Dining Suggestions for First Timers?

I’m in charge of planning (either that or I’m taking charge :laugh: ) my family’s big trip this May. We will be taking several first timers with us. My question is, what places would be good to take them to? I’m looking for good food and fun atmosphere, to really get them in the Disney mood.

I got to figure this all out before I call to make ADRs.

[B]Places I’m considering:[/B]
***Whispering Canyon (probably lunch - so how is that food? I’ve never been to it, I have heard all the comotion from the lobby though)
***Rose & Crown (dinner -thinking of timing this right to watch Illuminations on the outside terrace - once again, how is the food?)
***Akerhaus Princess Storybook Breakfast (seems a little scarce on the buffet options, based on AllEars menu. What do you think?)

Any other suggestions are appreciated. We’re not a “fancy restaurant” group, haha. Plus, we will be traveling with a 2 year old so kid friendly restaurants are a PLUS!

Can we ask the group size and ages? That will help.

Sorry.

7 adults (from 24 to 62 yrs old), 1 toddler (almost 2 yrs). We’re doing the deluxe dining plan too.

The 62 yr old (my dad) is probably the biggest kid of them all! :wub::laugh:

[QUOTE=KittieKChick;921053]I’m in charge of planning (either that or I’m taking charge :laugh: ) my family’s big trip this May. We will be taking several first timers with us. My question is, what places would be good to take them to? I’m looking for good food and fun atmosphere, to really get them in the Disney mood.

I got to figure this all out before I call to make ADRs.

Places I’m considering:
***Whispering Canyon (probably lunch - so how is that food? I’ve never been to it, I have heard all the comotion from the lobby though)
***Rose & Crown (dinner -thinking of timing this right to watch Illuminations on the outside terrace - once again, how is the food?)
***Akerhaus Princess Storybook Breakfast (seems a little scarce on the buffet options, based on AllEars menu. What do you think?)

Any other suggestions are appreciated. We’re not a “fancy restaurant” group, haha. Plus, we will be traveling with a 2 year old so kid friendly restaurants are a PLUS![/QUOTE]

Wasn’t fond of Akerhaus’ selection. Whispering Cannon is fun if you have the right server. Rose & Crown was very good. We actually had the best seat in the house for Illuminations. We were so close, that the paper from the fire works landed on our table and food. In Epcot we enjoy Mexico & Japan.
HS we like The Brown Derby, especially if they are still doing the Fantasmic package. As far as resorts, we like O’hana’s, & Narcossee’s :cool:

We just love PrimeTime Cafe (DHS) - 1900 Park Fare the food is very good.

Chef Mickey’s is a good idea, if I do say so myself :biggrin:
Crystal Palace is a definite must

The California Grill is wow-sville as is Narcoosee’s. You can get awesome fireworks view as you dine.

The character breakfasts are fun if your adults are really overgrown kids. The type you find around here. Our Fav? The Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;921068]The California Grill is wow-sville as is Narcoosee’s. You can get awesome fireworks view as you dine.

The character breakfasts are fun if your adults are really overgrown kids. The type you find around here. Our Fav? The Crystal Palace in the Magic Kingdom.[/QUOTE]

MissSMIG and I may dining there.

[QUOTE=Dopey;921066]Chef Mickey’s is a good idea, if I do say so myself :biggrin:
Crystal Palace is a definite must[/QUOTE]

Crystal palace IS a defenite must!!!
oh! oh! oh! and whispering canyon is a good place too! I love the food their too! depending on the waiter/waitress you get makes the difference between FUNNY and HILARIOUS

Chef Mickeys is a very fun place to eat with really good food.
Crystal Palace is also very good.
Sci-Fi Dine In is fun too.
:ohmy::happy:

I was looking at Crystal Palace too, probably for breakfast. DD (if she is not scared of characters) is in love with Tigger and Pooh! I thought I might set up some ADRs for character meals (my whole family is full of Big Kids), try one out, and if it’s a disaster for DD we can always cancel the rest once we get there.

50’s Prime Time is a definite must for us at DHS. The food is really good and if you get the right server it can really funny too! We didn’t really care for the Rose & Crown but the Biergarten is Epcot is awesome! Again, great food and really lively and fun entertainment! The Crystal Palace is another “must do” for us, although we usually go for dinner since we are not big breakfast eaters. Raglan Road in DTD is awesome - try Ger’s Bread & Butter Pudding. We have also really enjoyed the Plaza (in MK) and Sci-Fi (in DHS). happy planning!

Alot depends on what kind of people they are. Kid at heart? Prefer more “adult” dining? Or a mix of both.

We’re taking dd’s fiance with us for the first time. The most “Disney” type dinner I’ve arranged is Ohana. A couple at World Showcase, a breakfast at Kona.

I’d take a mix - a character meal for the child. A meal in World Showcase restaurant for a “foreign” touch, maybe a dinner buffet at Boma - I’d just do a nice overview of the different kinds of restaurants there are at WDW.

Boma, Boma, Boma!
'Ohana, 'Ohana, 'Ohana!

You will love Whispering Canyon. We always go for dinner and Crystal Palace Breakfast is great too!

Luckily! I’ve done all of those.

Whispering Canyon is great for lunch and dinner. I wouldn’t rule out dinner for this place either. The foods fantastic so you’ll want to eat a lot of it. And after a mid-day big meal I tend to want to take a nap not run around the parks.
Akershaus- We did dinner and the food was blah, the service was blah but the princesses :wub: were fantastic! I think your DD would looove seeing all the princesses and each of them takes time at each table.
Rose and Crown is my favorite (I got engaged there after Illuminations one night :wub:) To me the food and atmosphere are fantastic although others will disagree. It’s good “comfort style” food (steak, fish, shepards pie, etc.) that we love. Try and book your ADR around 8ish that way you’ll still be seated by the time the fireworks start.

Other good places would be Chef Mickey’s, Ohana’s and Boma.

[QUOTE=KittieKChick;921053]
***Whispering Canyon (probably lunch - so how is that food? I’ve never been to it, I have heard all the comotion from the lobby though)[/quote]
Whispering canyon has pretty good food…definately worth going to.

Ate there once and it was a miserable experience. The food was average at best and the service HORRIBLE. Other people on here stand by it and love it, so give it a shot. I could have just went on a bad night.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. We’re not a “fancy restaurant” group, haha. Plus, we will be traveling with a 2 year old so kid friendly restaurants are a PLUS!

O’hana definately…perfect for a family.
Momma Melrose…not everyone likes it as much as me, but I have seen them handly some seriously big groups with ease.

well, as the others have said all those places to dine are really good! but I would have to say that number one you have to try Crystal palace either breakfast or LATE lunch(dinner is about the same not that much changes like about 3 things but not that good of a change) anyways with what you get filled with if you go like at 3 man you will definitely be full until later that night so just go to like an ice cream parlor and get an ice cream and that’s it. or just get ice cream to go from crystal palace on a cone! woot woot!

whispering canyon again is kind of a family restaurant but this is the one restaurant i’ve been to were the waiters/waitresses can act like they really want to but they do it with A LOT of sarcasm. For example; I got the skillet which is a all you can eat platter that has mashed potatoes, roatiserie chicken, pulled pork, ribs, and corn on the cob. I have been there about 3 times I am ADDICTED to that place.

another one that I really liked that I think will be cool for your family too is Teppan Edo in japan. they do a bennihanas type show cooking over the grill top and it is A lot better and the service is PERFECT!!! a little expensive for japanese food but I would pay for it for the experience.

I haven’t been to Whispering Canyon but I have been to the other two restaurants a few times…

Rose and Crown: One of my very favorites, mostly because of the view for Illuminations. It would be a wonderful first time experience for you and your family to see the show that way. Make your ADR between 7:30 and 8 (but really anything after 7 and you’re good). Show up a little early and request a patio seat, even if that means waiting a little longer. Go across the street and take some snapshots in the phone booth!

Akershaus Princess Storybook Breakfast: I am a princess lover - and have done the storybook breakfast and the princess dinner. The breakfast is served family style and is very good. I loved the cinnamon rolls. I haven’t had lunch there but I really enjoyed dinner. There is a cold buffet with some cheeses, meats and fish that you are welcome to but you also order off the menu. Both times I went I got the braised pork and enjoyed it, but I was mostly excited about chatting about books with Belle :wub:

I think that character meals are for the whole family especially for those 62 year old kids at heart.

I think that Mickey’s Backyard BBQ is a wonderful character experience. Boma was a nice buffet that offered a good variety of food that everyone can find something they like and the grounds at the hotel are very relaxing to wander.

Chef Mickey is another character dinner that we enjoyed, the food was good and the characters come to the tables. The atmosphere is a little rowdy and loud and some might find it a little to much.

I have seen a lot of less than favorable reviews of Mama Melrose but this summer my husband and i had a really nice meal there, I would go back for sure.

We love Rose & Crown - been there twice for Illuminations. Both times our seats did not have a view, and the CMs were great about helping us get to a place where we could view the fireworks and we had great experience. We thought the food was terrific, but we like “pub grub.” It’s definitely upscaled pub grub.
Good luck!