Dis resorts and bed bugs

Where does Disney stand on bed bugs? Any infestations yet? Are they taking precautions? Or is it a media scare, non-issue?

I hope not! I like to hear the answer to this too, so BUMP!

Check out this website.

The Bed Bug Registry

[QUOTE=buzz2001;1047518]Check out this website.

The Bed Bug Registry
[/QUOTE]

UGH! Yuck! :glare:

SO forgetting I read through some of those! Eww!

Wow, lots of them at POR. I certainly hope we don’t come across any, I will flip my lid.

YIKES! That totally wigs me out!:blow:

Luckily, we didn’t see any when were there 2 weeks ago. My fingers are crossed that you won’t either.

Sooooo what are they doing about it? Are they taking preventative steps? Safeguarding the rooms? Or are they just taking care of the guests that are affected and actually complain?

A very disturbing article.:blow:

Ok, that is just another way to be dramatic. I only read the first post in Buzz’s link there and you can get rid of bedbugs by buying the protective covers, you know the zippered things that cover the entire mattress and box springs, so that you’ll starve those things and they can’t escape.
I check my mattresses and box springs after every guest. If there were any little critters, they would be easy to see

ok so the advice is: before you lay your tired body into any foreign bed, meaning not your bed, lift the sheets and look around the edging and in the corners of the mattress. If you see dark little spots and creepy crawlies, call the front desk

[QUOTE=Dopey;1047538]Ok, that is just another way to be dramatic. I only read the first post in Buzz’s link there and you can get rid of bedbugs by buying the protective covers, you know the zippered things that cover the entire mattress and box springs, so that you’ll starve those things and they can’t escape.
I check my mattresses and box springs after every guest. If there were any little critters, they would be easy to see[/QUOTE]

I think all of the media hype about bed bugs this week is over the top, however when I read about someplace that I’ve stayed having them, I want to :blow:! Yuck! It’s good to know that there are good, responsible innkeepers like you, Iris. DH has to travel next week to the Orlando area for work, and I’ve already been telling him to check for any little critters before getting settled in his room. I don’t want any of those boogers coming into my house!

Thanks Dopey. We bought spray for the stay at the hotels on our trip down. Good to know how to look for them and that there are responsible companies out there.

Strange, in all the years and all the motels/hotels I’ve stayed in, I have never had to deal with bed bugs.
I have to wonder how many of these people who say they didn’t notice anything until they got home really did bring home the bedbugs from WDW or if they acquired them on the plane or at some other lodging they stayed at during their trip.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1047564]Strange, in all the years and all the motels/hotels I’ve stayed in, I have never had to deal with bed bugs.
I have to wonder how many of these people who say they didn’t notice anything until they got home really did bring home the bedbugs from WDW or if they acquired them on the plane or at some other lodging they stayed at during their trip.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That’s why we have spray for the trip down and back. I have always carried Lysol with me and sprayed everything and anything while staying at a hotel. Bed, floors, bathroom, register vents etc. I distinctly remember our first stay on DW property in 2k. We were at the ASMusic. We were there for 4 days before my wife told me that I hadn’t broke out the Lysol yet. :eek: That’s how comfortable I felt when I walked into the room. It just felt clean.

These lists where people post their complaints are really hurtful and often the posts are made up. You know the people that have nothing better to do but post complaints.
For goodness sakes, I have had a tripadvisor complaint about my place for people smoking outside of their cottage and having a beer. Would they have liked it better if the people smoked inside the rooms?

I am against such lists and believe about 1 % of what I read.

That’s what went through my mind. I’m wondering how many are truthful, how many were making it up to get something free, or how many actually planted the bugs to get free lodging. Nothing surprises me now days.

Never hurts to check though, which is what I will do when we check into our room. We have only had 1 problem while staying on WDW property and that was the POR. My DH broke out into a rash and he had to go to the doctor twice when he got home. It was not from an airplane or other lodging. We live 4 hrs away from the WDW Resort area.

I thought I was always cautious when traveling but I see there is much more I need to check when entering a room. Gross!

When we went to Arizona in 2006 we stayed 9 nights in 6 different hotels. The first thing I did BEFORE bringing the luggage in was pull the sheets back and check the mattress. At first DH was like what are you doing? by the end of the trip he opened the door and just stood there cause he knew what I was doing! LOL

I didn’t see any problems and we didn’t have any problems fortunately. Rooms were all exceptionally clean. Most of them were Days Inns.

Hmmmmm that only had 21 reports out of HOW MANY ROOMS AT WDW?

From what news reports are saying most of the bugs are being picked up at the airports and that is how they are “arriving” at the hotels.

FYI - Lysol will not kill the bugs! The reason the treatment is so expensive is each bug has to be individually sprayed to be killed - and yes Bed Bugs are on the rise, but will a little precaution (checking the bed before you get in it, and not storing your clothes in the drawers unless inspected first) you will be fine.

I’d be more worried about the comforter that is on the bed - :blow: that thing comes right off the bed and is put in the corner the second we walk in the room. :biggrin: