DH wants to take DS on POTC

Hi everyone. DH and I were talking about our trip and he told me that he wants to take DS on POTC. DS is only one and loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I told DH that I think it might be too much for DS and we’ll just make that choice if he gets to ride it when we get there.

What would you do? Has anyone taken a child this young on Potc?

I’d be surprised if he could really relate it to Jake & the Neverland Pirates. You think?

We took Her Majesty at that age. Hmmm… I think it was fine… I think she was a little upset about other things when we got on… but I know she fell asleep during the ride!

They’re still not old enough to register all of those skeletons as something that might be scary. (Now that she’s three, Her Majesty just screams, “Look! It’s the Dark Mark!” whenever she sees a skull. She’s been well-trained by her brother.)

A little glow stick might take care of the dark parts.

I know it is a long shot from Jake but that was one of DH’s points ( you know how some men think different from us moomies).

I think I might give it a try. It is just a ride and everything is worth a try once.

We started taking our first when she was 8 months old and our second when he was just 4 weeks old. My thought was to always take them on everything they could go on- even then. Even as they aged they were really excited to go on the bigger rides. We are still waiting to be tall enough for Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster, but my children have never been afraid of any of the rides.

On the other hand, we went with some friends that explained to their child how scary the ride would be and the little girl was a wreck the whole day. Even if a ride is scary, distract them and ask them to point things out.

If your DS gets scared on POTC ask him to find the cats or the pigs or a hairy dirty leg!!

I took my baby on POTC when she was about 10 weeks old. Didn’t seem to bother her!

Try taking him on around naptime. My little brother was about 18 months and he was out like a light within the first minute or two. He didn’t seem to be affected at all

I would say, go. I took our 9 month old- did not seem to care. One the other hand- he loved It’s a small world… LOVED IT!

[QUOTE=johnkimv;1090366]On the other hand, we went with some friends that explained to their child how scary the ride would be and the little girl was a wreck the whole day. Even if a ride is scary, distract them and ask them to point things out.

If your DS gets scared on POTC ask him to find the cats or the pigs or a hairy dirty leg!![/QUOTE]

You are so right! Call me a terrible mother, but it never occurred to me the first time we went to Disneyland to worry about my kids’ reactions.:laugh: I was just too darn excited to be there myself! So I just plopped them into each attraction and they had a ball! I honestly can’t remember them being afraid of anything. Then, one year we took some friends with us and the mother had to explain each and every attraction to her little boy - totally freaked him out, he refused to go on anything - and totally ticked me off because I had to deal with my dh glaring at me because his routine was messed up. Children don’t need an overload of information. Be upbeat, assure them that you’d never take them on anything that would hurt them and it’s all “just for fun”.

My baby also LOVED Small World. She must have thought she’d stumbled into a storybook!

Her Majesty is three, and STILL thinks Small World is the GREATEST. THING. EVER.

Definitely go on Small World! You’ll find new appreciation for it. :wub:

Thank you all for your responses. I think I might try having ride what he can when we are there.

Completely agree!!! If you don’t make a big deal out of a ride, and let them know you would never let them go on anything that would hurt them, they will be fine. My oldest DD has gone on everything I go on, and she loves the rides! She actually is more a daredevil then me on rides now. :laugh:

My oldest DD’s first trip was when she was 13 months old, and we took her on Pirates of the Caribbean several times. My youngest DD’s first trip was when she was 10 months and she did POTC also. It’s not scary at all, as long as you are calm, and don’t make it seem scary to them.

My kids first trip was when they were 5 and 8. We clipped a mini flashlight on their belt loops and told them that if it was too dark or if they were nervous to turn on the light. It worked great and by the end of the trip, they were riding the dark rides together and hubby and I got to ride some together too! :slight_smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama
You are so right! Call me a terrible mother, but it never occurred to me the first time we went to Disneyland to worry about my kids’ reactions. I was just too darn excited to be there myself! So I just plopped them into each attraction and they had a ball! I honestly can’t remember them being afraid of anything. Then, one year we took some friends with us and the mother had to explain each and every attraction to her little boy - totally freaked him out, he refused to go on anything - and totally ticked me off because I had to deal with my dh glaring at me because his routine was messed up. Children don’t need an overload of information. Be upbeat, assure them that you’d never take them on anything that would hurt them and it’s all “just for fun”.

Completely agree!!! If you don’t make a big deal out of a ride, and let them know you would never let them go on anything that would hurt them, they will be fine. My oldest DD has gone on everything I go on, and she loves the rides! She actually is more a daredevil then me on rides now.

I completely agree too. I never explained a ride to the kids before we went on them. As soon as they were tall enough for a ride, they went on it and never complained. My kids were never afraid.

We too went with friends that explained everything and their kids were freaking out on most of the rides. They sat back and waited while we had a blast on all the rides!

I think kids get afraid when we tell them how scary the ride is going to be!

Have a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama
You are so right! Call me a terrible mother, but it never occurred to me the first time we went to Disneyland to worry about my kids’ reactions. I was just too darn excited to be there myself! So I just plopped them into each attraction and they had a ball! I honestly can’t remember them being afraid of anything. Then, one year we took some friends with us and the mother had to explain each and every attraction to her little boy - totally freaked him out, he refused to go on anything - and totally ticked me off because I had to deal with my dh glaring at me because his routine was messed up. Children don’t need an overload of information. Be upbeat, assure them that you’d never take them on anything that would hurt them and it’s all “just for fun”.

Completely agree!!! If you don’t make a big deal out of a ride, and let them know you would never let them go on anything that would hurt them, they will be fine. My oldest DD has gone on everything I go on, and she loves the rides! She actually is more a daredevil then me on rides now.

I completely agree too. I never explained a ride to the kids before we went on them. As soon as they were tall enough for a ride, they went on it and never complained. My kids were never afraid.

We too went with friends that explained everything and their kids were freaking out on most of the rides. They sat back and waited while we had a blast on all the rides!

I think kids get afraid when we tell them how scary the ride is going to be!

Have a great trip.