DHS Needs a Good Dine-In Restaurant

DHS needs a good themed dine-in restaurant. Anyone have any suggestions?

I mentioned in another thread that they need a Happy Days type diner with sock hop dancers. Old cars sitting around. Tables with umbrellas outside & a few inside. A juke box playing. Records hanging on the wall. Hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken strips w/FF, cherry-vanilla cokes, shakes & floats. But, this would be a counter service.

You’re singing to the choir, darrlink :cool:

I don’t know of a counter service like that. But for that Happy Days feel you have 50’s Prime time. For that drive-in feel you have Sci-Fri drive-in

I don’t know about now but Universal use to have Mel’s Drive-In. With a couple of vintage cars parked out front. You could eat inside or outside. They had sock-hop singers/dancers out front at certain times of the day in poodle skirts & duck-tailed hair-do’s.

From what I am reading there is nothing really special about the eating places at DHS. I know I have never eaten there except for Pizza Planet.

Perhaps they need to rethink it. I want good food along with that Disney magic that the other Disney Parks have. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

I agree…they definitely need some more dining options at DHS. Counter Service AND Table Service! Sad to say, we NEVER make plans to eat here. :crying:

[QUOTE=brebre_51;882572]I don’t know about now but Universal use to have Mel’s Drive-In. With a couple of vintage cars parked out front. You could eat inside or outside. They had sock-hop singers/dancers out front at certain times of the day in poodle skirts & duck-tailed hair-do’s.

From what I am reading there is nothing really special about the eating places at DHS. I know I have never eaten there except for Pizza Planet.

Perhaps they need to rethink it. I want good food along with that Disney magic that the other Disney Parks have. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Universal still has Mel’s. But I think they have TERRIBLE food! :blow: (and this is coming from someone who is a big Universal fan too) When DH and the boys go to Mel’s for burgers, I walk over and buy myself a sandwich at Schwab’s instead.

And I think you are missing a lot by not trying the restaurants in DHS. They really are very well themed and lots of fun. I think Prime Time and the Sci Fi Dine In are two of the most clever restaurants on property. Much cooler than Mel’s and certainly better food!

We’ve eaten at DHS twice - once for lunch at SciFi Drive In and once for Dinner at Hollywood & Vine as part of the Fantasmic package. We thoroughly enjoyed SciFi - not sure if it was because the weather was ungodly Hot & Humid and it was cool, dark, and relaxing in SciFi or if it was because we really had a chance to unwind away from the crowds. Watching the movies let us both zone out for 45 minutes. LOL! Hollywood & Vine was okay - what more can I say, it is a Buffet with plenty of variety so everyone was satisfied, but nothing particularly outstanding. We do have a ressie in Dec for Mama Melrose’s. Never been, but hoping the food is good. We like plain food so thought this would be a good option. Keeping my fingers crossed since I’ve read some good and some bad reviews.

DHS has two seriously themed restaurants and two other sit-downs restaurants. Not only do they have the four sit-downs (two more than AK), they have tons of counter options. I really don’t think they need more, but that’s only my opinion.

The Prime Time Cafe is the closest you’ll get to the style your asking about

Mama Melrose’s is one of my fav TS at WDW!We always do the Fantasmic package there.

I have really enjoyed The Prime Time Cafe the times that I’ve eaten there. My family makes a point of eating there at least once each visit. The Sci-Fi is fun…the menu isn’t too imaginative, but it’s fun!

We have also eaten at SciFi and my kids loved the theme. siting in the car watching a movie and eating that may be 2 or 3 of their favorite things to do on a daily basis.

Your idea sounds a lot like 50’s PimeTime. I love the theme of 50’s PT and Sci Fi af hit at least one each trip. If another restaurant is added I’m sure there would be less theming.