DDP vs. Cash - Let's do the math

I couldn’t find a thread specifically on this conversation, but Fairy Granmama got me started on the topic. Purchasing an AP and then TiW does not seem fiscally sound for us.

So I looked at the Citricos menu.
Cash:
Appetizer - $14
Salad - $ 9
Entree - $40
Dessert - $ 9
Wine - [U]$30[/U]
Cost $102

This is a two table credit dinner. This assumes a TC = $21 of the $46 cost ($10 breakfast;$15 lunch;$21 dinner)

Appetizer $14
Salad $ 9
Wine [U]$30[/U]
Cost(oop) $53
Plus the DDP $42 = a cost of $95

Am I overlooking something or does this look correct to you guys?

If you are using the standard Disney Dining Plan it would be
Entree - $40
Dessert - $9
Total - $49 for DDP ($49 - $42) saves you 7 dollars

Wine - $30
Appetizer - $14
Salad - $9
Total - $53 cash from you

[QUOTE=ladym;1062524]If you are using the standard Disney Dining Plan it would be
Entree - $40
Dessert - $9
Total - $49 for DDP ($49 - $42) saves you 7 dollars

Wine - $30
Appetizer - $14
Salad - $9
Total - $53 cash from you[/QUOTE]

So we are saying the same thing - after the out of pocket (oop), it saves me $7 (or $14 for DW and I). Yes?

doesn’t it save you even more because for that price you still get a counter service and a snack?

No, because I am only applying $21 of the $46 cost in my math (not the whole DDP/per day cost).

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1062521]I couldn’t find a thread specifically on this conversation, but Fairy Granmama got me started on the topic. Purchasing an AP and then TiW does not seem fiscally sound for us.

So I looked at the Citricos menu.
Cash:
Appetizer - $14
Salad - $ 9
Entree - $40
Dessert - $ 9
Wine - $30
Cost $102

This is a two table credit dinner. This assumes a TC = $21 of the $46 cost ($10 breakfast;$15 lunch;$21 dinner)

Appetizer $14
Salad $ 9
Wine $30
Cost(oop) $53
Plus the DDP $42 = a cost of $95

Am I overlooking something or does this look correct to you guys?[/QUOTE]

My math has always been that your daily snack is at least $2.50, your counter meal should be about $14, which means your sit down must be at least $30.50 to break even. Worse still, this means that your two credit meal absolutely MUST be more than $61 in order to break even. One of the reasons the deluxe plan is better is that it includes appetizers, which can add as much as $18 to your bill. With the deluxe plan it would break down to $20 for breakfast and $52 for a two credit dinner, which is easy when you add in pricey appetizers. If you were to try and do three meals, it would be $20/$25/$30 to break even.

Just don’t forget that 20% discount on alcoholic beverages with the TIW card though. If you are a family that likes to “imbibe”, it could be in your best interests to get a TIW card even if you are on a dining plan.

One other thing, the wine you’re adding to the meal, is that the wine add on to the dining plan or did you forget about that option too?

Wait a minute! A salad and an appetizer and an entree and dessert?
Really?!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1062534]Wait a minute! A salad and an appetizer and an entree and dessert?
Really?![/QUOTE]

Trying to work things out at their maximum. You’re right - I can skip the salad.

The TiW option doesn’t apply to me unless I buy an AP (for $400). That does not fit in w/our long range plan (big 2013 family trip).

I am trying to figure in the wine plan. $40/night = $200. This might be an option depending on the vintage. “Bubba’s Apple Vinegar wine” won’t cut it.

I’ll tell you what Boss, if we can figure out how to show you’ve established residence in Florida, you can get a TIW card that way as well. I think you know what I’m suggesting here.

Make sure you check out Soundgod’s math and then redo your dinner math.

You were thinking 21 bucks for a TS is the portion of the dining plan. With adding more for a breakfast and lunch. The regular dining plan only has ONE cs and a snack.

How many people are traveling? Do you already have tickets? Your AP with the DVC discount would be 400, but weren’t you having to spend something for your tickets? If so, wouldn’t the math be 400 (ap) minus cost of 7 day hopper (or whatever days) = a hundred bucks or so???

so that is 100 bucks (extra amount for ap) + 75 (TIW) = 175

you would need to spend 875 in TS meals to break even. If a whole flock of you are going, that could be reach easy. Two people …well, a lot of drinks add up too.:whistling

I’m going to muddy things up a little more.
I just got an e-mail from Disney announcing that the theme park merchandise discount has been extended to the end of the year.
When we were up at the beginning of December, they were giving 20% discounts on virtually all merchandise in every shop inside the parks as well as many of the shops in DTD.
So, if you consider how much you’ll be spending on stuff, a 20% across the board discount with an AP could save you plenty, and it does add up fast.
Now, the e-mail said 2011 benefits, but when I went to the passholder site following the link, I was shown 2010 benefits, not 2011 and it did not reflect this discount.
The good news for Boss is that he won’t be in Orlando until October, so he’s got time to work all this out.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1062557]
The good news for Boss is that he won’t be in Orlando until October, so he’s got time to work all this out.[/QUOTE]

The rest of us might need that much time too. :laugh:

Am I the only one with a headache after reading that? :huh:

Akershus was 43.99 a plate last month when we at there and that was with not appetizer either. So the price can be a lot high than 21 for a meal if you do the math. We where not on the dining plan either the one meal was 275 for 6 of us to eat and two of the six was on the child price list.

ummmm…no!!!:laugh:

You people are sick! :laugh:

Sooooo… :cool:

Since we are using the DDP, what are the best snack options to get the biggest bang for your plan? Average cost? (Thought I’d throw in some tabulating for the math wiz)

…and, are places that offer snack options open during EMH???
(We might need an extra boost of energy around 1am!)

Boss,

You muddied the waters from the start. You went from DDP to TiW, not OOP cash. And the TiW break factor only comes into play if the AP saves you park admit $$$ otherwise you would not buy an AP.
Since we do not get the free DDP in DVC the TiW card is a savings for us since we do at least couple of high end meals and lots of drinks in the resort every trip.

The only thing to do when debating the TiW card is are you going to have at least $375.00 of TS meals and drinks suring your stay. If so then get it if you have an AP, or a really good friend with FL access.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1062619]Boss,

If so then get it if you have an AP, or a really good friend with FL access.[/QUOTE]

SoundGod, do you have a TIW card??? If so, couldn’t you just plan to eat with boss’ family for every TS??? After all what are friends for???

All I can say is I still saw a savings and, “A penny saved is a penny earned.”

Just to muddy the waters more…DVC member discounts on dining at SOME places.

:eek: I think my brain just exploded. :eek: