Disney being sued

I am not sure what side I am on but a company does have the right to tell it’s employees what or what not to wear.
msnbc.com Video Player

I can see both sides. On one hand, if you are required to wear a uniform at work, you must abide by the dress code. Almost every job has rules on how to dress. However, she is an American citizen and has a right to religous expression. I mean, if a person had a necklace on with a cross or a Jewish star, that would be religious expression as well. I think Disney may be taking it a bit far, but they do have to draw the line. She seems harmless, but there are some people who would take it to the extreme. The fact that she just all of a sudden started to wear it may be an issue. Had she discussed it with her supervisor beforehand, they may have agreed to it.

Sorry, soap box time.

This is a dress code issue, not a supression of religous rights. If you know the job has a dress code rules when hired then cut the *^$%^$ and expect that the code to be changed just for little old you. Rules are rules. End of story. I am so sick of people thinking that an employer has to cave to every wish, wimm and desire thrown at them by employees. If the employees don’t like it they should open up their own businesses.

As a side note Disney did offer her an opportunity to work off stage at the same rate of pay and hourly schedule during ramadan. I guess she refused. Her religous rights were respected. End of story. I hope Disney runs this to the Supreme Court.

I’m stepping down now and returning to happy thoughts.:happy::happy:

Disney has the right to enforce their dress code. They were more then will to accommodate her with a none on stage position. Also it sounds like Disney has their costume department working on a solution.

Hmmm… this is a really hard one. I strongly believe that Disney ought to be able to tell their employees what to wear without being sued.

I also understand that Disney is likely taking a “slippery slope” approach.

I didn’t like her snotty attitude about the backstage job she was offered, saying she was a person, too… I’m sure anyone working backstage really appreciates knowing that they’re less-than-people. @@

But I’m not sure that Disney’s not being short-sighted. The woman works, I understand, at a hotel? (It sounded like they said “Grand Hotel”, so I’m not sure what’s up there, and for some reason I can’t get the video to load a second time.) Well… that seems different than a lot of other on stage roles. She’s not playing a train conductor on the frontier… she IS a woman working the front desk. The hijab doesn’t seem, to me, something that would take a guest out of the magic. Her job isn’t to “help” someone like Ariel, after all.

I think Alicefan has a good point, that if the woman had discussed it beforehand, it might not have been a problem.

However… if I were Disney, I’d be going ballistic that she gave that interview in her costume.

I’m sorry but I’m 100% Disney! After x amount of years she just now started to wear it? I’m sorry but you knew the dress code. And honestly, DISNEY? HELLO they have probably the strictest code of all. She just wants $$ and 15 minutes of fame. And she will get $$ bc I bet Disney will settle out of court.

I am getting to the point that I think everyone should be given a one piece jumpsuit from the government and a name tag…problem is we would fight over the color of the jumpsuit and shape of the name tag.

Oh has any seen what Miss USA will be wearing at the Miss Universe contest tonight? Doesn’t look like your typical islamic dress (yes she is a muslim):

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1046067]Sorry, soap box time.

This is a dress code issue, not a supression of religous rights. If you know the job has a dress code rules when hired then cut the *^$%^$ and expect that the code to be changed just for little old you. Rules are rules. End of story. I am so sick of people thinking that an employer has to cave to every wish, wimm and desire thrown at them by employees. If the employees don’t like it they should open up their own businesses.

As a side note Disney did offer her an opportunity to work off stage at the same rate of pay and hourly schedule during ramadan. I guess she refused. Her religous rights were respected. End of story. I hope Disney runs this to the Supreme Court.

I’m stepping down now and returning to happy thoughts.:happy::happy:[/QUOTE]

VERY well said!

Get a bigger soap box and I’ll stand there with you.

I agree completely. Why does she expect Disney to be the only one to compromise? They offered a solution off-stage and she refused. Why can’t she compromise too? All seen positions are part of the “Disney Theater” and the way you are dressed is part of the show. Precisely why Walt wanted the underground facilities in WDW. You never see a Frontierland worker in Tomorrowland because it would ruin the “show”. This woman is out for nothing more than money and to push an agenda. It is shameless.

So, she was able to take it off for the first whatever many years while working there, and now suddenly it is against her religion. That is ridiculous!!!

We’re all raised to be so pc these days - but I can see both sides…

I do understand about dress codes, but would Disney tell an employee to remove a cross? Or a Star of David? For instance would they ask an orthodox Jewish man to not wear a yamulka? If they do (maybe there is a rule about it)- then I think they have the right to tell this young lady to remove the hajib - because all are symbols of religion. If they allow the cross or Star of David or the yamulka - then no - they should also allow the hajib.

I don’t see the reason that she just started to wear it as a reason to come down on her. Many people have faith reforms, changes, etc. and perhaps this is just something she has decided she wishes to do. As Andrea said - I don’t see how working in a hotel and wearing a hajib would be offensive. I know it wouldn’t bother me. (neither would the yamulka).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That’s quite… ah… something. :laugh:

The part that I don’t like about this is why wasn’t it discussed at the point of first hire? From the stories I’ve read she isn’t newly converted into the religion or anything & when you are hired by Disney one of the first things you do is go through training that teaches you their EXACT rules & regulations about costume & appearances. If it were me, right then and there, I would have been like “hmm, this could be an issue for me. I better discuss it with them.” Even if I didn’t choose to wear my -insert religious item here- at that time I’d at least say something asking if it would ever be a problem should I choose.

Out of curiosity I just texted my good friend who’s a new CM and he said if you wear a cross or Star of David it must stayed tucked into your costume, out of sight. He was unsure about the yamulka rule, saying he’s never seen one, but if they wish to wear it at all times they often have backstge roles where it doesn’t interfere with costuming.

I was just thinking about it more & made an interesting comparison in my head; what about actors & actresses? Their job is to step into the role in which they are playing, they become that character through costume, bahavior, mannerisms, etc. When they’re on Broadway, television, on film, etc. they most often leave any religious symbols behind to transform into their character for the show.

Disney has it organized so that employees (cast members) ARE playing a role, “on stage” as they refer to it, and sometimes mannerisms & even accents are used to tranform into that role (Haunted Mansion CMs, ToT CMs, etc), costumes are DEFINATELY being utilized as part of the “show.”

If my job involved being a “cast member” for anything, where on “stage” I became whatever my costume was intending to convey I wouldn’t expect to bring my own pieces of physically identity into that ‘role’ unless it was accepted as part of the show.

Seeing these religious items would never be offensive to me, especially since I live somewhere where I see almost every ethnicity & religious affiliation all the time but I get it, in this case.

amen! as you said, “You never see a Frontierland worker in Tomorrowland because it would ruin the ‘show’.” Walt wanted it to be as realistic as possible. she was able to work off-stage, and she rejected the opportunity. AND DISNEY SHOULD COMPROMISE AND SHE SHOULDN’T? :ohmy::wacko::glare:

Im confused here she had no complaints until she became a citizen. NOW SHE wants all her rights under the constitution. And to hear her on the video go on about not taking away who she is.
Its the same old thing in not only the US but here in Canada we the people who have been long standing citizens born under the flag have to change to accomodate someone elses religious beliefs customs or what ever.
IF THE SHOE WAS on the other foot and we tried to enforce our religious beliefs in a country whose religious beleifs are not mine I am sure the consequences would be more severe and I would be thrown out of their country or worse.
Immigrants must understand that by coming to our COunrty they must abide by our rules or go back
Duisney is a PRIVTE company and if the head garment is not a partof the costume then take it off or take another position where this situation will not raise its ugly head. Sounds like she may be looking at a cash hand out to make it all go away,
I hope Disney keeps their stance and challenges this lady or anyone who challenges them.

I don’t know if they would have agreed to it if she had brought it up beforehand. It seems to me that if they allow a deviation from the “normal” costuming for any position, they invite all sorts of unwanted changes from the standard. Put the head scarf, the cross, the star on after work I say.
How would that play out if she were a princess? Would she insist on wearing that head scarf then too?
It’s like Disney says, they are “on stage” it’s a role the cast members play.
They did offer her a position away from the guests. Why not take it?