Dinner: Coral Reef vs. Cape May Cafe

Anyone have a preference for dinner? I can’t decide between Coral Reef for dinner or Cape May Cafe’s dinner? Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or preference. We went a few years ago to Coral Reef (for lunch though) and it was good, not great, but good. And, we’ve only had breakfast at Cape May Cafe, but I know they have a seafood dinner buffet.
I can’t decide, and my husband will tell me whatever I want to do, so I figured I would go to my mousebuzz friends for advice. :wub:

I’m not going to be of much help.
I’ve eaten dinner at Cape May a few times but personally, I’ve never been bowled over by it. On the other hand, I’ve felt that Coral Reef’s menu has been lacking for the past several years as well. I might lean toward Coral Reef though because it will keep you in the park so you can watch Illuminations from inside the park (which is really the only way to see it) and also because the aquarium tank is much more interesting to look at.

I would go with Cape May Cafe, the menu at coral reef is lacking and I found the service very slow and unfriendly.

Cape May is my pick. Coral Reef is overrated, usually really slow service and a long wait even with a ressie. If you can’t get a seat by the aquarium, CR is not that great, IMHO. I think Cape May is more kid friendly.

But I ask all of you, what good is a seafood buffet that doesn’t have fried shrimp, fried fish, fried scallops, and hush puppies?
Come on, someone from the Carolinas give me some backup here!

What exactly is on the seafood buffet at Cape May Cafe???

Steamed clams, some sort of baked or broiled fish of the day, peel and eat shrimp, ribs, (maybe crab legs we’re still not sure if they’re back for good), the carved meats of the day (usually turkey and beef or pork), salad bar, pizza and chicken nuggets for the kids, breads and desserts.

Edit:
http://allears.net/menu/menu_cmc.htm
All American Clambake buffet featuring
clams, mussels, BBQ Ribs.

Beverages Extra

Sample Menu
Actual selections may vary from this menu

SOUPS
New England Clam Chowder
Cape May’s Tomato Bisque with Basil

BEEF SELECTIONS
Top Sirloin Steak
or
Carving Station - Hand-Carved Prime Rib of Beef with au jus and horseradish cream

SALADS
Mixed Lettuce with Dressing and Condiments
Casear Salad
Broccoli Salad
Potato Salad
Ambrosia
Seafood Salad
Cole Slaw

AMERICAN SIDE OF BUFFET

Smoked BBQ Pork Ribs
Mashed Red Skinned Potatoes
Chef’s Vegetable Selection
Steamed Corn on the Cob
Pasta du Jour
Steamed Red Bliss Potatoes

SEAFOOD SIDE OF BUFFET
Farm Raised Clams with Garlic Butter
Snow Crab Legs
Prince Edward Island Sound Mussels with Roasted Tomato Butter
Seasonal Fish du Jour
Steamed Peel & Eat Shrimp

CHILDREN’S BUFFET
Macaroni & Cheese
Mini Hot Dogs
Crispy Fish Nuggets
Fried Chicken Strips

DESSERT BAR
An Array of Assorted Desserts such as
Key Lime Pie, Assorted Cookies, Brownies, Peanut Butter Bars,
Chocolate Cake, Oreo Bon Bons, Flan, Cheesecake and Cupcakes

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1050747]I’m not going to be of much help.
I’ve eaten dinner at Cape May a few times but personally, I’ve never been bowled over by it. On the other hand, I’ve felt that Coral Reef’s menu has been lacking for the past several years as well. I might lean toward Coral Reef though because it will keep you in the park so you can watch Illuminations from inside the park (which is really the only way to see it) and also because the aquarium tank is much more interesting to look at.[/QUOTE]

It amazes me how much SG and I have the same opinion. He is dead on. Coral Reef is a neat location, but beyond that, not much. There are many many other options that we prefer to both. The aquarium is bad to look at, but it was a “one and done” type place. I prefer several other Epcot locations for the fun and atmosphere.

Oh, and my review on Cape May. Decent, but nothing hugely special. My wife thought the ribs were “just okay” (she won’t eat seafood), my Mom pigged out on the crab legs once, but I wasn’t in love with anything. The only great seafood I have had was Fulton’s, but only once.

(Or you could jump in the car and drive out to Landry’s Seafood House - 8800 Vineland Ave. south of I-4 though reviews are mixed)

No it doesn’t. After all strange minds think alike.:eek:

I vote for C) Skip both of them and head to Teppan Edo!

Cape May Cafe :smile:, on our last trip we did it for breakfast & the dinner too. My grandmother loved seafood there…we haven’t tried any other seafood at disney yet other then coral reef & cape may. We did the coral reef for lunch once but nothing really special about it other then the loction, but you can still walk for ecpot from the beach club & maybe get a better view of the show.

I totally agree! We ate at Coral Reef two years ago and the service was horrible. My DH talked me into trying it again this year and still the service was horrible, very unfriendly and the menu was lacking. They only had 9 entrees to choose from. :ohmy: Never again!

If you take a good look, you’ll find that virtually all WDW sit downs that are owned and operated by Disney have pared their menus back to 8-10 entrees.
You’ll also find a certain premium crustacean (cough lobster cough) has gone virtually extinct since the Magic Your Way dining plan was implemented at the same time. This is clearly a dollars driven trend.

Another question, Cape May Cafe dinner buffet also has characters, like the breakfast, right?? This dinner will be our first night on our trip to Disney in November, and I’m thinking that it sounds like I should do Cape May Cafe, and I believe there are characters, which would be nicer for my girls.

There characters are only there for breakfast. Garden Grill at epcot has characters for dinner and the food and atmosphere are both pretty good.

There are no characters at dinner- only breakfast. We always enjoy CMC and try to make it once a trip. My kids put a hurting on those clams! The crab legs we back for good as of our trip in June. My vote is for Cape May!

Oh darn! Alright, well I guess characters won’t help my decision then. haha

Cape May

Coral Reef is nice for the experiance, but the food is maybe average.