DDP Down grade?

I am thinking about not doing the 1 Table service and doing either the counter service plan or no plan and just pay as we go and do a few table and counter service as we go oop. I have my ADR’s booked but I will cancel what we don’t want. I would like to not be tied to an eating schedule and not have worry about being somewhere at a certain time. It isn’t the cost, as you spend about the same, at least we do.

My question is, have you ever decided not to do a plan or did just the counter service plan? Were you happy you did or regretful ?

Thanks!

Very few times have I ever regretted not being on DDP, for the same reasons you listed- being locked into a food schedule. But that is one option that I “choose” not to have since the resort we mostly stay at does not acknowledge it. If I went during Free Dining, or if it were still the way it used to be with apps/tips included then I may feel different.
We’d gotten the counter service plan during our last split stay and like you mentioned, it about costs the same as OOP except we got a mug. Seriously though, how many mugs do one need before they start to take over:blush:

Almost every trip I waver back and forth about dining plans. I do all kinds of math and such. But we always pay as we go. We stay at a dvc so we almost always do breakfast (bacon and eggs sort of thing, not just a poptart) in the room. And since we do at least two trips during a year, we use TIW. We like not having to worry about getting someplace at a certain time all the time. We find having a TS for about half the days work best for us.

But it’s just my DH and I, if I had several kids that were under 10, the dining plan would look real good. It would kill me to pay the prices at character meals for three chicken nuggets and two spoons of mac and cheese. LOL

Have done Quick, Regular and Deluxe. Quick is good food and you about break even. Regular is not a bad deal, you will make a little off it but be tied to meals. Not always bad, sometime you need a break and time to regroup. Deluxe is great but , we use it to do signature meals that take two credits. These can be a great experiance but if out of pocket, cost too much! I dont know anyone who can eat that much food if your doing 3 meals a day. If you plan on mainly eating Quick serve and maybe a sit down a couple of times you may want to still do the regular dining. For the cost between quick serve and the one sit down plan, you will still make out well with only doing the sit down a couple of times and quick the rest. I would say less than if you go on your own. Good Luck

We have done both. Now that most trips are just DW and me we find that it is easier to just ‘wing it’. We wake up, decise what park we want to do, and call dining and set up an ADR that morning. With kids this might have been a problem, but they were not sit down fans anyway until their late teen.

Our trip next week is and Adults Only Foodie trip so we have ADR’s for each night. Very little park time this trip. It all depends on what you want to do on your vacation.

I have always done the 1cs 1 ts plan. Now that my kids 12 and 10 are both considered adults,the plan i less attractive especially since they seem to not care for the adult menu. I miss the old plan with appitizer and tip. That was a no brainer!! The CS only plan and freedom seems attractive though.

That’s what happened to us. The regular plan was an okay deal while our son was a ‘child’ but once he became an "adult’ it wasn’t a deal at all. I was never interested in getting the most bang for our buck on the dining plan and I sometimes felt like I had to pick the more expensive meals so we would get ahead and it wasn’t always what I really wanted.

We are happier winging it these days. We eat what we want when we want it and everyone is happy.

The very first time we went to WDW we didn’t get the DDP and really wished we had!
We spent a lot of money on food, and I hadn’t planned on it at all. I can tell you, when you are paying for in it in the moment, you don’t really eat as much. We never had desserts, or appitizers.
I would get it, especially if you know you like to have good meals.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1019739]That’s what happened to us. The regular plan was an okay deal while our son was a ‘child’ but once he became an "adult’ it wasn’t a deal at all. I was never interested in getting the most bang for our buck on the dining plan and I sometimes felt like I had to pick the more expensive meals so we would get ahead and it wasn’t always what I really wanted.

We are happier winging it these days. We eat what we want when we want it and everyone is happy.[/QUOTE]

I remember you saying that before and that is what got me thinking about how much less stress it would be. Many times we ate when we weren’t hungry or ran from a park to make it to a ressie. Everyone being able to walk up when they are hungry will be a nice change. You really are a good “Disney Teacher”:laugh::pinch:

:laugh: It works for us and really makes our trips less stressful.

I am so much happier paying for the food we want when we want it. We eat out a lot at home and we always go where we want and order what we want and I like to vacation that way as well. I always thought we were big eaters but the dining plan was a lot of food for us. Maybe it’s that our trips are usually 8 or more days, we are just so done with all the big meals by the end of our trip.

All that said, we are thinking about adding the CS dining plan for the first two nights of our trip this summer. We have two nights booked at BLT and no real dining plans for those days so it seems like a good idea. If we had our whole trip booked in one reservation I wouldn’t do it but for two nights it may be a good idea.

I am doing a split stay this trip too so I thought about that too.

Too bad you can’t save your credits and spread them out through your while trip.

We’ll each have 4 CS credits and 4 snack credits to use over 3 days. It will easy to use those but we won’t really save a lot of money, basically we’ll get the mugs for free when it’s all said and done.

We did the dining plan once out of three trips and it was just TOO much food. We just don’t eat that much. This past Sept. we really only ate one big meal a day. We stayed in the DVC resort so we had a kitchen so we ate some meals in the room.

I also have a problem with making the ADR’s. I always read the TR’s and maybe someday I’ll get the courage that so many of you have to try and figure out way ahead of time where we want to eat.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1019766]Too bad you can’t save your credits and spread them out through your while trip.

We’ll each have 4 CS credits and 4 snack credits to use over 3 days. It will easy to use those but we won’t really save a lot of money, basically we’ll get the mugs for free when it’s all said and done.[/QUOTE]

My daughter’s 13th birthday is on our second day so I will do a sit down for that. As far as the mugs.,for the second half of our stay can we …never mind…I won’t even go there:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

[QUOTE=evansfmly5;1019767]We did the dining plan once out of three trips and it was just TOO much food. We just don’t eat that much. This past Sept. we really only ate one big meal a day. We stayed in the DVC resort so we had a kitchen so we ate some meals in the room.

I also have a problem with making the ADR’s. I always read the TR’s and maybe someday I’ll get the courage that so many of you have to try and figure out way ahead of time where we want to eat.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the amount of food, it’s a lot. We don’t usually order dessert when we got out to eat let along EVERY meal for a week. I’m so done with food after 4-5 days.

We don’t mind having one ADR every day but we can’t do more than that w/o feeling like all we’re getting done is eating.

GASP! Just like we wouldn’t use our mugs after we move from BLT to BCV.

I’m a foodie, big time. My whole family eats pretty good at meals, I never have to worry about feeling like I payed too much whether it be Chili’s or McD’s. So the DDP doesn’t give us ‘too much’ food usually. What’s ok to hang out with us in the parks, hangs out in my backpack or if we’re at the hotel the dessert comes back with me. These kids (and adults) can pack it away!

That being said I am only on year 2 of the DDP, my oldest is 9 and on year 5 of the DDP. In the past my fil, mil, and dh etc have taken her, then my son when he turned 5, then in 08 we all went. They did the TS DDP the past 5 yrs and loved every minute of it. The character meals and ADR’s alone made it worth the $$ to Fil. (Considering there were 9 of us at Tutto Italia last time and the bill was at a grand total of about $250 for 9 of us, and we were on TS DDP and it came out to the tip alone. YAY!)

BUT now that Disney is offering a CS version, fil wants to try that. I’m glad, I hated being tied down to my ADR’s and not being able to let the kids ride a ride since we ‘might be late’. We’re going to see how this goes this year and go from there. I have no doubt the dining plan will work in our favor as it always has whether it’s a few dollars each day it saves to a heck of a lot. Even if each person saves $4, that’s $4 x’s 4 people for 4 days, plus mug. Any savings is a good savings imo.

Now that I wrote a book, I’d just go through some menu’s on AllEars and get an idea of what it’d cost each day approx then see if it balances out. If you’re more drawn to CS meals, then there’s your answer hopefully. That’s what I did, and it tends to be more in my favor to do the CS DDP.

We may be the only ones but we like the DP. we are always ready for a break by 7:00 to keep us going through EMH! We always order what we want to eat and don’t worry about getting the most expensive thing on the menu to maximise our profit! Although it is nice to be able to order that steak once or twice during the trip! Actually the DDP allows us the option to order what we want, if I paid oop, I would be telling DS to go with the pasta LOL. I check the prices each year and add up the cost for the 8 dinners based on what I think each of us would order and we still end up saving abot $125, -200. and that savings pays for breakfast for the 3 of us for 8 days with some left over for water!!:laugh: