DDE/Tables in Wonderland

It’s time to renew my DDE/TIW card. Expires 30 Jun. I went to the Passholder site since I have an AP and it looks like there is no renewal anymore. Kinda like you have to get a new card each year?? Is this true?? Price went up to $ 75 too. Used to be $ 50 a few years ago. Or am I reading this incorrectly.
Thanks for information.
Frank

[QUOTE=fjs08;956763]It’s time to renew my DDE/TIW card. Expires 30 Jun. I went to the Passholder site since I have an AP and it looks like there is no renewal anymore. Kinda like you have to get a new card each year?? Is this true?? Price went up to $ 75 too. Used to be $ 50 a few years ago. Or am I reading this incorrectly.
Thanks for information.
Frank[/QUOTE]

I do remember the price going up, but I don’t remember how much. To me, it is still a great deal if you use it!

Glad I read this thread, I have to renew mine!

We bought this when it was called the Disiney Dining Experience Card (I think we paid $60 two years ago), we never really used it. Does it actually come in handy if you have the DDP? We are buying AP’s again for this trip, is this worth it? I would love to hear others experiences.

You cannot use it on the food you are buying with the DDP. You can use it for anything extra including “drinks”!!

We don’t do the DDP and we go often, so it works well for us!

We’ve had it for about 4 years. We don’t get a dining plan, and we eat a lot at the Disney restaurants so it’s been helpful. It was really helpful in years past, but Disney keeps increasing the price and also allows the restaurants to add an 18 % gratuity. Still a good deal if you "eat enough<g> and go to the right restaurants. It’s not usable at some of the places in Epcot, walk up restaurants and the Dolphin and Swan restaurants. Still, a nice card to have. As mentioned, I don’t think it’s usable with another Plan.

Frank

The TiW card is now $75 to Annual Passholders. It’s $50 for an additional ‘spouse’ card. As far as I know there is no renewal, you just get a new card. I think you have to get it at Guest Services in a park. We got ours at Guest Services at the front of Epcot…only took about five minutes.

This is info from another site:
Call the office at (407) 566-5858, Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern, or email wdw.disney.dining.experience@disney.com

Warning: It is no longer a plastic credit card type card.
The new TIW card is a paper item similar to park tickets/event tickets/annual passes. But unlike APs, if you lose it, you will have to pay to replace it.
As to renewing versus new membership, keep in mind that when you renew your AP, you are issued a new card for when the current one expires.

Save some months and renew it when you get to the park. If your next trip is not for some time it will extend its life for another future trip. We do that with our AP’s also.

>>Save some months and renew it when you get to the park. If your next trip is not for some time it will extend its life for another future trip. We do that with our AP’s also. <<

That does make sense.

Frank

We bought ours at Guest Relations at DHS for $60 in March ‘08 and was able to use it for 4 trips and between our card and my DSis’ we were able to cover our entire traveling parties on all 4 of our trips March 08-March 09. Saved tons of $$ and we’d do it again for $75 if we had several trips planned in a year. We never purchase the “spouse” card because we always travel/dine together and don’t see the benefit of it.

This is a very excellent point. Why spend the extra $50 if you don’t need to.
And remember, your valet parking is covered with the TIW membership as well.

First, do not get the card if you use DDP.

We get it every year and make the cost back right away. We used it on a trip with 4 other friends at CG and saved $73 on the meal.

The 18% doesn’t bother me as I usually tip 20% with tax so %18 is saving us $$.

If you eat on property and don’t have DDP it is worth it. Because it is a % the more you spend the more you save. We very rarely eat counter service even for lunch and eat most of our meals at the various resorts. For us it works.

[QUOTE=Spectro is #1;957394]First, do not get the card if you use DDP.

We get it every year and make the cost back right away. We used it on a trip with 4 other friends at CG and saved $73 on the meal.

The 18% doesn’t bother me as I usually tip 20% with tax so %18 is saving us $$.

If you eat on property and don’t have DDP it is worth it. Because it is a % the more you spend the more you save. We very rarely eat counter service even for lunch and eat most of our meals at the various resorts. For us it works.[/QUOTE]

I guess I have a couple of questions…

We always get the dining plan, we hate counter service meals, but ususally we will do them for lunch, we do find ourselves doing a lot of Character meals, mostly the breakfasts, so they most always come out of pocket. Wouldn’t we benefit from getting the TIW because it would save us some $ right off the bat, right?

Also, when you discussed the 18% gratuity, I too, tip 20%, so am I to understand if you use the TIW card they automatically add in the 18% gratuity? For us we would save in that aspect as well!

>>Also, when you discussed the 18% gratuity, I too, tip 20%, so am I to understand if you use the TIW card they automatically add in the 18% gratuity?<<

They DO add in the 18% but the DON’T tell you. It’s there, but you have to look for it.

Frank

I had the card for a year. I agree that you can get your money back if you eat lots and at the right places.

But IMHO it is not as good a deal as it used to be. It used to be $50 and without an automatic 18% gratuity. I always tip based on service level, so I really don’t like the “automatically add a tip” part of the deal.

And as important for some people, that 20% is on alcohol as well as food, unlike the dining plans where youhave to pay for your aloholic drinks out of pocket.

Good point Soundgod,
If fact we used it a the bar (Crew Cup) waiting for our table at Yachtsman’s one year.

The bottom line:
If you know you are going to spend over $375 in 12 months on WDW Dining, than it is worth the price.

>>It used to be $50 and without an automatic 18% gratuity. I always tip based on service level, so I really don’t like the “automatically add a tip” part of the deal.<<

I agree. I think a gratuity should be based on service, not a service charge “imposed” by management.

Frank