Different dining plan question

Okay, here’s a different question, I hope it doesn’t cause controversy - if it does, speak your opinions. That’s why I’m asking.

We may plan a trip in December for a few days. My DD and her BF will be there. They have passes for the parks - friend of hers works there and can get them for her, so they will just be getting a value room.

If DH and I get a pkg - room, tickets, dining plan and we meet up with them an evening for dinner, can we pay for all four meals with our card-dining plan?

I realize that will short DH and I by 2 meals, we’ll have to purchase something that day, but can we do this?

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, everyone dining has to be on the dining plan for meals to be deducted. I don’t think you will be able to pay for DD & her BF.

I don’t think the servers are allowed to do that. You can have two different tabs and they can pay cash and you can use your credits. Your card will say 2A on it and that tells the servers that there are two adults on the dining plan.

okay, this makes sense. I didn’t know how they would know there were not 4 of us on the reservation.

that’s not quite right. Everyone in the room has to be on the same plan as everyone else.
The servers don’t care who pays for what. When we pay for meals, Mike doesn’t take out his card to pay for his and then I take out mine to pay for mine. See???..

So, it would be totally alright for you to pay for those meals, Sue :wink:

I’ve done it with counter service before, but not with table service.

Last October, my Dad decided to come to MNSSHP at the last minute. Too late for him to get the dining plan. We shared counter service credits cuz the meals are huge . . . but at our ADRs he just paid out of pocket.

You’ve paid for the meals, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t let you do it? Either way at some point you are paying for extra meals somewhere.

[QUOTE=Dopey;942088]that’s not quite right. Everyone in the room has to be on the same plan as everyone else.
The servers don’t care who pays for what. When we pay for meals, Mike doesn’t take out his card to pay for his and then I take out mine to pay for mine. See???..

So, it would be totally alright for you to pay for those meals, Sue :wink:[/QUOTE]

They would not be in our room, they would have their own room, no dining plan.

I just figured we could pay OOP for even an extra counter service meal some evening to “treat” them to a TS meal.

[QUOTE=sue299;942092]They would not be in our room, they would have their own room, no dining plan.

I just figured we could pay OOP for even an extra counter service meal some evening to “treat” them to a TS meal.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don’t think it will be a problem. Good luck!

[QUOTE=sue299;942092]They would not be in our room, they would have their own room, no dining plan.

I just figured we could pay OOP for even an extra counter service meal some evening to “treat” them to a TS meal.[/QUOTE]

I totally understood that, Sue. I really think the servers will not care who pays for how many meals!!!

This is very interesting and I would be interested to know how it works out. I agree it shouldn’t matter if you pay for 2 or 4 meals as you have paid for meals anyways and at some point you will run out and have to buy

Here’s two experiences we’ve had…

A good friend of mine who’s travelled to Disney numerous times, once ended up there with her husband and children, however, her husband was not on the room package dining plan. When they went to dinner, they had no problem using an extra TS credit if hers to pay for his meal.

Last year we took my parents to Disney and on the last day of the trip they had two extra CS credits (4 credits total). We had used all of ours, so for our last lunch my DH and my DD bought meals at the resort cafe and when they went to pay, the CM said that only 2 adults were listed on my DD’s card, so he could only use 2 CS credits at a time. He was able to go back in line and then charge DH and my meals as a separate transaction.

Is that clear?:huh:

You are supposed to only use the number of credits per people on the plan at one sitting, however, you can use multiple credits per day if you want to.

Good luck!!

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;942146] the CM said that only 2 adults were listed on my DD’s card, so he could only use 2 CS credits at a time. He was able to go back in line and then charge DH and my meals as a separate transaction.

[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t it seem then, that the waiter could ring up your meals on two separate tickets and you could pay for them that way, using 4 credits total? At that point, I think it would depend on your server and how accommodating they feel like being at that point of the day.

No I am sure the servers don’t care, but what about the system? I think the system would spit it out, but if they were to do two different transactions, then it would work.

I have heard from others who tried to pay for meals for folks not on the dining plan, but it didn’t work. I have a feeling it depends on the situation, the server and the establishment.

[QUOTE=lovemysons;942155]No I am sure the servers don’t care, but what about the system? I think the system would spit it out, but if they were to do two different transactions, then it would work.

I have heard from others who tried to pay for meals for folks not on the dining plan, but it didn’t work. I have a feeling it depends on the situation, the server and the establishment.[/QUOTE]

ack, I didn’t think about that.

Also here’s a thought. If you plan on paying for other meals out of pocket because you’ve used some for your daughter and her friend, what difference does it make anyway? I mean, pay for theirs out of pocket that night and keep using your DDP credits the way they were meant to be used and call it good, right?

A friend of mine was on the deluxe dining plan and was ablreto use some of her credits for her mom who was not on the DDP (table service credits).

One way that you might be able to get around it, is to ask for you and your daughter on one bill, and your wife and the friend on the other bill, and then you and your wife each give your room card to pay for each bill seperately.

I am not entirely sure if you can or not, but I don’t see the harm in doing it. You are going to end up paying for a meal or two out of pocket in the end anyway, so who cares which meal it is?? I dn’t see this as wrong at all and would totally try it. To me it’s no difference how you treat someone to a meal.

Actually I thought about this while reading a previous post. That would only put 2 people on a bill.

Otherwise, I would “treat” DD but we would probably just CS the meal we would have to buy, instead of TS, would be cheaper. Also that would “free up” a night we would not be committed to for reservations.

I love the dining plan and enjoying the good TS meals, nice time for relaxation, but sometimes you change how you want to spend the day and you’re at a different park than your reservations are and then hustling to catch bus, walk 1/2 way round the park to finally get there on time.

DD and friend are definitely going, just haven’t decided if we’ll do a trip or not. but all these are something to keep in mind.