Dining Plan - Taxes, Charges & Tips

Just thought of another question re. dining.
I am a little confused.
We have the Disney Dining Plan for 16 nights of our stay.
Fortunately, it was added in to our “deal” at WDW.
But, I’m beginning to wonder if it was such a good deal now.

I spoke to someone last night at WDW and he said tax would automatically be added on at 18% but that “would all be taken care of” on the Dining Plan.
I asked him about the $5 surcharge per person as there are six in our party and that automatically means we’ll pay at least $30 per meal in charges, despite having $3,000 or so worth of Dining Plan Credits.
PLUS, will we then have to additionally find tips on top of that?
If so, it will be costing us mega bucks per meal, and the Dining Plan will be practically useless won’t it?

I’m hoping someone will tell me I’ve got it all wrong. Any advice appreciated so much. I’ve never been before, and it’s all new to me, but does seem a little crazy when we’re dealing with a family of six meals.

The 18% added is your tip. If you have a group of 6 or more your tip is automatically added in. That’s something that non WDW locations also do but it usually applies at 8 or more ppl. Your tax is incl in the cost of your meal plan, exception being on alccohol purchases. I have no idea what the $5 surcharge is about, sry.

I have never heard of a $5 surcharge. We have used the Dining Plan many times and all we pay for at meals is the tip and if something we ordered isn’t covered- like an adult beverage.

OK thanks. I have the brand new Unofficial Guide to WDW and apparently in high season, the most popular restaurants charge an extra $5 between June and mid August at EVERY RESTAURANT ON THE PLAN! Personally, I think that stinks, and is a huuuuuge rip off. But if none of you have been caught out, perhaps its a new thing they’ve started?
Glad the 18% is the tip though. At least this extra $30 is all we’ll (reluctantly) have to pay!!!

[QUOTE=Lindat;1066402]OK thanks. I have the brand new Unofficial Guide to WDW and apparently in high season, the most popular restaurants charge an extra $5 between June and mid August at EVERY RESTAURANT ON THE PLAN! Personally, I think that stinks, and is a huuuuuge rip off. But if none of you have been caught out, perhaps its a new thing they’ve started?
Glad the 18% is the tip though. At least this extra $30 is all we’ll (reluctantly) have to pay!!![/QUOTE]

Ohhh, you’re talking about the much loved “Seasonal Pricing” lol. I don’t remember that being a flat rate $5 at every restaurant, but more so at the buffets.

Hmm…that surcharge seems to be a new wrinkle.

Do you want to eat every night in a sit-down restaurant? Do you want to plan for 16 restaurant meals?

Alot of us are finding that all that planning and racing to ADRs gets a bit stressful. To get the full benefit of it, you are going to have to eat every night of your holiday in a sit-down restaurant. That is a LOT of restaurants. Also, I’m assuming that you have a suite at OKW and that means you have a full kitchen. Will there be some nights when you feel like eating at home? (You can arrange to have groceries delivered.) Remember - on top of the evening meal - you also have a counter-service and snacks. That adds up to a huge amount of food. And Disney portions are HUGE. My dh and I often share a meal. So - know your family. If you have big (and I mean BIG) eaters and are anxious to try all the restaurants - then the Dining Plan is great. If you’d rather skip some nights and have grilled cheese at home - then the DDP can be a lot of wasted money.

Ditto to what llama and the others have said.

I would send an email to WDW and confirm the surcharge dates. I have only experieinced them during the holiday periods (Xmas/New Years, Thanksgiving).

Thanks. I will write to Disney as you suggest.
I did consider that about all the mad dashing around across parks to eat, but I’ve tried to pick them where we’ll be on certain days and I can’t complain about the price, because I didn’t pay for it, not a cent.
It was all in our Disney deal. There was a 40% off period pre-Christmas from the Old Key West Resort and they threw in Deluxe Disney Dining and 14 night ticket for Disney so it really was a fantastic deal.
I just can see it now though, sitting in Mama Melrose at 5pm, waiting til about 7pm to get served and wishing we hadn’t wasted 2 hours in the park! Ha ha.
But hey, we’ll give it a go and try and see it as relaxation time.
We are there long enough that we don’t have to be on the go all day every day.

Here is a list of restaurants that probably won’t require an ADR (or you can get a last-minute ressie) on those nights when you just don’t feel like rushing.

Olivia’s - OKW
The Turf Club - Saratoga Springs
Wolfgang Puck Cafe (downstairs) Downtown Disney
House of Blues - Downtown Disney
Paradisio 37 - Downtown Disney
Kona Cafe - Polynesian Resort
Restaurant Marrakesh - Morocco, Epcot
Big River Grille & Brewing Co. - on the Boardwalk
Via Napoli - Italy, Epcot
Tokyo Dining - Japan, Epcot

Also remember that some restaurants are two credits - so if you choose some of those, you could have a couple of nights off from table-service.

[QUOTE=Lindat;1066426]Thanks. I will write to Disney as you suggest.
I did consider that about all the mad dashing around across parks to eat, but I’ve tried to pick them where we’ll be on certain days and I can’t complain about the price, because I didn’t pay for it, not a cent.
It was all in our Disney deal. There was a 40% off period pre-Christmas from the Old Key West Resort and they threw in Deluxe Disney Dining and 14 night ticket for Disney so it really was a fantastic deal.
I just can see it now though, sitting in Mama Melrose at 5pm, waiting til about 7pm to get served and wishing we hadn’t wasted 2 hours in the park! Ha ha.
But hey, we’ll give it a go and try and see it as relaxation time.
We are there long enough that we don’t have to be on the go all day every day.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean you got 40% off the room AND free deluxe dining (that’s 3 meals a day) and a 14 day park ticket? I’ve never heard of a deal like that.

Somebody must really like you.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1066435]Do you mean you got 40% off the room AND free deluxe dining (that’s 3 meals a day) and a 14 day park ticket? I’ve never heard of a deal like that.

Somebody must really like you.[/QUOTE]

I know - there sure are no deals like that in Canada.:dry:

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1066435]Do you mean you got 40% off the room AND free deluxe dining (that’s 3 meals a day) and a 14 day park ticket? I’ve never heard of a deal like that.

Somebody must really like you.[/QUOTE]

That’s what I was just thinking. Congrats on getting such a great deal!

I thought there was just an increase in the cost of the dining plan during those peak times, not at each restaurant. If I’m remembering correctly, you’ll just have to pay gratuity. Tax is included. With the Deluxe Dining Plan, I’d highly suggest using some of your credits on signature dining experiences (2 credits each) so then you aren’t spending ridiculous amounts of time sitting in restaurants everyday for 3 full meals. Plus that’s a lot of food to eat!

And wow, I’ve never heard of a discount as good as the one you got! That will make your trip even more enjoyable knowing you’re not paying out the nose for it! :mickey:

Yes, please share how you got that discount. We’d all love to try for that. The best we’ve ever been offered was 40% off rooms, 60% off tics but pay full price for DDP, or same discount on tics, free DDP but full price on rooms. But so far never one as good as yours.
I want what she’s got! :mickey:

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1066506]Yes, please share how you got that discount. We’d all love to try for that. The best we’ve ever been offered was 40% off rooms, 60% off tics but pay full price for DDP, or same discount on tics, free DDP but full price on rooms. But so far never one as good as yours.
I want what she’s got! :mickey:[/QUOTE]

I think they are only offering those deals to quests that do not live in the US…too bad:sad:

[QUOTE=llama;1066410]Hmm…that surcharge seems to be a new wrinkle.

Do you want to eat every night in a sit-down restaurant? Do you want to plan for 16 restaurant meals?

Alot of us are finding that all that planning and racing to ADRs gets a bit stressful. To get the full benefit of it, you are going to have to eat every night of your holiday in a sit-down restaurant. That is a LOT of restaurants. Also, I’m assuming that you have a suite at OKW and that means you have a full kitchen. Will there be some nights when you feel like eating at home? (You can arrange to have groceries delivered.) Remember - on top of the evening meal - you also have a counter-service and snacks. That adds up to a huge amount of food. And Disney portions are HUGE. My dh and I often share a meal. So - know your family. If you have big (and I mean BIG) eaters and are anxious to try all the restaurants - then the Dining Plan is great. If you’d rather skip some nights and have grilled cheese at home - then the DDP can be a lot of wasted money.[/QUOTE]

Plan a few sit down meals at lunch time…Like Tusker House in Animal Kingdom…if you book a lunch between 1:00-1:40pm you get guarenteed seating to the 3:15 nemo show. That way you can have dinner at your resort whenever you want. Sometimes always planning dinners is a hassle because in the middle of the day your thinking " we have to eat lunch NOW so we are hungry for dinner at 6:30"…planning lunches has been more relaxing for us, but some dinners must stay…1900 Park Fare, Chef Mickeys :smile:

Ahhhh :happy: I would love nothing more than one 7 day long trip to WDW where I get the Deluxe Disney DP and all I do is eat at sit down restaurants, all day long. :blush: And definitely try some of those other 2 ticket dinner shows! :]

Well then, it’s time for us all to visit Dixie. Dixie, get out the good towels and extra pillows, you’ve got company coming! How long do we have to stay so we can use your address??? :laugh:

Hmmm… DH doesn’t live in the US right now. He has Permanent orders overseas, wonder if that would qualify :rolleyes:

Yes, I really did get that good a deal. My sister worked out that we’re only paying about £20 a night to stay in a Luxury Villa at Old Key West - and there’s 6 of us!!! That’s if deduct the cost of the Disney 14 night tickets and the free Disney Dining prices. To be honest, we wouldn’t have been able to afford to stay in a Deluxe place, we probably would have stayed outside of Disney altogether at a villa about half an hour away, and we probably wouldn’t have purchased Disney Dining. I would have tried to eat outside the park to keep the costs down, but this truly was such an amazing deal, no hire car required as we can use the free Disney transport even to and from the airport! We would have had a very different holiday experience I am sure and would have spent a lot of time on the roads! I am very very happy about this independently organised trip. Much cheaper to organise my own Virgin flights too. I was a bit upset about the £800 per ticket prices, but now flights from the UK on Virgin in August are around £1200 to £1400 a ticket, absolutely crazy prices! So I’m happy there too now. 180 days to go!!! Woo Hoo!