Dining plan question

This is going to sound silly but i am going to ask anyway :blush::blush:
if i wanted to see if i am saving money by using the dining plan, how or what can i do?
do i pick out my resturants and see what they charge per person, and add it all up for each day?..
But then how can I see what i am saving if I use the dining plan?
I plan on going in March 2010…
I mean i will more then likely use the dining plan but i was just curious on how much i would be saving by using it…
TIA!!!

Danielle

What I like to do is plan out my ADR’s and then I look at the menu and add up what my total would be using the menus:
Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

Of course it’s just a general idea but it usually gives you a pretty good idea of how much you’d spend. However, to be honest once you include a snack, a CS meal with dessert and a TS meal with dessert you will save money. I just like having everything paid for in advance and not having to worry about paying for food once I’m on vacation.

I usually go to Deb’s Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World and look up the menus for the restaurants. Get an idea of what we would order and figure out what it would cost us all together for a meal there before tip and add the cost of a counter service meal. I never figure in snacks because we are usually scrambling to use those at the end of the trip. Once you have an idea of what it would cost you out of pocket for the length of your trip, you can figure out what the dining plan would cost you for the length of your trip and compare the two. If you are not a DVC member then you will pay rack rates for your hotel and tickets in order to get the package with the dining plan, so you have to figure that into the equation. Before we started using DVC it cost us more overall to use the dining plan because we lost the discounted hotel, but that was just us. We have been using DVC since 2006 (we used to rent points but this year we purchased our own DVC membership).

On a side note, it is so convenient to have the meals paid for. Hope I helped. :smile:

I agree with Cinderbella. Another way is to manually track it. Using your DDP, the receipt doesn’t show the cost. However, for CS we watched the register for a total and wrote it down. For TS, the first bill you get includes the total, we would write this down also. We calculated tips also (back when tips were included in the plan). You do save money, but the convenience of using it is almost as good!

[QUOTE=cinderbella;979834]What I like to do is plan out my ADR’s and then I look at the menu and add up what my total would be using the menus:

Of course it’s just a general idea but it usually gives you a pretty good idea of how much you’d spend. However, to be honest once you include a snack, a CS meal with dessert and a TS meal with dessert you will save money. I just like having everything paid for in advance and not having to worry about paying for food once I’m on vacation.[/QUOTE]

Great minds think a like. You are just a bit faster than me. :smile:

Pooh Fan,

This may be off topic, but how does the DVC work and how much does it actually cost? We have thought about it over the years, probably should have done it a long time ago, but I am not generally a fan of time shares and am always skeptical… Thanks!

This is not always the case. It depends on what discounts happend to be available at that time and/or which ones you’d qualify for. I know right now the military are offered 40% off rack but still qualify for DDP if staying in WDW property. Disney Visa also offers the 10%. Sometimes it just depends on the situation.

That’s true, we could have gotten rooms at POP for 54 a night (plus tax) with our AP and then just buy the dining plan.

[QUOTE=cinderbella;979834]What I like to do is plan out my ADR’s and then I look at the menu and add up what my total would be using the menus:

Of course it’s just a general idea but it usually gives you a pretty good idea of how much you’d spend. However, to be honest once you include a snack, a CS meal with dessert and a TS meal with dessert you will save money. I just like having everything paid for in advance and not having to worry about paying for food once I’m on vacation.[/QUOTE]

exactly, thats why i always did the dining plan, thanks for the tips!!!

I think Wishy posted her savings in her last Trip Report - it was quite eye-opening. I also do it for the convenience, even if we only save a little. We tend to save because we do alot of character dinners.

I am going on my first trip to DW in Dec. so take this for what it’s worth… When a friend of mine came back from their last trip and said that their bill for Hoop de Doo would have been over $300 for 4 adults and 2 kids - that was enough to convince me!

For my family, the DDP only saves us money if we’re not staying in a villa. With a kitchen in the villa, we can eat breakfast in the room and keep food for snacks. I did the math a couple of years ago to see how much we actually spent on food without the DDP and it would have cost us more to do the plan. So, I was glad I hadn’t sprung for it.

I couldn’t decide if we should do the DDP this December (we’re staying at POFQ, so no kitchen) and out of the blue got a free DDP offer in the mail. So, I guess that decided it for me! I will try to keep track of what we spend to see if it would have been worth it if we had paid.

When and if you do that math on the meals of what you think you’d order, don’t forget to add in tax & tip!

I’m not convinced that looking at it honestly and considering what I’d really want to order that the dining plan is that huge of a savings. But the convenience can’t be beat.

yeah i kwym…when we went to chef mickey i noticed the bill was close to 150.00 and that was 2 adults and 3 kids…

i am pretty sure i would always stick w/the dining plan, i was just very curious on how much it saves…thank you !!!

For my DH and I, we do better without it. We eat at buffets mostly at lunch (and not every day) and then share a CS. On other days we may get three CS for the day. Breakfast we take care of in our room/villa. But if I was by myself, I’d have to get the dining plan. I’d be too cheap to pay those prices. I’d live on water and crackers all week.

We got the ddp for our DS and wife because he is just the opposite. He’d buy without thinking about cost until paying at check out.

Strike that. When you add up cost, don’t forget to add the sales tax.
You’re paying the tip out of pocket and have been since Jan 2008.

Really?? We can do the calculations where DDP is cheaper than dinner alone – I guess it depends on where you eat!

Here’s my simple math.

Sit down = $2 beverage + $22 entree + $6 dessert x 1.07 (sales tax) = $29.97
CS = $2 beverage + $8 platter + $3 dessert x 1.07 (sales tax) = $13.91
Snack = $2

Total = $45.88

That’s pretty much the minimum. Sit down dinners can run as much as $40 (sometimes more) and CS can run as much as $17.

[QUOTE=Tiggerific;979839]Pooh Fan,

This may be off topic, but how does the DVC work and how much does it actually cost? We have thought about it over the years, probably should have done it a long time ago, but I am not generally a fan of time shares and am always skeptical… Thanks![/QUOTE]

I will PM you with my experiences so that I don’t threadjack here, but I will tell you we were very skeptical about time shares. I would not own any other one but DVC.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;979913]Strike that. When you add up cost, don’t forget to add the sales tax.
You’re paying the tip out of pocket and have been since Jan 2008.[/QUOTE]

I’m aware of that.

What I was stupid about was forgetting that you’d also have to pay the tip if you were paying for the meal plan out of pocket. :wacko:

But you could have been nicer about it.