Aladdin around the cart when he “stole” a stuffed Mickey from me. And I helped Pocohontas with her costume when her assistant was off helping someone else. I would often see Mickey and Minnie holding hands and skipping out the window of the Cast cafeteria as they made their way back to their picture spot.

All in all, it was an amazing experience and one I regret not repeating the summer after I graduated. I would do it again in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

My DS returned from his CP in Aug. He loved it and can’t wait to go back.

I don’t think I understand this. How is the CP different from just walking up and applying for regular old job at WDW? You get housing… I’m sure you pay for that?.. but what?

You do pay for housing… quite a lot actually :slight_smile: You are required to live in that housing as well, its not an option. CP is basically an ‘internship’ which allows you to leave your college for a semester while still remaining enrolled there. Also, as a CP you have the opportunity to take classes taught by Disney employed teachers which some colleges will accept for credit. I took two classes during my CP, both of which were very interesting, but neither of which my college gave me credit for. It totally depends on you school and your major. My major was Biochemistry, so I got nothin! My good friend was an HR Management major and was actually able to get 12 credits out of her CP which was like not missing a semester at all!

our main problem is insurance. She needs to be a full time student to be under my insurance and she really needs that because she has a chronic illness and takes lots of expensive medication.