Differences In The DCL Ships?

We are doing 4 nights on the Dream in January. This is our first cruise ever. Im just curious to know what the different ships are like. Has anyone cruised different ships? :minnie:

deleted comment…commented on my own post…oops

Cabins are larger, the ship is more kid friendly. There are areas of the ship which are kid free including pool and hot tubs.

One of the best things IMHO is the rotational dining. Each night you and your table mates can eat in a different themed main dining room but your serving staff travels with you.

Travel and Leisure annually ranks the big ship cruise lines, and generally DCL is only one you’ve heard of in the top 10.

Different DCL ships or different cruise lines?

I’ve cruised Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Princess, Norwegian, and Disney. While there are differences between those lines, I think the bigger difference is which cruise ship you choose to sail. I’ve found that the flagship cruise ship of each line is much more comparable in price, entertainment, and amenities among other cruise lines. So Royal Caribbean’s Oasis and Allure of the Seas, the Norwegian Epic and Breakaway (and upcoming Getaway), Carnival Breeze, and Princess’s upcoming Royal Princess are actually quite comparable in entertainment and activities. However, if you’re comparing a cheap 4-night cruise on Carnival, Royal Caribbean’s, or NCL’s oldest ship to a 4-night on the Disney Dream, then that’s not comparing apples to apples.

I think that’s definitely an advantage of Disney Cruise Line - they offer short 3 and 4-night cruises on one of their largest, most impressive vessels. No other cruise line does that. Others all sail their smallest, oldest ships on those short Bahamian itineraries. Of course, that’s why other cruise lines have much less expensive short Bahamian cruises. But when people generically say, “Oh, Carnival is so much cheaper than Disney,” they aren’t considering that on the same itinerary with Carnival, the cruise ship is nowhere near the scale of Disney’s.

And another thing unique about Disney is that because it’s a small cruise line with only four ships, all four ships are kept up-to-date. So you never have to worry about being on a ship that’s in great need of a dry dock.