DDP, is it still worth it?

Trying to decide if we should purchase the DDP this coming trip. Since they removed the appetizer and graduity from the $37.99 plan, is the plan still a good deal? We would have to spend $152 per day, as there are four in our party.

We usually stay in a 2bdrm, so we have a kitchen to prepare our meals and usually we prepare our meals.

Also,

How many restaurants does Disny have that are of a buffet style?

How much does a buffet meal cost per adult?

Where are they located?

What is your opinion of the food?

Under the DDP do they take one or two credits?

Thanks!

If you plan on eating alot of prepared meals. Then it might not be such a good idea for you to be on the DDP Plan. If you are planning on one sit down a night. It would still be worth it for you. There are lots of Buffet Restaurants. Here is the list.
Walt Disney World Dining Menus Information
Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

The biggest decision for us (all adults mind you…)about getting DDP or not is if you want to do alot of table service meals. For each night of your stay you get 1 snack, 1 counter service meal, and 1 table service meal. Many people don’t like stopping for a sitdown meal.

As far as the value…I’m just going with getting my $38 per day out of the plan. Most CS meals can cost $10-12 with the drink, meal, dessert. Even if you don’t want the dessert you’re still looking at $8+. Snacks are anything under $4. So already you’ve made a good dent in the $38. Now don’t get me wrong before the changes you’ve had a better deal with the meal plan but even with the changes you’ll at least get back what you’ve spent…

Another thing to consider is if you have kids who now qualify as adults on the plan but don’t eat like adults. Then you won’t be getting as much bang for your buck.

The DDP plan is still a good deal. You are going to spend more than $38 a person in WDW on food in a given day. I also like having that part paid for in full and having one less thing to worry about paying for while there.

There are many buffet to choose from…to many to list. I suggest you go to allears.net nad look at the menus on there to see what appeals to you.

If you dont want to sit down every night, plan on several signature meals or character dinner shows - these take 2 TS credits. The Castle (as we call it, or CRT) is a must with my family, and many people love the Hoop De Doo or Mickeys BBQ. With cooking in your unit on those nights you dont have TS credits, you are getting the best of both worlds!
Narcoosees for adults is 2 TS and is absolutely one of the best meals I have eaten anywhere! and the view is wonderful. Just to consider…

[QUOTE=Dana;864631]The DDP plan is still a good deal. You are going to spend more than $38 a person in WDW on food in a given day. I also like having that part paid for in full and having one less thing to worry about paying for while there.

There are many buffet to choose from…to many to list. I suggest you go to allears.net nad look at the menus on there to see what appeals to you.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Dana! I love the fact that it is all paid for in advance and I don’t have to worry about that portion of our trip! Basically all we need money for are souveniers and THAT I can budget nicely for. For our family of 5 it is a good savings for us to use DDP.

You can definitely still get your money’s worth out of the DDP, even without the appetizer and gratuity.

Everyone has answered your question thoroughly, so what I have to say probably sounds like reiteration. :blush: If your family isn’t willing to stop for sit-down meals, you won’t get your money’s worth…but that one sit-down meal a day is definitely a great time to recharge your batteries and refuel for the next stage of the day.

Personally, I completely agree with Dana…I think the best part about DDP is not having to worry about paying for your food once you’re there. I am a big stresser about money - yes, even when (maybe especially when!) I’m on vacation. Having the meals paid for and out of the way would take such a load off of my mind.

Take a look at those menus on AllEars and decide whether or not there are restaurant choices that would suit your family, and whether or not they would fit comfortably into your touring schedule. :smile:

We used the DDP for the first time in June for a family of four-2 kids and 2 adults. Our grand total for the DDP was $864 and when we talled up our receipts for the counter services and table services alone we were at $1300.00- that did not include all the snacks that we had!!! We also liked having our meals paid for in advance!!

[QUOTE=wdw&tk;864611]Trying to decide if we should purchase the DDP this coming trip. Since they removed the appetizer and graduity from the $37.99 plan, is the plan still a good deal? We would have to spend $152 per day, as there are four in our party.

We usually stay in a 2bdrm, so we have a kitchen to prepare our meals and usually we prepare our meals.

Also,

How many restaurants does Disny have that are of a buffet style?

How much does a buffet meal cost per adult?

Where are they located?

What is your opinion of the food?

Under the DDP do they take one or two credits?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

We’ve been up and down on your main question since last year when the current version of the dining plan was unveiled. The math still works out in the guest’s favor, as long as you do your homework and maximize your use of it. Many posters here still insist that the current dining plan is “too much food”. An average sit down meal will cost you about $30 with tax. An average counter meal will cost about $12 with dessert. A $2 bottle of water is a minimum snack. So, we’re already up to $44 versus $38.
The buffets are all single credit, as are most of the restaurants that participate.
For info on menus and locations use these links:

Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

Magic Your Way Dining Plan - 2008 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages

I also agree with Dana…I love the fact that everything is paid for but the gifts you want to bring home. Do your research on allears and see what menu you like the best. We just came home from WDW and did the DDP and added everything up and finished ahead.

Most definitely try to get reservations at Le Cellier…best steak I ever ate. I can’t beleive it was only 1 table service. Also 'Ohana and Tappen Edo are fabulous compared to Hollywood and Vine. Also… if you have a reservation at Crystal Palace (great breakfast) before the park opens you can be in line to ride your favorite attraction first.

I also thought that having reservations let us center ourself again.

I don’t think I would have made ADR’s if I didn’t use the DDP therefore I would have missed out on some fabulous resturants.

We didn’t have a full kitchen but did splerge on concerige where we ate breakfast every morning. I cook every day of my life so I wanted a vacation just from cooking. LET DISNEY COOK!

Hi everybody!

Thank you very much for all your great comments and suggestions. I greatly appreciate your time and I will look into the sites, to see about the resataurants that are available.

Thanks again,

TK

[QUOTE=wdw&tk;865289]Hi everybody!

Thank you very much for all your great comments and suggestions. I greatly appreciate your time and I will look into the sites, to see about the resataurants that are available.

Thanks again,

TK[/QUOTE]

Anything for someone from Toronto, my favorite “foreign” city.

I agree it really is a load of your mind not having to worry about paying for your meals each day.

I’m not so sure about “worth it”… I don’t like having to “maximize” my dining… I worry enough about every penny in real life.

However… for vacation… it’s close enough, and I love the convenience factor.

I do notice that as I track the changes in the menus, however, I’m not so sure I want to order as mandated by the dining plan. There are several places where I think I’d much rather order an appetizer or two for my meal than the actual meal choices.

You just have to do your homework. You’ve been given great links!

If you due the Fantasmic package at DHS. ie Mama Melrose 1 table credit you get an appetizer, entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage.If paid OP it would cost 32$

Thank you Soundgod, but don’t you know that Toronto is not a “foreign” City, it’s in Canada the 51’s state of United States :laugh::laugh::laugh:

My thoughts, exactly. :wub:

But our opinion doesnt count for much, as you can see, we only go for FREE DINING.:blush: We love the DDP!:laugh:

It depends. I guess it depends on where you want to eat & how much you want to spend on a tip. You might want to look at this site.

MousePlanet.com

[QUOTE=cowanfamily;867667]My thoughts, exactly. :wub:

But our opinion doesnt count for much, as you can see, we only go for FREE DINING.:blush: We love the DDP!:laugh:[/QUOTE]

I also agree with this. and there are some really great meal to be had at DW.

I think you are still farther ahead with the Dining Plan, even if you break even. You will not come out under. Sure you have a kitchen, but are you really going to leave the parks and cook a meal, then go back? The price of groceries will have to be added in too. Yea, you can do breakfast in your room, but you still have lunch and dinner - the dining plan.