DDP and Medical exceptions

Hi all! I just wanted to post something on here due to an experience I had earlier today. Sorry for the lengthy explanation in advance!!!

My mom is joining us for our October trip and she is a gastric bypass patient. I had inquired earlier this year about the fact that she could no longer eat the amount of food that the dining plan offers, but when I was told they no longer make exceptions, I dropped the conversation! However, my mother was recently diagnosed with Crones disease as well. She has been violently ill over the past couple of weeks and has been receiving daily medical treatment and even a brief hospitalization. She was concerned, because she definately will not be able to eat all of the food that is offered through the dining plan. I have considered taking her off of the reservation since she is actually staying with her friend (in our friends) two bedroom at AKL, but I really don’t want to diceive anyone. If I take her off of the reservation she will be unable to take Magic Express as well. This just sparks tons of issues. Therefore, I decided to see what Disney would do if the Doctors gave her medical notes regarding the two issues staing that she could not tolerate all of the food.

So I called DVC and spoke to them about the situation. I spoke with one CM (Walter) and he said he couldn’t help me that I needed to contact 1-407-WDW-DINE. So I did! I then spoke with a Bogart, and he was so sweet! He said that he could not help me at all due to the fact that we are coming on a DVC reservation but although they no longer do even the reduced meal plan (child’s price) Disney is always making exceptions so he was sure they could try to work something out of us! He suggested I call DVC back and ask to speak with a Supervisor. If that didn’t help then he suggested I call Guest Relations and see what could be done through there. He also “illuded” to the fact that he has heard of guests telling the CM’s at Check in at the resorts and they have been known to waive the DDP for one guest! So there I was, off to call DVC again! Of course, I get another CM that says she can’t make the exception, and that Disney no longer does this! When I asked her what I should do, would you believe she suggested I book my mother a separate reservation in a studio so she did not have to take the DDP! I told her that was rediculous, that would end up costing more than the $280 for the DDP, she suggested that I use points! Are you kidding me, waste my points on this! I was so angry at her response I asked to speak with her supervisor (of course she gave me a hard time about it), and when I finally spoke to her supervisor the woman told me that under no circumstances will they make exceptions.

I have to say, I am quite peeved about this. It is not like the rest of us do not want the DDP, they will be getting $1450+ from our two parties for food. It just seems rediculous when she has medical documentation available, that they cannot make the exception. The fact that they even suggested I get another room demonstrated that the money meant more than meeting the needs of a guest. Granted, I realize that Disney does lose money here, and they are in business to make money but come on!

The supervisor also suggested that I try to speak to the CM’s at check in and maybe they could make that exception. Is this something anyone else has done?

I appreciate the forum to vent, but I also want to know if anyone has ever asked for such an exception at check in?

I had the same problem in Dec when I took my mom on my DVC points.
I was advised to have her on the room only reservation. Buy our tickets seperate and she doesnt have to have the DDP.
It worked for us. She was on the room but just didnt have a card.

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;990006]I had the same problem in Dec when I took my mom on my DVC points.
I was advised to have her on the room only reservation. Buy our tickets seperate and she doesnt have to have the DDP.
It worked for us. She was on the room but just didnt have a card.[/QUOTE]

Who advised you of this? We bought her tickets through Undercover Tourist already. I am confused! I hate that this has to be sooo complicated!