Dinning Plan Strategy

Ok…we’re only a couple weeks out from our 90 day ADR date and we’re completely lost. I have heard many different theories on how to plan these things. All the way from planning out every day to just shooting from the hip to everything in between.

There are (5) of us, 2 adults and 3 boys (15,14,10). I’d use all the initials, such as DS DW DS DT DR Dwhatever, but I’d have to sift through the lists and all the print outs I have in my individual “Disney” folders just to find out what they all mean. :blink:

Our dates are July 24th through August 1st, 2009. We’re staying at the Port Orleans Riverside based on many different reviews from this website. We can’t wait to go and it looks like nothing but a great place. I’m a fisherman, so I can’t wait to drop a dark green jerk bait into the lagoon near the pool.

The 2 adults haven’t been to Disney in over 20 years, but the 2 oldest have been there last year. My youngest has never been to Disney and will “drop a jaw” when we get there. This will be his first plane trip as well, so I want this trip to be the best for him.

Now for the ADRs. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? We have the Basic Plan so we get a sit down everyday. I think I want to start with Ohana on the first night to start of the trip. Sound good? From there on out I’m stuck. Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

Thanks again for such a great forum. :pirate:

I think 'Ohana is a great way to kick off your trip.

Since you have the dining plan I think you need to make sure you have enough ADRs to use your credits. I’ve seen too many people turned away at restaurants. Make an ADR for every day (or a 2 credit restaurant and skip a day) and once you get there you can work around that.

We plan our ADRs around what park we’re going to be in that day. We do some extra magic and skip other so I plan around that schedule.

Here’s a site that has all the menus so you can find places you family will like. Some suggestions are Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge, Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness (2 credits), Le Cellier at Epcot, and either Sci Fi or 50’s Primetime Cafe at Hollywood Studios.

Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

I agree! I’d first start by deciding which parks you’ll be (or won’t be) in each day. From there you can narrow down the best restaurants in or around those particular parks or wherever you are. Some days you may want to use your table service for breakfast or lunch. But, as we’ve already said, it’s best to know where you’ll be first.

Sre you going to all parks? Are you picky eaters, or not? Here are places that I would suggest:
Ohana will be great.
At the MK, I would suggest that Plaza Restaurant, or Crystal Palace (Pooh characters).
At EPCOT, the Favorite is Le Cellier in Canada, but all are good. Try Tutto Italia in Italy, Coral Reef in The Living Seas.
In HS, I might suggest Sci- Fi Dine In restaurant (you get to eat in a car).
In AK, try Tusker house for breakfast (a Mickey character meal).

These are merely suggestions, but I am not sure what you all like to eat. You can also look at allearsnet.com to look at menus. The easiest thing to do is decide where you are going on day one, and plan you meal according to that… then move on. There are a ton of good places to eat- you can’t really go wrong… Have a great trip.

I love starting our trip at Ohana. Its a fun atmosphere and the food is very good.

As far as other places to eat, I would go with what the others are telling you and look at the menus on allears. Also a great book is Passporters walt disney travel guide. It really explains the dinning plan, gives a listing of all the resturants, a discription of the food and atmosphere and weather or not its on the dinning plan, as well if it is 1 or 2 table service credits.

Once you pick out the places you would like to eat, write down an iteniry and have it ready when you call to make your ADRs. Also, have back up resturants in case the ones you would like are booked.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Everyone here is awesome at answering questions.

All this information is fantastic! Thank you. We’re not overly picky on the food we eat, but we’ll make sure to check out the menus. How do the Extra Magic Hours work? I see that certain parks stay open longer on specific days, but are these hours only for specific resort properties or all of them. Like I said earlier, we’re staying at the POR. Is it true that if you book a breakfast in a given park you can actually get into the park before they open as well? One more question. Is the 90 day ADR based on the first night of your stay or is it 90 days out from each specific date. In other words, do we have to wait until 90 days out from the last night we’re staying at POR to make all our ADRs?

It’s 90 days out from your first day and you can book for up to 10 days then.

Extra Magic Hours are for all resorts guests no matter what Disney resort you’re staying at.

Yes, if you book a breakfast in a park before that park opens you will be allowed in early. It’s a fun way to see a park with very few people around.

Hi there and welcome to MB.

Extra magic hours is for anyone staying on site at a disney resort. I don’t know about Swan and Dolphin, but POR is definitely ok.

ADR for breakfast…yes you get to go in a little early. I don’t think they will let you in like 45 min ahead of time, but enough time to get a quick picture as you walk down main.

I’m pretty sure the 90 days is from your starting date. So 90 days from you arriving date and then book for your whole trip. Unless your trip is more than ten days, you might need to call back for a longer trip. Some one will know the right info for a longer trip.

Sorry DT, I just type too slow

[QUOTE=sandmshall;953065]Ok…we’re only a couple weeks out from our 90 day ADR date and we’re completely lost. I have heard many different theories on how to plan these things. All the way from planning out every day to just shooting from the hip to everything in between.

There are (5) of us, 2 adults and 3 boys (15,14,10). I’d use all the initials, such as DS DW DS DT DR Dwhatever, but I’d have to sift through the lists and all the print outs I have in my individual “Disney” folders just to find out what they all mean. :blink:

Our dates are July 24th through August 1st, 2009. We’re staying at the Port Orleans Riverside based on many different reviews from this website. We can’t wait to go and it looks like nothing but a great place. I’m a fisherman, so I can’t wait to drop a dark green jerk bait into the lagoon near the pool.

The 2 adults haven’t been to Disney in over 20 years, but the 2 oldest have been there last year. My youngest has never been to Disney and will “drop a jaw” when we get there. This will be his first plane trip as well, so I want this trip to be the best for him.

Now for the ADRs. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? We have the Basic Plan so we get a sit down everyday. I think I want to start with Ohana on the first night to start of the trip. Sound good? From there on out I’m stuck. Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!

Thanks again for such a great forum. :pirate:[/QUOTE]
Checking out the menus on All Ears is a great way to be sure you find restaurants your family will enjoy. Here are some of our favorites: Ohana, Chef Mickeys, Cape May, Liberty Tree, and Crystal Palace.

:cheshire::goofybounce::simba: Since your boys are older you may want to take advantage of the night EMH. I know some people favor the am hours but our boys loved being in the parks late at night!( which was good since I usually had to pry them out of bed with a crow bar!) Also it’s really warm in the summer, the waterparks are great for teenagers! When we go and don’t have park-hopper, we plan our day around the night EMH and have dinner in that park. But we have been many times and our approach may not work for everyone! We do see and do everything we want to do though. We love Chef Mickeys, Crystal Palace, Ohanas, Coral reef,Teppan Edo,Mama Melrose, Bomas…:laugh: I’m getting hungry!!

Hey, with your group I highly suggest Le Cellier at epcot!! It is sooo yummy! Their cheese soup is to die for!! Also you might consider Hoop De Doo. That is a dinner show and is so great!!! It will take 2 of your dining credits, just so you know!!!

Also, with your group you also do not want to miss Piano Bob at POR!! Your kids would love him. He plays in the lounge next to the restaurant Boatwrights at POR on Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat from 8 to midnight!!! He is sooo fun we usually try to see his show twice while we are there!!! Have soo much fun!