Decorations for Christmas at WDW

Hey everyone!

I was just curious as to whether or not anyone knows when Christmas decorations go up and come down at Walt Disney World for this coming season?

Im hoping to do the College program for the spring semester and am trying to decide whether I will be able to go down early enough to see the Christmas decorations before they are taken down.

Thank you all for any info you may have! :laugh:

Welcome to MouseBuzz.

Everything will be fully decorated before Thanksgiving and start to come down shortly after January first, most are probably taken down between the 3rd and 6th.

Decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving. A few may sneak in prior to that, but that is typically the day for the festivities to begin and continue until January 1st.

I know they start putting them up for the first MVMXP which is Nov 8 of this year and then the hotels usually follow shortly after that. I usually go in Nov.

I want to say after the first of the year they come down (I’ve never been down there at that time ) but I’m guessing by Jan7th at the latest?

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party begins November 8th, won’t all the Christmas decorations be up by then?

I’m pretty sure they should be up for the beginning of Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party. They usually start to take them down the first week of January, but it takes awhile, so you still should be able to see a lot of them through the first week or so into January.

Sorry gang, had Thanksgiving on my mind and meant to say Halloween.

Welcome.

Usually we have all decorations up by November 5th at MK. The other parks will have theirs up before Thanksgiving.

I’m a champion for CPs at WDW so I hope to see you around. Feel free to message me if you have any additional Qs.

We’ll be there to see decorations for the first time this year - I can’t wait!! hoping to see some awesome resort decorations, but realize we may be too early for that…

I’m just thrilled to see the castle in twinkling lights!!

Having done Thanksgiving twice now, we did seem to notice a “day after Thanksgiving” change. While decorations are up prior, you won’t necessarily hear Christmas music everywhere.

After Thanksgiving, Christmas is in full effect. :tinytree:

[QUOTE=emamasa;1084230]We’ll be there to see decorations for the first time this year - I can’t wait!! hoping to see some awesome resort decorations, but realize we may be too early for that…

I’m just thrilled to see the castle in twinkling lights!![/QUOTE]

Not really. I’ve been going down to WDW the past few years the 2nd week of November and usually by Wednesday, most hotels are decorated. The MK will be up and once the F&W at Epcot is done they usually start in with the Xmas stuff.

Last year at AK and HS (I arrived 11/12/10) they were already up!! I think you are arriving in around the same time I am (11/11/11). You will have plenty to see! Enjoy!!

When do they start “building” the gingerbread house at the GF.
Frank

[QUOTE=fjs08;1085556]When do they start “building” the gingerbread house at the GF.
Frank[/QUOTE]

Not sure about exact dates, but I was there November 17th and it was already up.

>>Usually we have all decorations up by November 5th at MK. The other parks will have theirs up before Thanksgiving. <<
I was under the impression that the resorts were up before Thanksgiving and that there was some major transformation that occurred Sunday after Thanksgiving to Monday at the parks. Or is that when everything is “turned on?”
Frank

[QUOTE=fjs08;1085560]>>Usually we have all decorations up by November 5th at MK. The other parks will have theirs up before Thanksgiving. <<
I was under the impression that the resorts were up before Thanksgiving and that there was some major transformation that occurred Sunday after Thanksgiving to Monday at the parks. Or is that when everything is “turned on?”
Frank[/QUOTE]

It is very Christmas-y at Thanksgiving. They only thing we did notice was the background music - after Thanksgiving we seemed to hear it everywhere: resort, pool, etc.

I have gone the first week of January several times Never arriving before the 3rd except 2012 when I will arrive on the 1st). They must take down the Gingerbread house on the 1st as it is always gone before I get there on the 3rd. There will be some decorations up through the first full week of January. They take it down at nght. One night the huge tree in front of the Contemporary was there with all the decorations and the next morning everything was gone without a trace.