Decorations Disappointment

Went to Magic Kingdom this past Sat. July 3rd and was EXTREMELY disappointed to see virtually NO Independence Day decorations!!..what’s up with THAT!!! There was not ONE decoration in LIBERTY SQUARE of all places that would lend to Independence Day celebration!! There were a few red, white and blue buntings on Main Street…but virtually NOTHING that would even have you to think it was Independence Day weekend! In today’s atmostphere of “tolerance and inclusiveness”…I want to say me and my family were “offended”!! Get with it Disney and stop being ashamed to be an American Company!!

Hmmm… it does seem that they missed a rather obvious decorative opportunity, but I’m not so quick to judge the reasons why.

For what it’s worth, Main Street at Disneyland last week had red white and blue bunting hanging from every available surface.

And the Electrical Parade does have as its huge finale the “To Honor America” float, about a zillion feet of flag.

I think Disney is as American as APPLE PIE!! :wub:

I’m sorry the decorations were underwhelming, but I’m sure the firework spectacular made up for it. :heart:

I only hung a small flag on my door and put my Red, White & Blue Mickey Antenna Topper on my car - but my heart was bursting with “I’m proud to be an American!”

yes,my dlr trip this weekend now that you mentioned it,wasn’t over the top either…yes the fireworks were themed for the fourth,but nothing more than that and I don’t recall seeing anything at DCA…

interesting observation…so the red, white and blue buntings and the fireworks didn’t do it for you? what else is there to do??? oh well, can’t please them all.

Disney does a lot of things for the USA ,especially after 9/11,but I believe that nina turk might be on to something here…I was at DLR…during this weekend and maybe I missed it but I don’t belive I saw much of anything considering the magic kingdom is built around main street USA…I don’t think it was about pleasing people, I think especially in these particular times when there is so much divisiveness,that we come together as a people on the fourth…

Sounds like more decorations would’ve been nice…but in general, I think Disney is still a very all-American company. Think of all the “American as apple pie” installations at WDW - all of Main Street (including music, Casey’s Corner, etc.), all of Liberty Square, all of Frontierland, all of Hollywood Studios (more of a celebration of American filmmaking), the America pavilion in the dead center at Epcot, with all its patriotic music and its show…just to name a few.

I’m a proud American also, but I don’t think there’s much to worry about here.

Wow this is a real real real sore subject for me and if I affend anyone I applogize up front. I feel so sorry for the people who went to WDW and did not get to see a MAGICAL Street of Red white and Blue. One month ago we had to say good-bye , be careful, be safe and may GOD watch over you as we sent a young man who is like a son to us to Iraq… We are now flying an American flag have yellow ribbons on our trees and pray for his and other young soldiers safe trip home. If you did not get what you would hope for while at WDW look at your own doings and see how much decorating you did. The true meaning of the 4th of July is to celabrate our freedom and indepedence… In todays world I do not see it that way. There are people out there who want to take it away from us and if you think a red white and blue banner would give you a warm feeling then lets all send our troops red white and blue banners. While we enjoy WDW.

Like I said at the begining I APPOLOGIZE if I went a little far or hurt someones feelings…

The MK has a flag ceremony everyday (next time you are there ask when it). They also run a show a number of times a day at Hall of Presidents that celebrates our country and our independence. There is also a show at EPCOT called the American Experience as well as revolutionary war era drum and fife core that preforms a few times a day out front of the AE (they carry the flag and play a number of patriotic songs).

Disney also has done a lot incapsulate the American spirt in the MK (from Main St to Frontierland and beyond) introducing people from around the world to touch stones of our culture of independence. The real thing to be ashamed of is how outside the park we as Americans have lost touch to many of those same touch stones.

[QUOTE=brit;1039408]Wow this is a real real real sore subject for me and if I affend anyone I applogize up front. I feel so sorry for the people who went to WDW and did not get to see a MAGICAL Street of Red white and Blue. One month ago we had to say good-bye , be careful, be safe and may GOD watch over you as we sent a young man who is like a son to us to Iraq… We are now flying an American flag have yellow ribbons on our trees and pray for his and other young soldiers safe trip home. If you did not get what you would hope for while at WDW look at your own doings and see how much decorating you did. The true meaning of the 4th of July is to celabrate our freedom and indepedence… In todays world I do not see it that way. There are people out there who want to take it away from us and if you think a red white and blue banner would give you a warm feeling then lets all send our troops red white and blue banners. While we enjoy WDW.

Like I said at the begining I APPOLOGIZE if I went a little far or hurt someones feelings…[/QUOTE]

No I agree…and actually I just had a long conversation with my husband the other day about how sad it is that so many Americans will be quick to fly a flag or put a “support our troops” magnet on their car, but so few of them actually SEND support (in care packages, letters, etc.) TO the troops. So many of us will send our support if it requires no sacrifice or effort on our part. We decided to make that a family project this year and involve the kids. They need to know that freedom is not free and I feel like that might help them to realize the sacrifice and not live so much in the typical American bubble if they wrote to an American soldier or sent them things that they take for granted every day.

I just think that Disney typically DOES do a good job of supporting our nation and being all-American, while still acknowledging the importance and contributions of other cultures. It’s the best melting pot I know of in the whole country.

And I’m not trying to start a political debate here, for the record…not debating pro-war or anti-war…just saying my thoughts about what it means to support the troops if you say you do. :slight_smile:

I would like to really get involved in this discussion,but my opinions would really start a firestorm ,but I will just say this …showing american pride has nothing to do with the troops it has to with celebrating the birthday of this great country ,and I do believe disney does a great job of supporting troops and their families,the comment originally had to do with disney celebrating in form of decorations and activities I can only comment on the lack of them at DLR,if you can transform the park for halloween then the same should be a least partially done for the countries birthday.still I am a huge disney fan but I hope next year they do a little bit more for the fourth of july weekend…

just noticed I am almost double digit …hoooooooray

I like what you say here! I was raised a “navy brat” and I have a personnal connection to our troops, but delmarjohn is correct, supporting the troops is another subject entirely! I have to agree, if Disney can go out of it’s way to transform for Christmas and Halloween, then I believe RED, WHITE and BLUE should fly high, proud and in abundance too on the 4th of July! I do however, think they do a great job of showing their American spirit all year through, but do understand the need to see a bit more on the 4th!

we are going about the same time as you, we are 100 days out…enjoy your trip ,we have been to WDW many times in OCT it is a great time to go

Thanks, you as well! We went last October and absolutely loved it!

Thats odd! I think they should atleast decorate Liberty Square and Main Street with some Red White and Blue swag banners or something! Like they do for Halloween.

While I agree that the July 4th decorations could be done better, I really don’t believe that Disney is ashamed to be an American company.

I agree,but almost everything disney does is thought out way in advance,as is evidenced by so many events,so the lack of decorations,I believe was decided upon and not just an over sight

I just saw this on wdwmagic.com - apparently they put a lot of effort into 4th of July at the American Adventure in Epcot!

Benjamin Franklin and Betsy Ross were out doing meet and greets with guests and some historical story-telling. The Spirit of America fife and drum corp were performing, along with appearances by Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy, all dressed in patriotic outfits. The Voices of Liberty 4th of July Concert was held in the American Gardens Theater, along with a special performance with an upstairs “shadow choir” inside the rotunda.

They posted photos also: The American Adventure (Pavilion) news - Photos from the Fourth of July at The American Adventure Pavilion

I do agree that maybe they should have put some more effort into decorating the MK as well, but I was glad to see that at least the American Adventure had a big party!