Dining packages

So, last time we went to WDW we had free Dining as part of our package. This time we go, we do not have it but are contemplating adding it. However, since the last time we were there I noticed that there are quite a few varients on the DDP. Can anyone tell me the differences between them and a rough idea of the differing charges applicable? Also, can the DDP be added when you check in or must it be booked in advance prior to arrival at WDW?
One last question…am I right in thinking that we are back to 180 days out for ADRS?

that’s it I think…thanks guys xx

Here is a link to allears.net that list the dining plan choices. I believe there are 5 different options.

1. quick service dining
  2. plus dining
  3. deluxe dining
  4. premium dining
  5. platinum dining.

Walt Disney World Vacation Packages

I have always done the plus dining and it is a lot of food. I also do believe that the booking is back to 180 days for ADR’s I am not sure if it has taken effect yet but I think it has.

As for booking the dining plan. I think it needs to be booked the 45 days out when the full amount of the trip is due. But I am sure they would let you add the dining plan when you get there. I cannot imagine they would turn your money away.

I know you cannot wait until you check in to add the dining, but I am not quite sure what the timeframe is that you have to do it in.

ADRs are going back to 180 days, but not until Oct. 27.

Premium and platinum are not dining plans, they are all inclusive vacation plans and as such cost a great deal more than simply adding the deluxe dining plan.
These packages also include unlimited recreation, most tours, and tickets to Cirque du Soliel. They also add Portobello Yacht Club and Fulton’s to your dining options and dining itself is equal to deluxe dining with app, entree, dessert and beverages 3 times a day, plus 2 snacks and beverage cup (2 credit signature/show rules appear to not apply). Finally the park tickets are essentially ultimate park hoppers allowing access to waterparks and Disney Quest and unlimited park hopping.
When you step up to platinum, you are essentially stepping up to concierge/club level pre-planning services. You also gain Victoria and Albert’s, spa treatments, and room service (as long as you’re staying in a deluxe resort), in room child care, reserved Fantasmic seating, preferred fireworks viewing areas, and fireworks cruises.

Ariel, these two are clearly far beyond your budget.

You have until three days before arrival to upgrade your reservation to add any vacation package to your existing reservation, although with your being in the UK, I’d probably make all changes no closer than one week out. If you are going to do this, I’d make your initial reservation deposit only equal to one night. The reason is that when you switch, they will have to charge the entire new reservation if you’re inside 45 days of arrival and will then credit back your original deposit to that credit card, which can take as long as 5 business days.

The current plans are
CS or QS (quick service or counter service)(entree, dessert, beverage)
2 CS meals, 2 snacks, resort refillable beverage cup, around $32 adult/day

Regular
1 CS (entree, dessert, beverage), 1 TS (entree, dessert, beverage), 1 Snack, refillable cup, around $47 for 2010

Deluxe
3 TS (appetizer, entree, dessert, beverage), 2 snacks, refillable cup, around $72 for 2010.

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2009%20Disney%20Premium%20Plan%20-%20Walt%20Disney%20World.pdf

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2009%20Disney%20Platinum%20Plan%20-%20Walt%20Disney%20World.pdf

[QUOTE=Soundgod;992014]

The current plans are
CS or QS (quick service or counter service)(entree, dessert, beverage)
2 CS meals, 2 snacks, resort refillable beverage cup, around $32 adult/day

Regular
1 CS (entree, dessert, beverage), 1 TS (entree, dessert, beverage), 1 Snack, refillable cup, around $47 for 2010

Deluxe
3 TS (appetizer, entree, dessert, beverage), 2 snacks, refillable cup, around $72 for 2010.

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2009%20Disney%20Premium%20Plan%20-%20Walt%20Disney%20World.pdf

http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2009%20Disney%20Platinum%20Plan%20-%20Walt%20Disney%20World.pdf[/QUOTE]

Soundgod, does the reg DDP get a mug next yr? It seems odd that only the QS and deluxe gets it this yr.

We are getting the QS for our one night stay at POP mostly because of the mug. With the mugs costing about $13.00 now, you can’t beat 2 snacks and 2 CS for the remaining 17 or so dollars.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;992024]Soundgod, does the reg DDP get a mug next yr? It seems odd that only the QS and deluxe gets it this yr.

We are getting the QS for our one night stay at POP mostly because of the mug. With the mugs costing about $13.00 now, you can’t beat 2 snacks and 2 CS for the remaining 17 or so dollars.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for calling me out on this. I’ve made a mistake. I thought I had read that for 2010 they would be including the mug with the regular dining plan, but they aren’t.

Your math is off a little on the mug and the quick serve plan.
Yes, it is valued at $13, but that $13 is spread over your full length of stay.
I prefer to expense it out like this: two CS meals a day each totaling between $12.50-$17 with tax and two snacks at $2 each and treat the mug as value added. At best, over 3 days, the mug is equal to $4.33 each day.
If you’re there for 7 days, the mug is less than $2 a day.

Sorry, I’m just obsessive when it comes to dining plan math and how to make the most of it.
I’ve done the math so you don’t have to:redface:

I notice that the Premium Plan and Plattinum Plan brochures do not have prices.

I guess if you half to ask you can’t afford it. :eek: Any ideas on cost?

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;992046]I notice that the Premium Plan and Plattinum Plan brochures do not have prices.

I guess if you half to ask you can’t afford it. :eek: Any ideas on cost?[/QUOTE]

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it:laugh:

Seriously, figure the dining portion alone must be $90-100 a night.
Tours can cost up to $100 or more, if you’re doing Dolphins in Depth and Divequest.
Golf green fees and unlimited boat rental including waverunners (which is something like $100), parasailing. And tickets for La Nouba.
This would easily be a $200-250 a night per person premium on top of room cost.
In 2001 and 2002 we did Grand Plan at Yacht and Beach.
In 2003 and 2004 we did Gold Plan at WL and Contemporary. Club level at all of them and I recall 3 and 4 days costing in the neighborhood of $2500 for 2 adults in October.

Grand is equal to Platinum and Gold is equal to Premium.

You can do a quote online at the official disney site. I had a go for 2 weeks staying at Pop Century for 2 people, cost about $2K regular but once I added on one of these packages it jumped to something like $6K my jaw dropped.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;992037]Thanks for calling me out on this. I’ve made a mistake. I thought I had read that for 2010 they would be including the mug with the regular dining plan, but they aren’t.

Your math is off a little on the mug and the quick serve plan.
Yes, it is valued at $13, but that $13 is spread over your full length of stay.
I prefer to expense it out like this: two CS meals a day each totaling between $12.50-$17 with tax and two snacks at $2 each and treat the mug as value added. At best, over 3 days, the mug is equal to $4.33 each day.
If you’re there for 7 days, the mug is less than $2 a day.

Sorry, I’m just obsessive when it comes to dining plan math and how to make the most of it.
I’ve done the math so you don’t have to:redface:[/QUOTE]

We are looking at it this way. We are going to disney for 12 days at three different resorts. At some point we are going to buy a mug. Why not get the mug with a ONE day QS ddp. The rest of the trip we are doing TIW.

[QUOTE=ARIEL;991974]So, last time we went to WDW we had free Dining as part of our package. This time we go, we do not have it but are contemplating adding it. However, since the last time we were there I noticed that there are quite a few varients on the DDP. Can anyone tell me the differences between them and a rough idea of the differing charges applicable? Also, can the DDP be added when you check in or must it be booked in advance prior to arrival at WDW?
One last question…am I right in thinking that we are back to 180 days out for ADRS?

that’s it I think…thanks guys xx[/QUOTE]

You must add the DDP before you get there. I would do that now if you intend to do it. The variations since the last time you used it (trying to remember the last time you did it…I think we were down there at the same time last time), no Appetizer included…tip also seperate. Dessert still works with it and tax too. I personally like the Counter plan better and just book a few tables. Do the math on that one…if you don’t do a sit down meal every single day or feel rushed when you do, the CS plan is much nicer (and cheaper). It’s two counters, two snacks and a refillable mug per person. DD and I used half the snacks to have for the room and the other half worked as breakfast or whatever. We had plenty to eat. You will be surprised how many great counter places there is. Sunshine seasons and wolfgang puck express are two gems that we cannot wait to go back to. Table service quality for counter credits.

I was thinking the CS plan for our trip since I want to pack in as much as I can in 3 days and waiting on ressies just isn’t something I want to do. I want to fly by the seat of my pants and do what I want, when I want it. I’m considering the mug free considering dh and I are major foodies at WDW. Even though I know there are those who don’t, Soundgod. hehe.

I am definitely checking out everything to be sure, and when I priced things dh and I normally would pick, the QS plan was our best bet anyways.